• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Exhaust sound gone quiet ??

suthers

Mar 9, 2021
Bristol
What’s up my dudes,

I’m an i30N owner, had it just over a year from new and done 8k miles I love the car and had no issues with it... until now😭

I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that the sound of it just isn’t as aggressive. When putting it in N mode it sounds exactly the same as sport mode. I was reading a couple of other threads that were on here and someone mentioned a inside the right exhaust tip opening/closing depending on the drive mode that you’re in. I’ve had a look and mine doesn’t seem to be moving at all.
I’m not very clued up on this so seeing if anyone had any experience with this or any recommendations to fix it?

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
What’s up my dudes,

I’m an i30N owner, had it just over a year from new and done 8k miles I love the car and had no issues with it... until now😭

I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that the sound of it just isn’t as aggressive. When putting it in N mode it sounds exactly the same as sport mode. I was reading a couple of other threads that were on here and someone mentioned a inside the right exhaust tip opening/closing depending on the drive mode that you’re in. I’ve had a look and mine doesn’t seem to be moving at all.
I’m not very clued up on this so seeing if anyone had any experience with this or any recommendations to fix it?
It should slowly cycle the exhaust flap on engine start, get someone to start the car while you look into the rh exhaust tip. Does the flap move?

The ECU regularly cycles this flap to prevent seizing.

_Emma

Nthusiast
Oct 29, 2018
UK
Might be worth topping up with something else, try a tank of premium if you don’t use it already? I occasionally get a batch where my car seems to go a bit quiet on me (could be in my head mind you 😂) I use momentum from Tesco and it’s usually pretty good.

suthers

Mar 9, 2021
Bristol
It should slowly cycle the exhaust flap on engine start, get someone to start the car while you look into the rh exhaust tip. Does the flap move?

The ECU regularly cycles this flap to prevent seizing.
No the flaps not moving at all

suthers

Mar 9, 2021
Bristol
That's why then, dealer warranty claim I reckon, make sure the wiring connector is firmly attached to the valve motor.
Is it in the closed position?
I’ve got it booked in for Hyundai to look at it anyway,
and no it’s half open. It’s like it’s stuck in sport mode

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
My old Focus RS was pretty bad for the valve playing up, touch wood the N hasn't been:
Little tips and tricks if you fancy laying on the floor and 10mins DIY :)

1) Gently try and poke the flap with a stick (other tools are available)......no, seriously. Be gentle and see if it just got itself stuck. Crud builds up and they aren't the most robust things.
2) Do the old IT trick of unplugging it (give the connections a clean while you are there) and plug it back in.
3) Spray it with some WD40.
4) The dealer is probably going to just replace the whole back box anyway so no harm trying the above 👍

i30+N+exhaust.jpg

Reactions: GazmaN and Bu11eT

suthers

Mar 9, 2021
Bristol
My old Focus RS was pretty bad for the valve playing up, touch wood the N hasn't been:
Little tips and tricks if you fancy laying on the floor and 10mins DIY :)

1) Gently try and poke the flap with a stick (other tools are available)......no, seriously. Be gentle and see if it just got itself stuck. Crud builds up and they aren't the most robust things.
2) Do the old IT trick of unplugging it (give the connections a clean while you are there) and plug it back in.
3) Spray it with some WD40.
4) The dealer is probably going to just replace the whole back box anyway so no harm trying the above 👍

View attachment 16399
Thanks bro I’ll have a look!

Reactions: loafer-N77