• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Engine Splutter/Choke at High Revs when driven hard - RaceChip

RGW3799

Nov 26, 2019
UK
Morning All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem i have been getting. I have a RaceChip GTS Black fitted to my i30N and it has made it much more fun to drive, the power is amazing.
However when i am driving the car really hard, and pushing it. At higher revs in 4th or 5th gear the engine starts to splutter and cut out. I have to lift off the pedal and back on again to sort the problem.

I was racing a Focus RS and just when i got to a stage when i could get past him it started doing it. (The i30N with the race chip is definitely faster than a stock mk3 focus RS).
I was also racing a M140i yesterday and it was doing it again. (Also kept right on the M140i at all speeds, not bad for a Hyundai).

It seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel or something as everything else is stock apart from the pipecross air filter.

What do people think?

Car is claimed to be at 315Bhp and 500Nm.

Thanks All.

Reactions: Crocoman
Datalogging will tell you.
👆
this.

but guessing right out the blue, I'd say is a fuel issue. The stock fuel pump does not seem to provide enough fuel. Dropping fuel pressure has already been observed on some stock cars, however not to a high degree. The cars did still run fine. However with a GTS Black installed I could imagine this being an issues here.
However thats just guessing. Datalog it and take a look at the fuel pressure in these situations.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Is it doing it without the racechip as well?

And that is why I don't install those powerboxes. If something is wrong, you don't know what. A good tuner would have seen this problem on the dyno when mapping, and probaly knew what the issue was straight away. :)

Reactions: Bu11eT
I had the Racechip Ultimate for my Kia Pro Ceed GT. it certainly gave the quoted power gains in my opinion but the delivery was off at times. Good for a no frills, plug and play box.

However.

I started to get a problem (which sounds identical to your issue). Occasionally when I was going full throttle and shifting up, the revs would ‘hang’ and I’d need to lift off and sometimes change gear to fix the issue.

It happened more and more often.

I contacted Racechip and they actually gave me a Full refund (after 12 months of use btw) and the Racechip was then pulled from sale for my particular car.

Now, I’m not here to bash or slate these tuning boxes or indeed any modification. I’ve done loads now and have had 3 different tuning boxes on my last 2 cars.

BUT. The more I look at the data, my own and other peoples experiences etc it just doesn’t look good for the research and development of these boxes.

Tuning boxes were on sale within TWO months of the I30N’s release. I’m sorry, but that’s a generic box, made to work for our car, with very little R & D put in.

If it was me, I would remove the box but you need to confirm if the car still behaves that way with the box removed of course.

All in my opinion of course.

Check the simplest things first; Air, Fuel and Electric. Being this is a plug and play unit I'd do a couple of things first;

1. Do as @Crocoman suggested first and verify there is no existing issues without the box.

2. Next check the map you're utilizing. Go higher or lower than what it presently being utilized. Also check with Race Chips and see if there is a new download available for the unit.

3. I'd seriously consider a different heat range plug, if it's doing so at higher rpms and hard use. The OEM plugs are heat range 8. Try a set of HKS M45XL/ heat range 9.

Typically, the OEM plugs are not good performers at higher rpms and speeds. They tend to carbon up and foul, especially with timing being changed by the RaceChip GTS. or any tuner. The twin turbo Stinger, is notorious for this with any tuner installed. Even with the BTR JB4 tuner.

This is most likely the issue and not the tuner. Most tuners requires a spark plug change with their remaps and piggyback tuners.:)👍

Reactions: Bu11eT