• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Dusting, Pad/Disc wear & sticky handbrake

GazmaN

Staff member
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
Sorry to hear about the funeral AND the fact you can't get away for a quick little burn around the mountains :(:cool: They certainly hold some nice corners and tight roads! I do however turn the engine response down one in custom mode to stop the backfiring, just gets annoying sadly even you are constantly popping for an hour or so. I'm pushing the envelope further and further as my confidence grows, I think it's time to sit with an instructor at the track before I get ahead of myself o_O

Agreed - Braking performance is outstanding, I can live with the occasional brake squeal.
Thanks mate.

And yeah, think I'm at that stage myself now - could likely benefit from some professional instruction before I come unstuck...

Reactions: simmo777

Stash-N

May 24, 2018
Adelaide Australia
It does sound like the hot discs did not like having the handbrake applied while at rest as you describe. Search for the track day prep thread to see this mentioned when tracking cars. Leave handbrake off when stopping in the pits. Nice post letting everyone know what happened however. :cool::)

Reactions: simmo777 and GazmaN

Stash-N

May 24, 2018
Adelaide Australia
I've also noticed this if we get a heap of rain and the car is outside. Our driveway is a slightly reverse incline and the rear brakes will clunk as they let go first thing.
Yes, this has been discussed in this forum but is not related to the noises @simmo777 experienced IMO. The rear brake pads seem to really like sticking to the rotor once you add a little water and a little time. Owners in the UK noticed this rather a lot. Who would have thought that given how dry a place like the UK is. :eek:
Some users (me included) had this happen after a good car clean session then leaving the handbrake on. Next morning and a significant crack can be heard when moving off as the pads release from the disc. After a wash I now do not engage the handbrake while the car sits in the garage overnight. :cool::)

GazmaN

Staff member
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
Yes, this has been discussed in this forum but is not related to the noises @simmo777 experienced IMO. The rear brake pads seem to really like sticking to the rotor once you add a little water and a little time. Owners in the UK noticed this rather a lot. Who would have thought that given how dry a place like the UK is. :eek:
Some users (me included) had this happen after a good car clean session then leaving the handbrake on. Next morning and a significant crack can be heard when moving off as the pads release from the disc. After a wash I now do not engage the handbrake while the car sits in the garage overnight. :cool::)
Oh, for a garage. I get this pretty much every time I drive off after parking for more than an hour or so - it's a little 'moist' in my neck of the woods this time of year. A good shake, rattle and roll in the next cyclone should sort it out...

Crocoman

Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
I've also noticed this if we get a heap of rain and the car is outside. Our driveway is a slightly reverse incline and the rear brakes will clunk as they let go first thing.
Yeah that’s been mentioned. Same as when you’ve washed the car and left it sitting - you’ll invariably get a ‘clunk’ when setting off for the 1st time....

Reactions: simmo777 and GazmaN

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
Just to say.....my N's front camera when see just a bit of fog go completely crazy and shut off automatically.....is that normal??
For the rest i've the high beam that are pointing the moon and a paint problem in the rear bumper (already shown to Hyundai)
For the rest seems ok after 5000km
That's normal and I've seen a few people mention it already somewhere here on the forum. Problem is, the car has no radar for the cruise control/emergency braking - it solely relies on the camera (which is also why there's no adaptive CC). If the main problem is the low visibility, there's not much you can do. If it gets dirty, you can buy some car wax and apply a bit around the rain sensor/camera spot, which will help rain/dirt stay off it (works for constantly dirty rear cameras too!) Also, depending on the MY of your i30N you can adjust the high-beams with a screwdriver on the top of the headlights.

Reactions: jim784N

Crocoman

Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
My brakes are making a ‘rough’ sound but only 9000 miles and no track days, so I’m putting it down to a combination on the weather and the car being filthy.:p I’ve pumped the brakes to try and clean the discs but there’s something not quite right. I’m off work for a few days now so might just take the car to my local guy for a quick look...

