• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Brakes Dusting, Pad / Disc Wear & and Brakes / Handbrake Sticking

Car moves when left in gear?? o_O holy moly. I almost never use the handbrake, unless on a hill. And even then i dont overdo it, 2 clicks is plenty for a small slope. Keeping it in 1st gear or Reverse gear is enough for me most of the time.

I have just got my i30 N back from the dealers and they have said there is nothing wrong with the rear brakes which seized over Christmas. Hyundai assistance released the brakes but damaged the pads in the process. They have charged me £242 ! to change them as they will not be replaced under warranty even when the brake fault caused this. They have said they haven't seen this issue before but there are plenty of owners on here with the same problem.

Not happy with the outcome and have contacted Hyundai UK who are looking into it. Not sure how a car with a five year warranty and 7000 miles on the clock has this issue they even hinted that I did not drive the car enough which may be the reason why the rear brakes seized!

Hyundai now charge £75 labour just to look at your vehicle even if its under warranty and refund this if the fault is covered under the warranty but if no fault can be found or its not covered then you pay the £75 even if the car is a week old please be mindful of this in the future.

This morning when I was leaving for work, I started the car normally, engaged reverse, released the handbrake then attempted to reverse out of the garage.

Car wouldn't move. I checked that the handbrake was off but still immobile.

I assumed that the handbrake was just stuck and gently released the clutch and applied accelerator. Then with a bit of a bang, it released and I was on my way.

Is this something that I should get checked? Would there have been any damage? Handbrake seems to be working fine now.

Thank you for any responses/advice.

Sounds like the brake pads were stuck to the discs. Common problem (also happens to me). Usually after its rains or you wash the car and the handbrake is left on. Doesn't usually cause any damage (unless it sticks so hard that it can't be released), but the huge clunk is a bit disconcerting.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense now as I had washed the car the day before.

Sorry about starting a new thread. Mods, please merge with the existing thread.

Anyone have trouble with their handbrake sticking on (particularly in rainy conditions) after leaving the car sitting for 2-3+ days? Not the handle on the interior, like the pad is stuck to the rotor and the car won't move in gear. Mine wouldn't budge yesterday and it isn't the first time it did it. Had to put a breaker bar between two large sockets on the lugs and pry the wheel free. I understand a little bit of sticking but it was stuck so hard it stalled the car in 1st and reverse trying to get it to move.

Hi all,
Does anyone have the same problem as me with the front brake pads sticking to the discs after leaving the car for a while. It usually happens when it’s been raining and driving in the wet or even when I’ve washed the car.

"They all do that, sir" ;)

High iron-content discs can surface-rust pretty badly even if left a short while in the rain / damp, causing the pads to stick.

Just take it easy when setting off the first time and they'll clear after a few braking sessions :)

The N can be very sticky! Mine was so stuck, it looked like the handbrake was still fully on. Floored it forwards, backwards, no freaking movement. It really took a couple attempts with some decent power before it broke free!

The N can be very sticky! Mine was so stuck, it looked like the handbrake was still fully on. Floored it forwards, backwards, no freaking movement. It really took a couple attempts with some decent power before it broke free!

It was never that bad for me. I could start normally, but i would hear a "THUMP" :) and feel a little withhold, but nothing like your experience.

Because of the sticky pads after 4 years the agent adviced to skimmed the rotors due to uneven wear of the brake pads...seems related bec of the aftermath of the sticky pads

No they don't have to skim the rotors, just change the pads to EBC Ceramic Red Pads. They work as good or better then the OEM units and eliminate the metallic pads that cause the problem.

The rotors aren't solely the issue anyway. The metallic OEM pads rust on the cast rotors. When they break free, some of the material from the pad sticks to the rotor. Normal use will remove it but the pads will often wear uneven and cause some pulsing in the pedal.

If the rotor needs to be scuffed; all that's needed is some fine metal sandpaper and scrub the rotors vertically around its circumference. or utilize a brake hone which is quicker and more efficient. It will also remove any previous material and help with any squealing from the brakes. Won't get rid of it all but most. If they still squeal on application, use some anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads and it will stop.

81HAeTELrSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So I stumbled upon a pretty major "pads sticking to the rotor" issue posted on the Facebook by another fellow i30n driver who parked his car after a wash. Some part of the pads literally fused on the rotor and broke off. I have experienced some minor "clunks" the next day after a wash but haven't seen anything like this before... What's your take on this?

Screenshot_2021-10-20-19-50-09-881_com.facebook.katana.jpg

IMG_20211020_201436.jpg

IMG_20211020_201342.jpg

IMG_20211020_201359.jpg

Link to the fb post:

Also found some information about this in the Nissan GT-R user manual:

Quote:

"Follow the instructions below when parking the vehicle to help prevent the brake rotor and brake pads from rusting together. Failure to follow the instructions could cause the rotor and pads to rust together. If the rotor and pads rust together, there may be a popping noise and some vibration when the vehicle is driven, a wheel may not roll correctly, or the brake pads could be damaged. If the pads are damaged, this may reduce the effectiveness of the brake system which could cause a collision, serious personal injury or death. The GT-R uses brake pad materials that have high metallic content. The brake pad material helps maintain braking performance in a wide range of weather and driving conditions. For the first 3,000-6,000 miles (5,000 - 10,000 km) of the vehicle’s service life, and for the first 3,000-6,000 miles (5,000-10,000 km) after a brake replacement, the brake pad to brake rotor clearance is very small. When parking, apply the parking brake and move the shift lever to the position. Idle the engine for more than 20 seconds without depressing the brake pedal. This allows the brake pads to move away from the rotor so the pad does not contact the rotor. Additionally, the brakes must be dry before parking the vehicle after driving on wet roads or after washing the vehicle. If the roads are wet, lightly apply the brakes for a short distance before parking the vehicle to dry the brakes. After washing the vehicle, dry the brakes by driving on a dry road for a few miles and apply the brakes normally based on traffic and road conditions. The metallic brake pads and brake disc rotor may rust together when the brakes are not applied: — If the vehicle is not idled for 20 seconds without the brakes applied, or if the brakes are applied when the vehicle is shut off, the rotor and pads can rust together, even when the brake pads are dry.
— If the brakes are wet when the vehicle is parked and the parking brake is applied for a long time.
— The hill start assist system can apply the brakes even if the brake pedal is not depressed. The brake pads and rotors can rust together if the parking procedure previously described is not followed. It is recommended you contact aGT-R certified NISSAN dealer if the brake pads and brake rotor have rusted together."

Reactions: SchweNker