• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Damaging rims on curbs & potholes

Have driving into a pothole damaged your rims/car?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Pirellis are getting a lot of slack, and with reason, but for "serious" driving - they are absolutely great. Since this isnt a "track only" car, they dont make a lot of sense tho.

My car(I30N DCT facelift) only has 200 km, obviously tires are new and already hit a nasty pothole at ~40km/h. I do not detect any problems(visual or behavior), but the sound was absolutely awful. Fortunately, the edges of this deep pothole(sewer lid/cover) were pretty round and smooth. I never have to worry too much with my other car(Tucson). I understand damage to rims and tires is more(very?) likely to happen, but I was wondering about other parts like suspension, steering, axles, etc. How paranoid do I have to be, is the car strong enough to take some "abuse" on these components over potholes? Maybe I am overestimating the fragility of the car which is robbing my joy from the very beginning...

My car(I30N DCT facelift) only has 200 km, obviously tires are new and already hit a nasty pothole at ~40km/h. I do not detect any problems(visual or behavior), but the sound was absolutely awful. Fortunately, the edges of this deep pothole(sewer lid/cover) were pretty round and smooth. I never have to worry too much with my other car(Tucson). I understand damage to rims and tires is more(very?) likely to happen, but I was wondering about other parts like suspension, steering, axles, etc. How paranoid do I have to be, is the car strong enough to take some "abuse" on these components over potholes? Maybe I am overestimating the fragility of the car which is robbing my joy from the very beginning...
Had the same with my 1st gen i30n back in 2018 while having 1500km on it. While doing a rather quick / fast 180° turn on the street, I've underestimated the turning radius and hit quite a high curbing full on. Rim and tyre were visually damaged.
When I brought it in they've checked everything and found no damage besides the rim / tyre. I've only replaced the tyre and never had an issue with the rim or anything else.
I think to be a 100% on the safe side and to get rid of every last concern you'd have to get the car and affected parts checked for structural integrity / damage and stuff like that. Or even replace all affected parts.
I am very paranoid wit these things but trust me... you forget about it happening after a few days / weeks.

Reactions: V00D00
Thanks, I assume as long as I do not detect any visual damage or driving behavior problem I can relax and enjoy the car, no need to rush to mechanic after each damn pothole.