• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Door handle issue

JP_Irl

Nthusiast
Jan 6, 2019
Ireland
Hi all, have done a search here and haven't found anything jumping out at me, has anyone had any door handle issues.

Was parking car this morning in airport and went to open passenger door. Whole handle just came out, hadn't time to inspect further as was in a rush. From what I could see the plastic casing towards the back has broken (it fell off too) and this holds the handle in place. Door was open when I pulled handle and I didn't use any excessive force or pulled it funny from what I could tell. Just wondering had anyone found it to be a weak spot. I will be chancing it for warranty repair when I return.

Thanks in advance.

No issues here, could just be a faulty plastic component, it happens.

Book it in and get it fixed. :)

It's a common fault on the normal i30. There is a thread about it on the German Hyundai forum. I thought it was fixed by now, this is one of the first N's with this problem I read about.

Reactions: JP_Irl
Just saw on the i30n Facebook page someone had same problem on passenger door also..something to look out for

Well if one of My door handles 'falls off' I will be having it mended under warranty! after all its not like You can pop to Halfords for one, these are components that should be for the life of the vehicle.

God is this another bloody problem to look out for.
Don't think it's in anyway major. The warranty seems robust and you get these sort of things with most cars. Just good that the community gets together in it. Like go for what the car is seems really reliable so far

Just booked mine in for a 'diagnostic' for the passenger side door handle that's come off and broke the plastic clip to the side of the handle.

If its not a warranty claim then I have to pay a diagnostic charge.

Need to fond the evidence other have it incase its a fight, any links to the German site?

Mine is due for first service next Tuesday and I have logged this to be addressed. However I imported my car and my local dealer isn't being the most receptive or overly enthusiastic. I assume this is because they didn't get the business but will be interesting to see how this goes. Will update Tuesday.

Reactions: WookieeM
So got the car serviced, 6/10 experience. Didn't have an air filter as "we don't see those cars ever" even though I had it booked 2 weeks in advance so have to go in this evening. Was a charge on the courtesy car which I complained enough about and it was dropped. Someone took it for a 4 mile spin averaging 9 MPG I can't hate that so much as the temptation to do it myself would be fierce. Didn't fill in the nice Hyundai service book but I keep receipts in a car folder for proof later down the road.

Door handle was fixed for free. Definitely was glued or somehow patched up as no way they could have had that colour part in stock but I have to say it looks and feels 100% perfect so I don't really mind how achieved.

Cost of service was €225 (I replaced rear window blade also)

Reactions: GazmaN and WookieeM
I cancelled my vist for the 'diagnostic' as if they decided it was not covered by warranty I would have to pay a £90 diagnostic charge! Cannot face that argument at the moment.

I'm going to remove the plastic part myself and ask for a price for a new one, and in that discussion in the dealers talk about warranty etc / other peoples experiences.

So I'll either replace myself, get it under warranty without the chance of having to pay £90, or glue it back on myself (which is probably what @JP_Irl has had done)

I'm ~6 months away from needing a service so I cannot wait that long.

Removed it this morning between the rain showers.
Off to dealers later, price for a new one and a warranty chat, hopefully without the need for a ‘diagnostic’ .

Removed the black plastic grommet from the door with my finger nails, then unscrewed the broken part from the access hole.

You can see the plastic part that’s broken and my wonderful arrow on where the bolt goes.
44396333-814A-4C31-B3AF-A439F8FB6065.jpeg

£22.09 +VAT +painting = Approx £50

Service lady 'I cannot help you'
I need to speak to service manager Monday.

May argue warranty without the possible £90 diagnostic charge (if they decide its not warranty) or just glue it.

Did speak to parts / tech guy and without saying much gave me the impression warranty would cover it.

I got MY19 fastback N on 1st of March, the next day I went to open the passenger door, I didn't realise it was locked and the handle came off in my hand, quite embarrassing.

The little end cap is a weak spot and the plastic bracket with the screw in at the side edge of the door breaks very easily. I didn't waste my time with the dealership though I just glued it with a two pack epoxy, seems ok for now, but I find myself a bit nervous of opening the doors now !:mad:

I too glued mine in the end, not worth the effort.

Family now taught that as the car is keyless entry it’s not unlocked until I press the magic button.

Hi All
My son broke the door handle off my car by yanking it hard when door was locked. Hyundai cars do have this issue apparently? Managed to remove door handle and glue back together with Gorilla glue as Hyundai would want lots of ££ to repair and colour match might be tricky. Also I put some grease on the sliding part of the handle as two other handles were a bit stiff.
Handle breaks near securing bolt which can be carefully removed behind black plastic cover on rear edge of door nearest centre pillar but be careful not to drop the nut inside the door.

Son was so upset I didn't put him up for adoption.

Attachments

• door repair (3).JPG
    door repair (3).JPG
    899.4 KB · Views: 108
I would ask the dealer to check the torque on the cross head bolt. Perhaps the torque drivers used in assembly are set wrong or not torque set at all? As an engineer I noticed the door handle is a poor design with a lot of force on bolt so adding lubrication like a little general purpose grease to the sliding part of the handle should help. I am taking it up with Hyundai customer services and mentioning that social media is a powerful tool? Also note the same issue is with the i40 car from 2012 onwards as I fixed one of those for the same fault on the passenger door.

Forgot to add that after glue is set you need to trim excess glue off so the piece fits back correctly.
I used a Stanley knife.

Reactions: Stash-N