• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Dusting, Pad/Disc wear & sticky handbrake

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
No offense intended to you.

Just questioning the use of the word warpage. This is a myth, a misnomer, used by techs who don't understand the term warped. The word has been misused throughout the industry to describe poor manufacturing and improper rotor thickness tooling. Comes down to QC'ing the product during manufacture.

How could you possibly warp a rotor? Rotors don't bend or twist due to heat. Brake rotors are cast under extreme heat, 10 times the heat you can produce driving, no matter what application. They can be glowing red and you still can't warp them.

You can crack and bend them, in an accident but not warp them. I most certainly can believe they were different thickness in depth, around the circumference but not warped.

Be it may, at least you're getting them replaced. Simply, turning the rotors can accomplish the same thing and you'd be in and out in much less time.

More of the dealers repair by replacement scheme. There is so little mechanical knowledge utilized now-a-days at dealership service departments, it's simply amazing. This is why it costs so much to get anything done. "sigh"!

Reactions: Stash-N

MATT P 1

Apr 5, 2018
Surrey
Left my i30 N for two days and when I returned the handbrake was stuck solid and the pads were rusted to the disks. It would not release whatever I tried. Had to call Hyundai assistance which took over two hours. They had to hit the pads with a screwdriver to release them. Car is booked in soon and have also asked for the pads to be changed as they have been damaged while releasing them. Has anyone else had this problem.

PeterP

Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
Left my i30 N for two days and when I returned the handbrake was stuck solid and the pads were rusted to the disks. It would not release whatever I tried. Had to call Hyundai assistance which took over two hours. They had to hit the pads with a screwdriver to release them. Car is booked in soon and have also asked for the pads to be changed as they have been damaged while releasing them. Has anyone else had this problem.
When my car was fresh it happened once or twice when i washed it myself that they would stick a bit. But they didnt get stuck like yours did...

without

Jan 17, 2019
Germany
Sticking of pads to the disc happens all the time on my car and also did on my previous, never had any subsequent issues with the brakes though. Just an unpleasant sound upon releasing and that’s it.

Richard Balmford

Mar 1, 2018
Yes! I've had exactly the same experience. They were stuck so firmly that it dragged the locked wheel along the tarmac. As it was late on a Sunday night I let Hyundai assistance (aka the AA) come and sort it out, they had to remove the caliper in order to free the pads, which then left quite a layer of pad material stuck to the disc, which required filing/sanding to remove

dave_da_bass

Dec 13, 2019
Potsdam, Germany
Happens all the time to me too. Now end up parking without the handbrake on and in gear when at home. Very annoying!
That is exactly what I learned in my driving school back in the days. U always park in 1st gear and without handbrake. The handbrake is only to be used for a short period of time e.g. if you have to lock the gate or sth. Like that.
I would say that’s why here in Germany it’s called handbrake and not parking brake.

That’s what my driving teacher told me and I never had an issue like that in my life.

What is annoying you exactly?

ColinP

May 17, 2018
Peak District
It's the noise of unbinding the brakes that is annoying. Even leaving work I sometimes have to rock the car between first and reverse in order to unbind them.

In the UK, handbrake is always something you have on when parked up - I don't know anyone who doesn't use it.
On all my other cars, I never suffered from brake binding after leaving the handbrake on overnight - sometimes if it's left for a few days maybe.

Actually just back from second service and mentioned the binding brakes.

Their reply was "because they are performance brakes, it is just how they work". They did suggest that I try to get more heat in them.

Rotorhead500

Aug 16, 2018
Devon
It's the noise of unbinding the brakes that is annoying. Even leaving work I sometimes have to rock the car between first and reverse in order to unbind them.

In the UK, handbrake is always something you have on when parked up - I don't know anyone who doesn't use it.
On all my other cars, I never suffered from brake binding after leaving the handbrake on overnight - sometimes if it's left for a few days maybe.

Actually just back from second service and mentioned the binding brakes.

Their reply was "because they are performance brakes, it is just how they work". They did suggest that I try to get more heat in them.
Get the same on mine all the time when wet, although not to the degree you've had. 1st or reverse nudge frees them.

The "performance brakes" bit is utter bo11ocks. Last car (C63) never did it. Honda S2000... never did it. Golf R32, GTI, Leon Cupra, 350Z, Impreza Spec D... all performance-ish cars... never did it, even having washed the cars and not moved them for a day or two.

It's just the material Hyundai use - the brakes seem to last well, but obviously the downside is... you can't move the car! :D

The Lone Wolve

Nov 4, 2018
cannock, south stafforshire
Mine happened everytime when there is dampness, be it from washing or rain. The German reasoning explains it all . Since it was developed in the 'Ring, no one there had put the handbrake on. Thus this issue never became an issue....

A bit amateur considering the sales of this car goes beyond desert/ dry countries.

I wonder if the same applies to other Hyundai models, or other UHP cars like typeR, Megane RS etc.

When they are stuck, i just accelerate hard and free them. It comes with a big clunk as well.

On the positive side, could the stuck brakes serve as an additional security device?

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
They shouldn't stick to the point they can't release but I honestly can't remember that last car I've had that didn't stick after washing, heavy rain etc.
All my Ford's were terrible for it and even my Golf R did it but the N has needed a bit more persuasion to release the I'd ideally like I must admit.

Seizing up completely though is a whole different issue!

jonttu_fantti

Aug 1, 2018
Finland
That is exactly what I learned in my driving school back in the days. U always park in 1st gear and without handbrake. The handbrake is only to be used for a short period of time e.g. if you have to lock the gate or sth. Like that.
I would say that’s why here in Germany it’s called handbrake and not parking brake.

That’s what my driving teacher told me and I never had an issue like that in my life.

What is annoying you exactly?
Your N is staying in place with just gear on?? Mine is like in neutral when engine is not running and 1st gear on... :confused:

jonttu_fantti

Aug 1, 2018
Finland
Hmmm....in gear and it rolls freely? How do you drive it if the gearbox isn’t connected to the engine, or the engine has zero compression?
Yes. And if you leave the clutch, the car won’t move any more ;)
Yep, it rolls freely, i think its related to that LSD somehow.. Maybe a fault in my car?? :confused:
And yes, i know that normal car stays in plase gear in and cluch up but noticed that flaw last winter, when trying to prevent handbrake not to stuck while parking, and it allmost take away by itself..

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Yep, it rolls freely, i think its related to that LSD somehow.. Maybe a fault in my car?? :confused:
And yes, i know that normal car stays in plase gear in and cluch up but noticed that flaw last winter, when trying to prevent handbrake not to stuck while parking, and it allmost take away by itself..
That's not right! AT.ALL
I'd get that looked at quickly. The car should hold in gear - handbrake off, no problem.
I've left mine parked on a slope like that with zero issues with movement plenty of times.

Davo01

Jan 28, 2019
South Australia
That is totally FUBAR. I don’t see how it is even possible that the car can be driven if this is the case, as per my above post.