• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Dogbone Bushings/Torque Mounts: How-to & General Discussions

I'm intrigued by this. I was planning to order a set of powerflex yellows, but based on your experience would you say opting for one purple on the engine side and stock on the firewall side would give all of the benefits (reduced wheel hop, mainly) and minimize the drawbacks (e.g. NVH)?
Hello
I had the yellow one on my white i30 n and it worked perfect, but the car did burn down for me. Now i have a red i30 n and i have the purple one now and i cant feel any difference between them in form of vibrations. I dont have any wheel hop at all now:)

Hello
I had the yellow one on my white i30 n and it worked perfect, but the car did burn down for me. Now i have a red i30 n and i have the purple one now and i cant feel any difference between them in form of vibrations. I dont have any wheel hop at all now:)
That is good news. It’s purple or nothing everyone

White line bushing went in yesterday. Way less thudding axle tramp and that with my mods and a tune that added 45kw at the wheels. I get wheel spin now instead of axle tramp which is fine and can be pedal adjusted 😏 I noticed no extra vibration until I thought of this thread and went looking for it, yes probably some extra vibration in normal mode at idle but nothing practically noticeable. I would recommend this as a cheap easy and beneficial upgrade to anyone.

Fitted the purple Powerflex bushes today. A total doddle to do on the drive, took about 30-40 minutes.
I was going to go with the yellow ones but after reading comments on here opted for the purple instead.
So glad I did, no noticeable increase in vibrations or comfort at all. However, the drive train feels much more positive. Coming on and off the throttle and gear changes are massively improved.
Definitely a worthwhile mod and a bargain for £28.

Definitely recommend the Whiteline bushes to any N owner. A bargain at under $30AUD. Massively improves the overall driving experience and does so without any noticeable vibration.

Definitely recommend the Whiteline bushes to any N owner. A bargain at under $30AUD. Massively improves the overall driving experience and does so without any noticeable vibration.
which bushes are you particularly referring to?

IMG_20200502_102738289_HDR_copy_2048x1152.jpgIMG_20200502_111023683_copy_2048x1152.jpg

Finally got around to fitting the yellows, decided to removed the under tray to improve access, I'm not so strong so doing this allowed me to get an impact driver on the 17mm nut. Will be testing the effect this evening on the weekly shop which is about a 16 Mile round trip. Only advice from me is that if you plan to remove the under tray then get some spare clips first, I managed to break 2 of about 10 even when being careful.

View attachment 12807View attachment 12808

Finally got around to fitting the yellows, decided to removed the under tray to improve access, I'm not so strong so doing this allowed me to get an impact driver on the 17mm nut. Will be testing the effect this evening on the weekly shop which is about a 16 Mile round trip. Only advice from me is that if you plan to remove the under tray then get some spare clips first, I managed to break 2 of about 10 even when being careful.
You'll notice the difference immediately, I certainly did.

Reactions: Bu11eT

Those blocks look sweet. Do you have a link?

edit: looks like $200 Aussie:

Last edited:
Reactions: loafer-N77
Those blocks look sweet. Do you have a link?

edit: looks like $200 Aussie:

I tried the 10 inch wheel cribs but we're too tall for the jack I have so returned them for the 8 inch version. There was plenty of space under the car for the job with the 8s. I do have axle stands but I felt more confident with the cribs and I think they are worth the cost. As they only weigh 4kg in total they are very easy to use and store.

Reactions: PaulD and Davo01
I fitted the Powerflex Yellow torque link bush last night, took me about 45mins all in. Nice and easy job, used the write up on here as a guide. Engine feels much tighter on pull away and at speed. No engine movement on and off the throttle and no excess vibration. A great £29 well spent!

