• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Dash cam reccomendations

My dealer will install any dashcam you give them.
I bought a Mio dashcam, the parameters I wanted to have in it implied that it also has wifi but frankly I don't use that feature. I also bought a Mio brand smartbox for power, for some reason can't find it on their international websites... this way you connect the powerbox directly to the car battery (or any always-on circuit), and on the smart box you set up the stuff like minimal voltage. This way the camera is always on for parking mode, but won't drain your battery dead if you leave it for a couple days, smart box will cut power to the camera if battery drops to set voltage or after set time I think.
Thanks Asd, do you have any links to what you bought (both the cam and power box) I’m thinking this combo is the way forward, whether it’s this one or another.

Looking at maybe a cam that records both front and a certain degree back (don’t want a separate rear camera, I’m not a copper!) seem to be some good ones on Amazon!

asd

Thanks Asd, do you have any links to what you bought (both the cam and power box) I’m thinking this combo is the way forward, whether it’s this one or another.

Looking at maybe a cam that records both front and a certain degree back (don’t want a separate rear camera, I’m not a copper!) seem to be some good ones on Amazon!
Here's the power box (for some reason it's not so obvious to find):
>click<

The cam was Mivue 792 + rear camera A30 I think,
I think >here< is the whole set for reference, but look it up on your own, I got a better deal than the one in the link.

stig_3754

For anyone wondering, these cars take Micro 2 fuse types, so hard wiring with an appropriate Micro Fuse 2 holder/tap should do the trick. I have a Navman MiVue 780 with Smart Box which I used in my previous car (Mini Fuse so the holders won't work in this car). At the moment it's plugged into the 12V socket using the standard cable. Once I get the right fuse holder I'll be installing the Smart Box to the fuse panel to be able to use Parking Mode.

GlennM

Partly installed mine yesterday (Mobius Maxi).
Need to route the cable to the fuse box (need to check where it is) and hardwire it with a fuse tap.

IMG_20190109_213316-1856x1392.jpg

Stash-N

Viofo install pictures. I have the GPS mount which I like as the 12v power lead plugs into it and then the camera can be taken off and put back on like a "hot shoe" fitting on an SLR camera.
I have not hard wired mine in at this point. I may do in the future. Wiring shots have been posted elsewhere by other members with greater photographic skills than I.
The camera is well priced and the resultant footage is good.
I would be interested to hear what others use to play the recordings however. I just use Quicktime on my Mac but would like a better player specifically for this type of recordings. Many of the Youtube reviewers seem to have some good software.

1547371386949.jpeg 1547371321757.jpeg
1547371112640.jpeg

Viofo install pictures. I have the GPS mount which I like as the 12v power lead plugs into it and then the camera can be taken off and put back on like a "hot shoe" fitting on an SLR camera.
I have not hard wired mine in at this point. I may do in the future. Wiring shots have been posted elsewhere by other members with greater photographic skills than I.
The camera is well priced and the resultant footage is good.
I would be interested to hear what others use to play the recordings however. I just use Quicktime on my Mac but would like a better player specifically for this type of recordings. Many of the Youtube reviewers seem to have some good software.

View attachment 4947 View attachment 4946
View attachment 4945

Hi Stash-N, thanks for the photos and I agree the Viofo with the GPS is the way to go , but me being a neatness freak I’ll get my auto electrician to hard wire it for me.
Thanks again

asd

Some time after installing mine I see I will need to readjust the anti drain box to be more restrictive. My ISG(start/stop) rarely works now, pretty surre it's because the battery voltage is too low and it just keeps the car running to charge.