• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Engine startup issues

There is a plethora of reasons for the issue. Everything from a bad boot, spark plug to software reflashing. It's a matter of diagnosing the problem correctly. There is not one fix for all. :)

If it's the spark plug boots clean them and use some dielectric grease.

If it's the coil pack, swap one out till you find the bad one or check it's capacity.

If it's ECU software, take it in and ask for the software to be reflashed.

The list goes on and on, most of which has been discussed here at one time or another .:)

It's been a little over two months and 2,500+ kilometers since my first visit to the dealer.
Then the dealer found a wet candle, wiped it and put it back (idiots), today at the opening of the candle was again wet.
Also the first cylinder was diagnosed by an oscilloscope, forgive me for the Russian speech, if in short - at first the moment of idling is shown, and then at the moment when I pressed the gas pedal to the floor sharply.
It's me at the service of my friends, in a couple of days I will go to the dealer again and I no longer know how to prove to them that there is clearly something wrong with the car.
20200723_153806.jpg

Reactions: Bu11eT
Use the video or take it to another dealership that is responsive to your needs. :)

Common place to pull the plugs, clean them and reinstall. You may have a leaky fuel injector controller or fuel injector but an oscilloscope isn't going to demonstrate it. They need to do a cylinder and FI leak down test of the system. Without doing this first, they won't find the issue.

Mine has gone really bad today. For the first time she has failed to start. Got up to 500-700 rpm and stalled. Also, whilst driving and using start/stop, before shutting off the engine she'd hold the revs at 500rpm and vibrate big time. Visit to the dealer was already scheduled for 11th. Hope nothing goes belly up until then :|

Mine has gone really bad today. For the first time she has failed to start. Got up to 500-700 rpm and stalled. Also, whilst driving and using start/stop, before shutting off the engine she'd hold the revs at 500rpm and vibrate big time. Visit to the dealer was already scheduled for 11th. Hope nothing goes belly up until then :|
Any engine check light on?

I was hoping there would be as then it would log a fault code. When you start the car do you just push the start button immediately or do you do acc, then ignition on, then after the tank pump has initialised then start?

I was hoping there would be as then it would log a fault code. When you start the car do you just push the start button immediately or do you do acc, then ignition on, then after the tank pump has initialised then start?
I've tried both actually and the time when it failed to start it was acc, ignition on, wait until beeps stop and push the button. looked at the video again and no check engine light for sure

I've tried both actually and the time when it failed to start it was acc, ignition on, wait until beeps stop and push the button. looked at the video again and no check engine light for sure
Could be a faulty crankshaft position sensor, that wouldn't throw a CEL either.
Quite a few people appear to be having this sort of issue only on a cold start. Reminds me of a lexus I had back in 2002, that was reluctant to start in cold weather, a software update at the dealer sorted it. Pity they Fu**ed it up by not reconnecting the radiator fans afterwards.

Could be a faulty crankshaft position sensor, that wouldn't throw a CEL either.
Quite a few people appear to be having this sort of issue only on a cold start. Reminds me of a lexus I had back in 2002, that was reluctant to start in cold weather, a software update at the dealer sorted it. Pity they Fu**ed it up by not reconnecting the radiator fans afterwards.
That was a warm start though. Let's see what the dealer says. Will mention what Tom posted earlier in the thread as well. Hope it won't take too long and they will actually listen. Already prepared a bunch of startup videos haha

Tough luck for now. Only swapped around spark plugs and issue did not present itself at the dealer.. Have a feeling it might take some time to figure it out.

Faulty Crankshaft Sensor will throw a P0335 in the ECU. What you might do is disconnect the sensor, clean it well with contact cleaner than utilize some dielectric grease when reinstalling. It sits in from of the motor and is exposed to anything that come thru the radiator. If it starts to corrode, it can cause issues with stalling and starting.

Reactions: icelink
Mine had a long start (5 seconds?) once at about 300 miles. Has not happened again yet at 1300 miles. Will monitor. It’s annoying for sure. It’s definitely a fuel injection issue by the behavior.

Faulty Crankshaft Sensor will throw a P0335 in the ECU. What you might do is disconnect the sensor, clean it well with contact cleaner than utilize some dielectric grease when reinstalling. It sits in from of the motor and is exposed to anything that come thru the radiator. If it starts to corrode, it can cause issues with stalling and starting.

I need to go back in for faulty alarm sensor anyway. Will keep on monitoring things in the meanwhile. Tried opening the link but alas:"Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market "

Reactions: R Veloster N
Mine has done this on start up a couple of times now, turns over for longer than you would expect. I switch the ignition on and let it do it's checks then fire, has worked straight away every time I've done that. I'm just going to monitor it and see how it goes.

Mine has done this on start up a couple of times now, turns over for longer than you would expect. I switch the ignition on and let it do it's checks then fire, has worked straight away every time I've done that. I'm just going to monitor it and see how it goes.
Did it sort itself out?