Reactions: GazmaN and Brendan
I fitted the whiteline bushes earlier this week (took to the local tyre place as this stuff so much easier on the hoist). I must say overall i'm pretty dissapointed. Noticeable increase in NVH on cold start and idle, or taking off. Its lots the 'refinement' of the new car feel. Engine and gearbox def feels more stable and direct, no doubt about it.
Axle tramp/wheel hop is less pronounced, and the car does get power down better, but its far from gone - this has me questioning if its worth the increase in vibration and reduction in overall drive-line refinement.
I was thinking, before fitting these, why Biermann and co had fitted such soft bushes here when it had a significant limitation on power-down (basically first gear on dry roads always results in axle tramp) - and after fitting these bushes, its obvious why they are forced to fit such soft mounts - a customer would never accept this NVH from a new car.
My last Megane RS265 had ~300hp and 18" wheels, and the standard LSD, and seemed to get power down better than this car. Are my expectations too high? Not sure how cars go with stage 1 or 2 tunes - i would think it results in scary levels of axle tramp whenever you want to drive quickly.

Reactions: N-GAGE

Hey Brendan - I see you have the Goodyear Supersports. Happy? These are 18" it seems? Do they have better wet weather performance than the Pirelli? I am very unhappy with the wet weather performance of the OEM 19" tyre, and wander if the axle tramp issue is partly due to the tyre choice. I cant wait to change the whole set to either PS4S or F1 supersports to feel the difference.

I fitted the whiteline bushes earlier this week (took to the local tyre place as this stuff so much easier on the hoist). I must say overall i'm pretty dissapointed. Noticeable increase in NVH on cold start and idle, or taking off. Its lots the 'refinement' of the new car feel. Engine and gearbox def feels more stable and direct, no doubt about it.
Axle tramp/wheel hop is less pronounced, and the car does get power down better, but its far from gone - this has me questioning if its worth the increase in vibration and reduction in overall drive-line refinement.
I was thinking, before fitting these, why Biermann and co had fitted such soft bushes here when it had a significant limitation on power-down (basically first gear on dry roads always results in axle tramp) - and after fitting these bushes, its obvious why they are forced to fit such soft mounts - a customer would never accept this NVH from a new car.
My last Megane RS265 had ~300hp and 18" wheels, and the standard LSD, and seemed to get power down better than this car. Are my expectations too high? Not sure how cars go with stage 1 or 2 tunes - i would think it results in scary levels of axle tramp whenever you want to drive quickly.
I fitted the power flex yellows and absolutely no increase in nvh and I was specifically looking for that as well, had them on for thousands of miles now and I'm well impressed.

To the people with the yellow powerflex bushes installed, do you have any wheel hop at all now?

I'm still deciding on the yellow or purple ones. Currently I'm getting wheel hop with the original OEM tyres when accelerating hard in the dry but also a lot more wheel hop with just mild acceleration in the wet.

I'm unlikely to track my car and most of the time cruise around in normal whilst daily driving, though sport and custom are used more on the weekends. Would prefer no increase in NVH for daily driving.

To the people with the yellow powerflex bushes installed, do you have any wheel hop at all now?

I'm still deciding on the yellow or purple ones. Currently I'm getting wheel hop with the original OEM tyres when accelerating hard in the dry but also a lot more wheel hop with just mild acceleration in the wet.

I'm unlikely to track my car and most of the time cruise around in normal whilst daily driving, though sport and custom are used more on the weekends. Would prefer no increase in NVH for daily driving.
Since I installed the yellow ones I've not had any problems.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

I have also installed the Whiteline KDT970 and it has definitely eliminated axle tramp provided there is some heat in the OEM Pirellis (roughly a 5km drive in 8C ambient temp). They will only hop if the tires are cold and your right foot is too generous and even then it is much milder compared to the stock bushings.

In terms of vibrations, I only felt it because I was looking for it. Minimally more pronounced on cold starts and idling in normal mode through the steering wheel and pedals. Specifically asked the missus regarding the vibrations in the passenger seat and she couldn't tell the difference between before and after.

Highly recommend this upgrade for 23$ AUD. Great writeup from OP made it a 10min install with the car on a hoist.

Reactions: PaulD