• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

CV boot/axle leak

Calbee

Apr 2, 2019
Hong Kong
I went under the car today to find out there was grease everywhere around the front left axle/ lower control arm. This is really concerning as the car had only 17k km on it (never launched or tracked). The only mods that I have done was powerflex lower toque mount, whiteline lowering springs and their anti lift bushing/kit. I doubt those mods have caused the issue, but have since reverted back to stock springs.

I hope this should be covered by warranty? Anyone else had the same issues?

Attachments

• cv boot2.jpg
    cv boot2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
No they would have cause the issue. If a CV boot is leaking, it's generally torn in some obscure location and need to be replace. Problem is; the entire half shaft needs to be replace as there isn't a boot replacement kit available.

The CV half shaft will begin to creak as the grease is flung out. The only option is to find the tear and repair if with some black rubber glue. Then utilize a grease gun with a syringe tip to put more appropriate grease into the boot.

OR

Tape

Keep in mind this is a temporary fix and required regular attention.

Driver Side;
IMG_8989__26025.1607031502.jpg

IMG_4995__64865.1599139086.500.750.jpg

876b72d140718c5d808d9859be6dfad4.png

This is an option if it fits;

Last edited:
Thank you for your information. Looks like swapping the whole axle is inevitable. Will contact the dealer and see what they can offer. I did notice some vibrations in the front suspension when the car is running below 50km/hr. Almost felt like the front suspension is somewhat loose. I am hoping the swap will solve this issue too.

No they would have cause the issue. If a CV boot is leaking, it's generally torn in some obscure location and need to be replace. Problem is; the entire half shaft needs to be replace as there isn't a boot replacement kit available.

The CV half shaft will begin to creak as the grease is flung out. The only option is to find the tear and repair if with some black rubber glue. Then utilize a grease gun with a syringe tip to put more appropriate grease into the boot.

OR

Tape

Keep in mind this is a temporary fix and required regular attention.

Driver Side;
IMG_8989__26025.1607031502.jpg

IMG_4995__64865.1599139086.500.750.jpg

876b72d140718c5d808d9859be6dfad4.png

This is an option if it fits;
In the parts diagram it lists part numbers for the boots, why do you say there's none available?

I did say they aren't available because you can't order them from PartSoup. You might be able to order them from the dealership direct but they weren't available from a parts house. The drive shaft/s still need to come out and split to install them along with the purchase of the necessary tooling to strap them onto the shaft housing. I seriously doubt the OP has the tooling or possibly the understanding of how to accomplish the task. So the alternative is using the split boot kits, I displayed above. You don't have to remove the shafts to install them.:)
4349511.gif

I did say they aren't available because you can't order them from PartSoup. You might be able to order them from the dealership direct but they weren't available from a parts house. The drive shaft/s still need to come out and split to install them along with the purchase of the necessary tooling to strap them onto the shaft housing. I seriously doubt the OP has the tooling or possibly the understanding of how to accomplish the task. So the alternative is using the split boot kits, I displayed above. You don't have to remove the shafts to install them.:)
4349511.gif
I reckon the dealer will just replace the boot, or the joint if it's been damaged.

Reactions: R Veloster N