1st service is booked for 1st March. I’m not in the business of throwing money away, but would love grooved brake discs anyway and the pads will need replaced at some point.

Dan Loc

Mar 19, 2018
Farnborough
My brakes are making a ‘rough’ sound but only 9000 miles and no track days, so I’m putting it down to a combination on the weather and the car being filthy.:p I’ve pumped the brakes to try and clean the discs but there’s something not quite right. I’m off work for a few days now so might just take the car to my local guy for a quick look...

1st service is booked for 1st March. I’m not in the business of throwing money away, but would love grooved brake discs anyway and the pads will need replaced at some point.
Mine have started crunching loadsssss over the last month. It also feels like the car is jerking forward and backwards when I'm braking at slow speeds.

Checked all discs and pads and also the fluid and everything is okay... Gonna get her looked at over the coming weeks!

TarmoT

Feb 25, 2018
Poland
I had similar experience with another car and problem was on those 2 long bolts, caliper is sliding. No visual damages but problem disappeared after replacing them.

Reactions: simmo777

Maverick

May 10, 2018
Europe

Mine do exactly the same, but it goes away if you brake hard a few of times. On mine at least, it has nothing to do with dirt, as it does it after a wash as well. The difference is that on my way to work, I'll hardly even brake. It actually takes a few aggressive "attempts" till they stop being noisy.

JackM90

Oct 23, 2018
South London
Taken my car to Hyundai today for sticking rear calipers. Been happening slot lately as people have said with a car cleaning session or the wet weather causes it to grab the disc. Im guessing it's a combo of the pad material and disc make up being a good combo for the issue.

Hyundai are going to strip the calipers down, grease the sliding bolts and the antisqueal plate and see if it changes. I suspect not but we shall see.

Seems to happen wether I've left the car for 30mims upwards to overnight if the weather isn't good.

Got a video too of it doing it a smidge.

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Since I no longer push my Brake pedal so hard when parking and do not pull the handbrake, there are no more problems for me. I also tested it in snow and rain, everything was fine. That would be a way to try for people who have the same problems. But yes, I van confirm, weather is so beautiful at the moment :D

jim784N

Dec 4, 2018
italy
My N have Now 5000 km and meanwhile the brakes doesn't make any strange noise they continously get stuck when i park the car for more than 2 days...... even if i use the car in dry condition they get stuck and for me is quite a big problem because i travel a lot for work and the car doesn't move for weeks sometimes
Any suggestion?
I'm not pulling the handbrake hard or leave the car parked with the handbrake after washing it

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
My N have Now 5000 km and meanwhile the brakes doesn't make any strange noise they continously get stuck when i park the car for more than 2 days...... even if i use the car in dry condition they get stuck and for me is quite a big problem because i travel a lot for work and the car doesn't move for weeks sometimes
Any suggestion?
I'm not pulling the handbrake hard or leave the car parked with the handbrake after washing it
As I said, If your car park is on a level surface, it is sufficient to press the pedal soft. And Release it before you Turn of your car. I don't use my handbrake on any Level surface. Haven't had any Problem since 3 months. Before the car Stucks and needed a good amount of torque to move.

Reactions: jim784N

jim784N

Dec 4, 2018
italy
As I said, If your car park is on a level surface, it is sufficient to press the pedal soft. And Release it before you Turn of your car. I don't use my handbrake on any Level surface. Haven't had any Problem since 3 months. Before the car Stucks and needed a good amount of torque to move.
Is nearly at level but not perfect....having to park near to a wall i wanna be sure that the car doesn't move
I Will put some Wood stopper under the wheels to don't use the handbrake:p:p

Dan Loc

Mar 19, 2018
Farnborough
So I had all of the pads and discs checked last week, they sort of fobbed off the sticky handbrake issue but they found my front two discs to be somewhat warped - they're replacing both sets under warranty!

Reactions: 1FastStagea