• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Dogbone Bushings/Torque Mounts: How-to & General Discussions

Reading through reviews and impressions of the powerflex bushings and stiffening the torque mount in general, the biggest difference is less axle tramp and slightly better gear changes.

Had anyone experienced if it reduces engine rock that you get after throttle lift off?

Cheers,
Phil

Just fitted mine this evening. The main bush bolt is tight as there's not much leverage when your on your back with limited room. Once you've removed the old bushes it's a job to keep everything straight while tourqueing up the through bolt. I found the best way was to grip the black aluminium piece just under the bolt in a padded vice and stick a big screwdriver through the main bush whilst tightening. I've attached a few pics, you can see where the new bushes slot into the parts at either end. Test drive tomorrow to see what I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_170639.jpg
    IMG_20200301_170639.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20200301_171309.jpg
    IMG_20200301_171309.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20200301_171350.jpg
    IMG_20200301_171350.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20200301_171355.jpg
    IMG_20200301_171355.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20200301_171508.jpg
    IMG_20200301_171508.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200301_201223_Bokeh.jpg
    IMG_20200301_201223_Bokeh.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20200301_201259.jpg
    IMG_20200301_201259.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Just fitted mine this evening. The main bush bolt is tight as there's not much leverage when your on your back with limited room. Once you've removed the old bushes it's a job to keep everything straight while tourqueing up the through bolt. I found the best way was to grip the black aluminium piece just under the bolt in a padded vice and stick a big screwdriver through the main bush whilst tightening. I've attached a few pics, you can see where the new bushed slot into the parts et either end. Test drive tomorrow to see what I think.
For sure u will feel the difference ;) I have a purple bush and when i got it changed the car was warmed up already, so the first pull i did i felt the difference already. :D

Reactions: Jajodu
@Jajodu
Feedback please? Worth doing?

Mine are still sitting in the box waiting to be fitted (months now).....still not convinced I need them but your feedback may persuade me to pull my finger out.

I have had the purple Powerflex installed for 18 months, use the car as a work car/daily driver, and also run 245/40 R18 tyres on 8.5" rims. Before the replacement, axle tramp was "bad" IMO, after the upgrade the axle tramp was reduced by at least 80%. My road tyres are RE003s with probably only 30% tread, so they are a little prone to wheelspin. It is really nice to have this rather than axle tramp.

Track tyres are new AD08Rs 245/40R18 on BBS forged wheels, and the feel is amazing. Axle tramp is non-existent.

NVH changes (to me) seem to very small compared to the improvement in everything else. I was expecting more vibration after the change, but honestly I can't say I noticed any increase. Maybe on 19" wheels it would be different.

Two services down, no comments about the purple bushes. I can't see Hyundai voiding the warranty when the bushes reduce the engine movement and significantly reduce axle tramp, and therefore reduce the load on the suspension and steering components.

BEST modification I have done to this car.

Have just got back from a 90 mile round trip using A, B and dual carriageway roads. Absolutely no increase in NVH at all. The engine feels so much more planted on bumpy surfaces and those ridiculous speed humps approaching roundabouts from fast roads (with the N they're all fast), no kickback at all through the gearlever coming on and off the power.
Highly recommended upgrade.

Note, I used the yellow ones and followed Jeromes advice at the beginning of this thread regarding torque settings. All14mm bolts and nuts 49-64Nm, 17 mm nut 108-127Nm.

Last edited:
Anybody have any experience with the Whiteline bushings? They have 2 types KDT970 and KDT970M. The M one is for track, which I'm not doing so I would just get the KDT970.

They say "Inserts are made to work with the original bushing rather than replacing it", not sure what this exactly means, in the pictures the product looks exactly like the Powerflex bushings, and not that I care but they come in black.

tn_KDT970.jpg

Anybody have any experience with the Whiteline bushings? They have 2 types KDT970 and KDT970M. The M one is for track, which I'm not doing so I would just get the KDT970.

They say "Inserts are made to work with the original bushing rather than replacing it", not sure what this exactly means, in the pictures the product looks exactly like the Powerflex bushings, and not that I care but they come in black.

View attachment 11685
I installed this set last Friday (after my Superpro set ending up being over 5-6mm too long once assembled which meant the long bolt wouldn't go back in). Can feel an instant change in the cars behavior as it feels more direct and solid. I have only done around 100kms on them so far but there is some vibration in normal engine mode on idle. Not as noticeable when in sport/sport+.

Reactions: FastbackJLQ
All has to do with the durometer hardness. Whiteline don't list their duro hardness (not that I could find when I was quickly searching) but I am going to guess it would be close to the Powerflex Shore A 80 option. Mine were $22AUD delivered so I thought why not roll the dice as I already threw away $60+ on the SuperPro option.

I got my set from Spares Box on eBay (I see you're in AU) $22.91 delivered:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiteli...429611?hash=item23cba4c92b:g:M1IAAOSwsbhd4COO

Reactions: FastbackJLQ
Tried to fit my yellow bushes this weekend and had an epic fail.

I could not budge the 17mm bolt, like....at all :eek: (i'm no wimp, honest)
Gave up and had a beer instead lol.

Need to eat more spinach it seems. Will give it another go at a later date, I think I'll remove the under tray to get more socket access, but for now I'm defeated.

Need to eat more spinach it seems. Will give it another go at a later date, I think I'll remove the under tray to get more socket access, but for now I'm defeated.
It's tight as the torque setting is 90 ft/lb, just use a longer lever or push with your foot on the spanner.

From the YouTube vids I’ve watched the good installers always remove the under tray it will save a stack of time getting good grip and tension on that bolt.

Or just pay something with tools and hoist to fit it for what is an hours labor max? Ps: if they are smart they will take the tray off first too.

Also had quite a hard time. Used an extender bar to get it loose. As I only had my car on jackstands it was quite a journey 😆

I got the idea from “Cygnus X-1”. The engine side is the bushing taking all the load under acceleration. The firewall side on the other hand acts when braking, and I don’t see any significant benefits to replacing the rubber. I personally just did this mod to reduce the wheel hop and improve acceleration.

I guess now I also have a spare bushing to replace in a couple of years...
I'm intrigued by this. I was planning to order a set of powerflex yellows, but based on your experience would you say opting for one purple on the engine side and stock on the firewall side would give all of the benefits (reduced wheel hop, mainly) and minimize the drawbacks (e.g. NVH)?

I'm intrigued by this. I was planning to order a set of powerflex yellows, but based on your experience would you say opting for one purple on the engine side and stock on the firewall side would give all of the benefits (reduced wheel hop, mainly) and minimize the drawbacks (e.g. NVH)?
I have the purples and i didnt see any major increase in NVH but i drive mostly in custom, also in normal sometimes, in normal while idling i did notice some more vibrations, but sport or higher no noticable vibrations. But must say drive experience is so much better now though.