• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Exhaust rattle

rover137

Nthusiast
Jan 4, 2023
Canberra
I have the infamous exhaust rattle.

I read somewhere a while ago that someone took their car in and there was an ECU update as a fix. Apparently all this did was open the flap. So rattle gone, but you lose normal mode. As this rattle only appears in normal mode I guess they thought this was good enough. Joke of a fix.

I had the ECU update done today and I swear now my normal mode just sounds like sport mode pretty much. So of course the rattle is gone. Has anyone else had this happen as well? I have nothing to compare it too so not sure if im imagining things or not.

How did you update your ECU?

its not the ECU its the exchaust Valve spring that rattles you need to get an upgraded one:

How did you update your ECU?

its not the ECU its the exchaust Valve spring that rattles you need to get an upgraded one:
Yeah I know that re the spring.

I had it done under warranty. They said that they would replace the actuator and put the new spring in a certain orientation. Then when I got the car back they said they did an ECU update as per a bulletin which fixed it.

When the car is stationary there is no difference to sport and normal mode in terms of flap position. When revved it sounds the same. When moving sport and normal mode sound different. I think the update just altered the flap when the car is stationary which is when you mostly hear the rattle. Stupid fix. Exhaust can’t rattle in normal mode if they remove it.