• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

dashcam doubts

thunder

Feb 26, 2018
Hello everyone

I just bought the camera and I want to connect it with a Power Magic Pro so that it is also recorded when the car is parked.

An installer proposes to connect directly to the battery of the car, because it says that it is the only way that a modern car does not cut the electric current when the car is parked, is that true ???

Where is the best option to connect it and works with the car closed with key?

Finally where do you think it is better to install it? my car has a camera for several security functions (AEB sensor, front assist, lane assist, etc) and in the manual of the car it says verbatim: do not place any accessory on the windshield!

Do you know where I can put it safely so it does not interfere with the Autonomous Emergency Braking camera?

Where would you put it? option 1 or option 2

Howy

Dec 28, 2017
West Yorkshire
Probably depends on size of camera normally would go in position 1 but if it interferes with built in camera best in pos 2 but i'm no dashcam expert but thinking of fitting one myself.

WestsideTouge

Feb 26, 2018
Mine goes in position 2 but a little lower depending on how far the wiper goes.
Power is the hard part in newer cars. I don't park in risk areas very often, so for me a big usb power bank (around 20000mAh) keeps it going for about 24hrs. When not in use it's charged. Downside is having to change cables when you exit the car.
Hardwiring is best but also means getting a cable from the battery to the cabin.

Reactions: thunder

thunder

Feb 26, 2018
Mine goes in position 2 but a little lower depending on how far the wiper goes.
Power is the hard part in newer cars. I don't park in risk areas very often, so for me a big usb power bank (around 20000mAh) keeps it going for about 24hrs. When not in use it's charged. Downside is having to change cables when you exit the car.
Hardwiring is best but also means getting a cable from the battery to the cabin.
Thank you very much for your response, can you upload a pic of your dash cam on the i30 ? Mine is a VIOFO 119 I hope this not affect the Autonomous Emergency Braking camera

I doubt if is necessary for Hardwiring connect the cable to the battery or u can use the fuse of blinkers for example...

WestsideTouge

Feb 26, 2018
Thank you very much for your response, can you upload a pic of your dash cam on the i30 ? Mine is a VIOFO 119 I hope this not affect the Autonomous Emergency Braking camera

I doubt if is necessary for Hardwiring connect the cable to the battery or u can use the fuse of blinkers for example...
Sorry I forgot to mention I'm still waiting for my car. I don't see any problem with position 2. Even in position 1 it should not cause problems imo. However, something like a sticker placed on the outside will not make the aeb camera happy.
Maybe a fuse can be used but i'm not familiar with that. It would make hardwiring a lot simpler.
Good choice on the a119, I have 4 of those now for our cars. Still contemplating on putting all 4 of them in my i30n when it finally arrives :rolleyes:

Seai30n

Feb 5, 2018
Mine is placed on the opposite side of the rear view mirror to the driving position so it's out of my view. I asked about having it set up in 'park mode' and they said it would drain the battery in 2 hours.

WestsideTouge

Feb 26, 2018
Mine is placed on the opposite side of the rear view mirror to the driving position so it's out of my view. I asked about having it set up in 'park mode' and they said it would drain the battery in 2 hours.
Wow 2 hours, that's quick! One a119 in park mode drains half (30Ah) of the i30n 60Ah battery in about 10 days.

Seai30n

Feb 5, 2018
Wow 2 hours, that's quick! One a119 in park mode drains half (30Ah) of the i30n 60Ah battery in about 10 days.
I just spoke to Silent witness who make the dashcam and they said yes it would drain the battery if left permanently on. The only way around it to have a switch installed which again would only last a couple hours before turning off....i am pretty pissed off really as that was one of the main reasons why I wanted this particular dash cam as it does say on the box "24 hour park mode" but fail to mention only on vehicles with a leisure battery.

