• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Door handle issue

MrDeeJay

Apr 14, 2018
Scotland
:(

I have a nasty scratch on my door handle and I'm taking it off for painting.

Would love to know the torx size for the screw to get the cover off. I thought I had every small size torx there was but my smallest one is still a tiny bit big and I can't read the size on the bit.
Does anyone know?

Scratch.JPGTorxSize.JPG

MarkMark

Feb 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
There's a black plastic cap on the door edge, remove the small bolt you can see through the hole this enables you to remove the door handle end cap, this will enable you to slide out the door handle and unclip the electrical connector.

I think that little torx screw retains the push button.

When removing the end cap bolt just unscrew enough so you can remove the cap, don't drop it in the door, if I remember correctly the bolt has a retainer on it so it cannot be dropped inside the door.

Last edited:

MrDeeJay

Apr 14, 2018
Scotland
Thanks MarkMark

I was hoping just the cover of the door handle could come off without removing the handle completely, but I'll take it off an investigate.

cheers

Kev_G

Mar 27, 2019
Chester
4th or 5th time its been used and snapped clean off the car as we went to leave Germany the other day. Managed to shut the door and bodge it to get home. Emailed the dealer as my car is back in with them in a few weeks to sort other issues and now this.

I wouldn't mind i've only had it 3 weeks :rolleyes:

MrDeeJay

Apr 14, 2018
Scotland
Same issue here. Passenger door handle came off in my daughters hand, she's 9 and she was very upset by the experience. Door was unlocked, so obviously a weak point on the i30.

Took it to my dealers on 5th September, they said it would be covered under warranty, all good.
They did, however leave me with a 1" square hole in my passenger door. Macklin Edinburgh West. Not helpful.

So it's been a month :eek: and finally after 3 phone calls, which were never returned, I was told part was in and painted, pop along for the switch over.
I drove back through to Edinburgh for the change over and just as it was about to be changed (technician had my keys in his hand) the new service manager put a stop to it. Broken part won't be changed under warranty.

To say I was raging is an understatement. The arrogance and attitude of Paul Hattie, the new service manager was despicable. Not interested in any of the points I made, not even an apology for my wasted time and fuel expense etc.

So disappointing, just shows how BAD staff can make such a difference to a company.

Won't go near Macklin Edinburgh West again, if I can help it. And we now have 2 Hyundai's to service.
Any recommendations for a decent garage in Scotland?

MrDeeJay

Apr 14, 2018
Scotland
Hi Emma. I have just done so. ;)
Nice to hear from you again. My girl still loves her keyring.

BTW. Same broken part as all the others. Photo below. I wish people would all complain instead of just accepting the poor quality and fixing it themselves.
Maybe then Hyundai would sit up and take notice.

Door break.JPG

Reactions: _Emma

_Emma

Oct 29, 2018
UK
@MrDeeJay and you! I'm so pleased she still loves it <3!

For the sake of that part, and the actual cost of it, he should have just replaced it surely. He's cost his dealership servicing on two cars over what? £50 tops? Hope Hyundai is sorting it out for you now and giving the service manager a rollicking.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
That's just, piss poor!!:eek::mad:

@MrDeeJay Absolutely, file a Hyundai Customer Service Complaint against the dealership and mention the Service Manager, by name! Let them know specifically what occurred and how in detail.

The dealership has to answer the complaint and explain themselves. Nor does it mean Hyundai, will side with them either. Don't let them get away with that, it's just wrong in so many ways!!!:mad:

MrDeeJay

Apr 14, 2018
Scotland
Mr Dee Jay you are the chap I replied to on facebook! Complain about the service to Hyundai customer service and escalate it
@Kev_G @R Veloster N . Thanks guys.

3 complaints on going. Macklin Edinburgh, the parent company Vertu, and Hyundai UK.

Yeah, i'm not the type to take it lying down. Paul Hattie, the new service manager, a huge step down from the previous guy. Ignorant, unfriendly, unhelpful and obviously not concerned about customer relations. So pleased we got our new Kona elsewhere.

Like @_Emma said, how much would that part cost? They've just lost servicing for 3+ years on 2 cars, and they have a door part that they've paid to have painted. Not the sharpest decision from their service manager.

Sadly, they were an excellent garage to deal with when I bought the car, but now there's not a face I recognize when I go in, and they're far worse since the staff changes.

Last edited:

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Good on you mate!! I know there isn't much we can help you with but were here. Truly a sad state of affairs being treat this way. Customers deserve being treated well no matter what the circumstances. Would it help discussing this with the owner? This is totally up to you. I've done this, on occasion to some of responses I've gotten.

Oh you'll enjoy the Kona!! it's a great little SUV.

Manted

May 3, 2018
Buxton
Every garage is good till they get there money then they couldn’t care less.The way Hyundai dealt with me after my N was written off in there own car park was piss poor.