• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Dusting, Pad/Disc wear & sticky handbrake

PeterP

Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
Car moves when left in gear?? o_O holy moly. I almost never use the handbrake, unless on a hill. And even then i dont overdo it, 2 clicks is plenty for a small slope. Keeping it in 1st gear or Reverse gear is enough for me most of the time.

MATT P 1

Apr 5, 2018
Surrey
I have just got my i30 N back from the dealers and they have said there is nothing wrong with the rear brakes which seized over Christmas. Hyundai assistance released the brakes but damaged the pads in the process. They have charged me £242 ! to change them as they will not be replaced under warranty even when the brake fault caused this. They have said they haven't seen this issue before but there are plenty of owners on here with the same problem.

Not happy with the outcome and have contacted Hyundai UK who are looking into it. Not sure how a car with a five year warranty and 7000 miles on the clock has this issue they even hinted that I did not drive the car enough which may be the reason why the rear brakes seized!

Hyundai now charge £75 labour just to look at your vehicle even if its under warranty and refund this if the fault is covered under the warranty but if no fault can be found or its not covered then you pay the £75 even if the car is a week old please be mindful of this in the future.

silverex

Jan 22, 2020
Sydney Australia
This morning when I was leaving for work, I started the car normally, engaged reverse, released the handbrake then attempted to reverse out of the garage.

Car wouldn't move. I checked that the handbrake was off but still immobile.

I assumed that the handbrake was just stuck and gently released the clutch and applied accelerator. Then with a bit of a bang, it released and I was on my way.

Is this something that I should get checked? Would there have been any damage? Handbrake seems to be working fine now.

Thank you for any responses/advice.

sgfastback

Sep 18, 2019
Sydney
Sounds like the brake pads were stuck to the discs. Common problem (also happens to me). Usually after its rains or you wash the car and the handbrake is left on. Doesn't usually cause any damage (unless it sticks so hard that it can't be released), but the huge clunk is a bit disconcerting.

silverex

Jan 22, 2020
Sydney Australia
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense now as I had washed the car the day before.

Sorry about starting a new thread. Mods, please merge with the existing thread.

Carolina_Autos

Feb 23, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Anyone have trouble with their handbrake sticking on (particularly in rainy conditions) after leaving the car sitting for 2-3+ days? Not the handle on the interior, like the pad is stuck to the rotor and the car won't move in gear. Mine wouldn't budge yesterday and it isn't the first time it did it. Had to put a breaker bar between two large sockets on the lugs and pry the wheel free. I understand a little bit of sticking but it was stuck so hard it stalled the car in 1st and reverse trying to get it to move.