• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

EVO magazine

HYMLF

Sep 9, 2019
Cheshire
The January 2020 edition of EVO includes a nice series of articles on N cars. Those of us who own one will no doubt appreciate the positive reviews and enjoy the background information on the development of what we so enjoy to drive. It appears the 8 speed auto is planned for a 2020 launch. I've never had issues with my manual, ok 1st and 6th sometimes need a second attempt, but the gear changes that matter when making progress are silky smooth with rifle bolt action. I'll definitely test drive the auto though and then decide if it's worth trading in my PB.

Reactions: GazmaN

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
The January 2020 edition of EVO includes a nice series of articles on N cars. Those of us who own one will no doubt appreciate the positive reviews and enjoy the background information on the development of what we so enjoy to drive. It appears the 8 speed auto is planned for a 2020 launch. I've never had issues with my manual, ok 1st and 6th sometimes need a second attempt, but the gear changes that matter when making progress are silky smooth with rifle bolt action. I'll definitely test drive the auto though and then decide if it's worth trading in my PB.
The Dec edition had a brilliant hot hatch mega test 14 of the best hot hatches you can buy today i30n included it did well I wont tell you where it eventually finished but let's just say it did us proud.

HYMLF

Sep 9, 2019
Cheshire
Yes I saw that one too but I'd rather look out my window and see an N on my drive than an FK8 Type R!! The N is the winner in my book.

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
Yes I saw that one too but I'd rather look out my window and see an N on my drive than an FK8 Type R!! The N is the winner in my book.
Yes I know what you mean, somebody once described the looks of the Type R as like somebody had crashed a car through Halfords window and everything had stuck to it, about right but it does go well.

Seano1878

Oct 18, 2019
Manchester
Have you been on the evo Instagram and YouTube channel? I’m a big fan of the N (obviously because I bought one) but it just seems so forced. As though it’s promoted but doesn’t say it is. Every second article is about the i30N. I mean it’s good but it’s not the most spectacular car I’ve driven.

Will still pick up the magazine. Doubt I’ll be going for an automatic any time soon though, not in a hot hatch or drivers car anyway. I love that a few car makers still cater towards those that love manual performance cars. Agree about having the N on the drive too, I think it’s such a good looking car whereas the civic looks horrendous! The civic also sounded crap on my test drive, though I will say it pulls like a train, so much more power and the gear change is ridiculously good. Sadly didn’t get to test it dynamically.

Reactions: pillred and iiNNEX

iiNNEX

Sep 5, 2019
Surrey, UK
I don't see an Auto i30N being any fun. If you want that, get literally any other hot hatch that already has a DSG/DCT/Auto, it will feel exactly the same. The gearbox was one of the key selling points for me (even with it's weird 6 gear engagement sometimes) it is still rock solid. Only thing better is the Type R's gearbox but that has it's own issues on the FK2 and FK8 early models with 4th gear randomly popping out after flooring it.

Reactions: Seano1878

Manted

May 3, 2018
Buxton
Personally I found the gearbox pretty poor on the N.On colder mornings 1st to 2nd always needed a good pull,and 5th to 6th could be embarrassing.My current car a mk4 Focus ST has the best feel of anything I’ve driven.Just my opinion.

Seano1878

Oct 18, 2019
Manchester
My gearbox seems to have loosened up quite a lot during running in, it’s now actually quite enjoyable to use and doesn’t stick in sixth. (touch wood)

Bigmon

Oct 19, 2019
South Devon
And this STILL seems to be ongoing, 2 YEARS into a production.
Just like lots of other cars then! My Fiesta and Lupo GTI both used to pop out of reverse when under heavy load (and both were several years into their production run), and both had other niggles too. In fact, all my cars have had niggles come to think of it.

I'm three months into I30N ownership and I'm loving it. :)

marksandygill

Jun 6, 2019
Southampton
Considering the issues many I30n's have, its saying something that if I ever have to give up my BMW company cars it would still be a tough choice between a Fastback n and an M140i (that's not something I ever thought I'd say!:D)

greybeard

Mar 26, 2020
Carlisle , England
For the last two years, up to last week , I was driving an FK8 Type R. I won't say a bad thing about it. As far as looks go, not for everyone. But everything had a job to do. It did look like the Batmobile in black , but it went like stink and had superb handling.But it came time to move on, so what better than the car that always gave it a bloody nose in various reviews. I think in the real world my Fastback seems just as quick , and is so much more refined, infotainment,seats etc. I think I'm going to be very pleased with it. I say " Think" as two days after driving it home, the lockdown started.

Dunton10

Apr 11, 2019
Sutton Coldfield
I’ve got a 2019 hatchback in clean slare. No gearbox issues as such. Bit Notchy between first and second but seems better as miles are going on and better if you get a few revs on in first, nothing too drastic but around 3000 rpm say. Other than that everything has been great.
oh one of the sticky out things in the cup holder has pushed through, will be fixed under warranty at some point.
first service completed the week before lock down at 6500 miles. Seems they did an ok job, oil level spot on and no excess miles put on whilst in their hands.

Reactions: GazmaN

greybeard

Mar 26, 2020
Carlisle , England
Dunton 10, As a fastback owner you've probably watched it. I cant get enough of EVO mag's editor Steve Sutcliffe's review on you-tube, i30N v the Nurburgring. Watched it numerous times already.

Reactions: Rewind