• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine availability i30 range

ChristofR-N

Mar 12, 2018
As I understand, the i30 (not 'N') is available with a whole range of petrol engines and diesel engines. Only, not in every country.
In Belgium for example, we have the 1.6 diesel, and the 1L 120hp and the 1.4 140hp in the petrol range. That's it.

Apparently, in Australia, on top of the 1.0 and 1.4, you can also get the 1.6 and even the 2.0 which is the base for the i30N AFAIK...
Australia and other countries, I assume, can get the 'SR' with a 1.6 and a 'normal' 2.0 petrol engine, which is a 'sporty' i30, rather than a i30N hot hatch.

Now, that puzzles me. In Belgium where I live, the only way to drive a 'fast' i30, is to get the 'N'. I think that Hyundai is missing out on a lot of customers. I bought the 'N', but not everyone who wants a 'sporty' hatch is prepared to pay the price of the i30N, not to mention the road costs.

How about the country you live in ? Which engines are on offer for you ? Is the range as limited as in Belgium, or rather well stocked like in Australia ?

Reactions: Stash-N
I would think that across EU there is one engine range, but seeing how different accessories are (un)available I'm not 100% anymore... I wished for 2.0 petrol engines in Kia/Hyundai too, but what can you do...
Poland:
1529321343622.png

same engines in Lithuania - 1.4 MPI, 1.0 T-GDI, 1.4 T-GDI + 1.6 CRDI (in 3 diff. kW/Nm options - 95, 110 and 136 PS)

btw, it seems that Baltic countries have the "cheapest" i30N on EU's market ;)

24990 eur for Base and 27990 eur for the Perf. model (+7 years warranty)

Last edited:
Reactions: BadShadd
same engines in Lithuania - 1.4 MPI, 1.0 T-GDI, 1.4 T-GDI + 1.6 CRDI (in 3 diff. kW/Nm options - 95, 110 and 136 PS)

btw, it seems that Baltic countries have the "cheapest" i30N on EU's market ;)

24990 eur for Base and 27990 eur for the Perf. model
yeah its nearly 6k more here :/ Wonder how much from price differences are coming from hyundai, I suppose most of it is country specific taxes, customs and stuff?

at the moment our country doesn't have any specific taxes on engine displacement / power / CO2 ... our VAT is 21%
customs should be the same across EU

yeah its nearly 6k more here :/ Wonder how much from price differences are coming from hyundai, I suppose most of it is country specific taxes, customs and stuff?

Guess so. Performance model in Belgium costs around 33k euros (list price, not counting dealer discounts). In Holland, on the other hand, the same car costs a whopping 10k euros more (that's about 30% more because of environment taxes which affects sports cars and of course, hot hatches).
Prices have risen by almost 2k euros lately, guess Hyundai has realized the i30N is highly desirable so they're obviously riding the cash-in wave...

Same engines here in Italy, plus a 1.6 CRDI 136 hp.

The i30N costs 32350 for the base 250hp model, 36400 for the performance. 1k for the sunroof. 650 euro for the paint, apart from ER which is free. No other options available. Keep in mind that we have to pay another 4.56 euro * kW of power, in sale taxes. That means that for the i30N, for example, the sale tax is 922 euro. And then we have the annual tax, which is 1122 euro for the i30N.

Now excuse me while I go weep thinking of how much I have to pay :mad:

Buuuut... whatever, it's one hell of a fun car, who cares ! :D

Reactions: asd
A Baltic vacation doesn't sound bad - the price savings & +2 years on the warranty pays for the trip
Not sure about the warranty policy if you want to use it in a different country than the one where you bought it.., anyone had some adventures like that?
It would be a shame if you had to drive/ transport your car to a different country in order to use the warranty:/

I think the engine choices in Australia are the 2.0L Turbo ("N"), the 1.6L Turbo petrol ("SR"), 1.6L Turbo Diesel ("Premium" and "Go" models) and the standard 2.0L NA model (everything else). We usually don't get the ultra small engine choice here unlike the Euro markets that cater for the smaller engines. List of all the curent models here:
https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/res...arRange.range(2018..).)&evnt=sort&sort=~Price

BTW.. the SR 1.6T petrol is very nice and arguably a hot hatch in itself (comparable to the MK V Golf GTI in output). So it is a good alternative to get in Australia at least if you don't want to pay the extra ($15k AUD) or wait (for stocck) for the i30N.