WestsideTouge

Feb 26, 2018
I just spoke to Silent witness who make the dashcam and they said yes it would drain the battery if left permanently on. The only way around it to have a switch installed which again would only last a couple hours before turning off....i am pretty pissed off really as that was one of the main reasons why I wanted this particular dash cam as it does say on the box "24 hour park mode" but fail to mention only on vehicles with a leisure battery.
I have no idea what power a silent witness cam uses but with wifi it wil be quite a bit. My a119 needs 300mAh in park mode.
True about that automatic switch when voltage gets low, otherwise it will damage the battery. I also doubt enough starting power is left in winter.
Another downside to hardwiring :(

I looked for a big usb powerbank that can be charged and discharged at the same time so I can leave all cables connected but even that seems very very hard to find. So it's switching cables for now. Only takes a couple of seconds but easy to forget :confused:

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Hello everyone

I just bought the camera and I want to connect it with a Power Magic Pro so that it is also recorded when the car is parked.

An installer proposes to connect directly to the battery of the car, because it says that it is the only way that a modern car does not cut the electric current when the car is parked, is that true ???

Where is the best option to connect it and works with the car closed with key?

Finally where do you think it is better to install it? my car has a camera for several security functions (AEB sensor, front assist, lane assist, etc) and in the manual of the car it says verbatim: do not place any accessory on the windshield!

Do you know where I can put it safely so it does not interfere with the Autonomous Emergency Braking camera?

Where would you put it? option 1 or option 2

i just did what you have commented on with some pictures.

Attachments

Reactions: thunder and paul-h

Dan_bush27

Mar 19, 2018
UK
youtu.be
I just bought a Garmin 55 today, with hardwire parking kit, not a clue how to do this, Halfords did offer a hardwire install as I bought the maneea from
Them for £30....but not sure I trust Halfords

paul-h

Staff member
Dec 15, 2017
Glasgow
I just bought a Garmin 55 today, with hardwire parking kit, not a clue how to do this, Halfords did offer a hardwire install as I bought the maneea from
Have you got a piggyback fuse holder that suits these small fuses? That’s the first place to start.

DanFez

Apr 11, 2018
Stockton on Tees
Nothing wrong with Halfords - just need the right store - if you were local to the North East id be more than happy to help.

ColinP

May 17, 2018
Peak District
Going back to the OP, on my ST, I got fed up of the dashcam randomly falling off the window so just got some velcro and stuck it to the dashboard - had to build a support for the front of the camera to stop it falling forward - basically taped a foam block to it!
I mean, it is called a "dash" cam...

Obviously you can't hide the wires as well but that doesn't bother me.

Probably look at doing the same when I get my N.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Thank u very much for sharing the pics.

Use the spare fuse 10-amp socket there are a whole lot just take your pic whichever one you like for the acc meaning when you switch on the engine and use the 25-amp passenger seat for the battery and just earth it though make sure you use a smaller for the accessory your are installing that is already in place I just used 5-amp fuses as I could not get smaller amperage fuses. I simply used a radiator earth clamp for the earth saved using the factory earth.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
It’s simple actually if I can do it so can you the wiring on your kit will have three wires once labelled earth, one labelled acc and one labelled battery just make sure you use the piggy back fuse the correct way around a clue the 12v is on the right-side side leg looking at the fuse box or use a voltmeter to check for 12 v hot side. Below is a you tube video on how to fid what it is I am talking about. Simples..

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
I have had my balckvue on for 6 hrs plus while out shopping say a Saturday we head into town and spend the day shopping then for a meal after maybe go to the cinema ya know life’s little pleasures and the blackvue was still running when I returned to the car in parking mode the blackvue switches off and goes into a low state and only activates when it detects motion or a knock so isn’t running continually also helps if the wifi is off as that will drain a battery pretty quickly again this can be switched off either automatically after 10 minutes or off completely I use the power magic pro and set it to 11.6 volts battery drainage before the blackvue will shut off completely and as yet it is still on when I return to the car. If it does drain and switches off I will report back.

Though when installed in my Renault as you say after maybe say an hour or two it would switch off as I think the cars battery system monitors the battery level but on my Hyundai as yet it has nto happened.