• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis Dangerous steering glitch.

Buzzerfish

Jun 8, 2018
Uk
Hi, my i30n 2018 15000 miles has developed an intermittent steering fault. Above 40mph usually within the first couple of miles of starting from cold the car makes a series of quite hard turns to the right. The steering wheel does not move but opposite correction is necessary to keep the car in lane....then the turning force to the right stops after about 1 second and the car veers left. This can repeat itself for anything from 3 to twenty times before it stops. The car has been checked by the dealer over 2 days and cant replicate the glitch or find anything wrong with the car. This happens with lane assist on or off. Any ideas chaps? Btw its bloody scary above 60mph!

Reactions: BigBri
Hi
Sounds like the steering or body control module or a connector loose in steering column.
I know the steering in modern cars needs calibrating so perhaps a sensor is faulty?
It could be the lane assist circuit. Did dealer take the car out with you in the car with a laptop plugged in to OBD port running live data? Might be worth asking?

Thanks, As far as I'm aware they just keep driving it to see if it does it again....then they will investigate......so far it's not happened with them driving it. It's like they dont believe me. They have kindly offered to check the tracking for 40 quid tho. Tracking is not an intermittent issue! Muppets.

Reactions: BigBri
So here's another issue.
I don't think anyone's denying that there are a number of issues with the i30N. But, as others have mentioned, owners' forums are always going to highlight problems with the car. That's the reason a lot of people sign up (myself included) - to post about a problem they're having and see if it's common and how other owners deal with it.

In my experience of different manufacturers, their performance models and the respective owners' forums over the last 17 years (the time since I bought my first hot hatch), I don't think the i30N is any worse. And that's coming from someone who's just had a new steering rack fitted after a few weeks of ownership. :D

Yes, a 'lot of time around', when I only joined y'day :rolleyes:
I wish i had 10% of your free time to navigate on forums that don't interest me. Go use your time/knowledge to help other members on the GTI forums, i'm sure that forum is flawless :)

We'll

You are reminded that you are currently spending time on an internet forum yourself.
Comedy gold.
Please quote the rest of the phrase, it isn't that long.... don't disrupt the reality.
Comedy gold indeed.

If you have another fault you wanna point out, please use the search button on your top right corner.

Just a friendly suggestion; https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/forum-rules.1217/

Everyone is welcome but there are limitations.:)

What you're engaged in, really does bode well for you or others. Looking for trouble and then inviting it, is something that isn't condoned. You're personal tone of commentary is a bit one sided.

You might consider toning it down a bit. I'm sure if you do, others will follow suit.:) If not, you'll most likely get reported by some of the members and end up not have the privilege of responding again.;)

The moderation of the forum is excellent and tolerant, to a point.

Last edited:
Read them, don't guess. Then you'll know how to conduct yourself accordingly.

Right now, you're an agitator and members are being fairly tolerant of your presence. It's completely apparent from your first post to the present. I don't advise pushing the edge, as you're engaged in presently.;):) I can guarantee though, it won't last long and I dare say neither will you.

This is just friendly advice for you to ponder. Keep the peace, not the purposeful irritation.:)

Last edited:
Back to the post, I believe that the lane keep assist isnt actually "turned off" if you just use the button (to the right of the steering wheel) but you have to navigate into the settings menu and manually turn it off there? Correct me if I'm wrong though, always learning new things about these cars daily.

Reactions: GazmaN and Davo01
Back to the post, I believe that the lane keep assist isnt actually "turned off" if you just use the button (to the right of the steering wheel) but you have to navigate into the settings menu and manually turn it off there? Correct me if I'm wrong though, always learning new things about these cars daily.

Yes do both. Set it to warning only. And then use the button to turn that off so that the symbol in the red circle is gone

E1BBA1C6-9937-4CED-B3B3-16D990991C33.jpeg

20FA2A8D-ECC1-49D3-99E2-0A14C8A917FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN and I30N_Asa
HI,
Can I gently remind you- again- to keep to the subject of the thread please. Unfortunatley, the post has had to be reported.
If you wish to continue to play surrogate and non-appointed moderator, there is, of course, the continued use of the 'non -replyable' personal message option if you insist on continuing your grievance. That way it frees up the thread and allows discussion from forum members to keep to the intended topic at hand.
Again, I'm sure this is also contained withing forum rules.

Thank you for your compliance on this matter.
Ahhhhh dude...

You're good. Really good. You are obviously well-educated. Your writing is sublime and I say that seriously. You have a brilliant mind, no doubt. But why the games? Are you just bored? I'm expecting to get pulled up on a technicality imminently, but that's cool. Maybe you'll 'best me' with a crafty retort (not that this is a competition) but I've been a sucker my whole life...obviously - I bought an i30N.

Well versed I’ll advised comes to mind.
Ahhhhh dude...

You're good. Really good. You are obviously well-educated. Your writing is sublime and I say that seriously. You have a brilliant mind, no doubt. But why the games? Are you just bored? I'm expecting to get pulled up on a technicality imminently, but that's cool. Maybe you'll 'best me' with a crafty retort (not that this is a competition) but I've been a sucker my whole life...obviously - I bought an i30N.

Well versed ill advised springs to mind.

Reactions: GazmaN
It's an 18. The problem has now been narrowed down to the e diff. A sensor is periodically sending most of the power to the near side front wheel in short pulses causing the turn to the right. It's not the lane assist cos the steering wheel isn't moving when it veers right. Hope to get it fixed next week.

I know Regal Motorsport are looking at a replacement or upgraded DIFF for the I30N so it can handle more power etc.
Good luck and I hope Hyundai fix the problem for you.

It's an 18. The problem has now been narrowed down to the e diff. A sensor is periodically sending most of the power to the near side front wheel in short pulses causing the turn to the right. It's not the lane assist cos the steering wheel isn't moving when it veers right. Hope to get it fixed next week.
Keep in mind, it might also be a dragging front brake. Metallic pads and solid rotors cause corrosion. Air in the brake lines will also.

If the TCU is sending the signal for a change in traction to a particular wheel, it's simple to detect and find. The TCU will throw a trouble code if a particular sensor is malfunctioning.

Did you get this resolved? I’m experiencing the same issue

Reactions: krablak