BTW.. the SR 1.6T petrol is very nice and arguably a hot hatch in itself (comparable to the MK V Golf GTI in output). So it is a good alternative to get in Australia at least if you don't want to pay the extra ($15k AUD) or wait (for stocck) for the i30N.

I don't think the normal 2.0 petrol would do well in Europe, but the 1.6T would be a very attractive option for lots of buyers, I'm quite sure of that. I myself was actually looking at the i30 fastback but the 1.4T with 140hp was the most powerful I could get. If there had been a 1.6T with 190hp (is that right), I might have opted for that.
Still, very happy that I bought the 'N'. Most certainly didn't wanted to wait for the 'N' fastback ;)

If there had been a 1.6T with 190hp (is that right), I might have opted for that.

It's rated at 150KW at the crank or a bit over 200BHP. The dual clutch transmission makes it seem faster than what it is too.

Aussies love having bigger engines in general because the fuel is still relatively cheaper than Europe per litre and we have rather long roads outside of the cities that would require a bigger engine to run better on highways etc.

It's rated at 150KW at the crank or a bit over 200BHP. The dual clutch transmission makes it seem faster than what it is too.

Aussies love having bigger engines in general because the fuel is still relatively cheaper than Europe per litre and we have rather long roads outside of the cities that would require a bigger engine to run better on highways etc.

A 1.6 is hardly a 'big' engine...

A 1.6 is hardly a 'big' engine...

Bigger than the <1.4L typically found in most Euro hatches..
Have to remember that the home grown Aussie cars have always been >2.4L going up to the big V8's at 6.0L as their family / common cars.

Bigger than the <1.4L typically found in most Euro hatches..
Have to remember that the home grown Aussie cars have always been >2.4L going up to the big V8's at 6.0L as their family / common cars.

They've only been 'downsizing' engines since about 6 years or so over here in Europe. I've always driven mostly hatches, diesel and petrol and 1.6 and 1.9 for petrol and diesel respectively were very common and certainly not unusual until 'the revolution started'
I'm now driving an Insignia, which is a bigger car than all those I had driven previously, but it only has a 1.6Turbo engine, producing 170hp (there's even a 1.4 with 140hp). This is the facelift model, mind you, the first version had 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines if I'm not mistaken, not even producing more hp than the current 1.6 Turbo.

I don't know, but I'm not a big fan of those small engines. Firstly, most of them sound like lawnmowers when running idle and secondly, a small engine producing all those hp, must reduce the life expectancy of an engine. Or I could be wrong, I'm not an engineer or technician or anything like that. But seeing some cars with a 1.0L engine producing 150hp makes me scratch my head a bit.

I know it's all got to do with the environment, emissions and all that (not to mention lower road costs, less taxes to pay), but still, I'm an old fashioned kind of guy. So the 2.0L engine in the i30N is going to suit me just fine. Two more weeks of waiting in agony, and then I can let rip ;)

By the way, my dream car is a Jaguar XJR, with a nice V8 (guess I would settle for a Bentley Continental GT if they couldn't manage the Jag :p ), but sadly, neither car is within reach of my budget :D

Reactions: asd
@ChristofR-N I'm with you on this. I do realise the technology is improving (mercedes 770 - 7.7l engine 150 bhp ), and given same power a turbo engine will get a better characteristic than a naturally aspirated one (torque availability and fuel economy if you want to eco-drive), but I'm also sceptical about squeezing out lots of power out of smaller engines (looking at you, 308 GTi)...

Reactions: ChristofR-N