• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

ICE Cruise control had a tantrum!

Rotorhead500

Nthusiast
Aug 16, 2018
Devon
Evening all. Off to work this morning, got on to dual carriageway, put cruise control on... all good.

Pulled into petrol station after about 20 miles, pulled back on to carriageway, put cruise on but it wouldn't let me set a speed. Cycled it on and off... checked for any error messages... no sign of a problem.

50 miles later parked up, switched off car and forgot about it. Driving home - got on to dual carriageway, switch cruise control on, set speed... behaved fine the whole way home!

Anybody experienced anything similar???

Reactions: Goran
Evening all. Off to work this morning, got on to dual carriageway, put cruise control on... all good.

Pulled into petrol station after about 20 miles, pulled back on to carriageway, put cruise on but it wouldn't let me set a speed. Cycled it on and off... checked for any error messages... no sign of a problem.

50 miles later parked up, switched off car and forgot about it. Driving home - got on to dual carriageway, switch cruise control on, set speed... behaved fine the whole way home!

Anybody experienced anything similar???
Exactly that. Only once though. I regularly travel up to Yorkshire using the A1. Stopped for a while due to a sudden traffic hold up, started the engine again and same. Cruise wouldn't engage at all. Next time I stopped, ignition off and on again and working again.

Exactly that. Only once though. I regularly travel up to Yorkshire using the A1. Stopped for a while due to a sudden traffic hold up, started the engine again and same. Cruise wouldn't engage at all. Next time I stopped, ignition off and on again and working again.
Hmmm... most odd! No hint of it before.

Only thing I can think, and don't see why it would affect CC, was that I was cycling through drive modes as I engaged CC... and it was just an electronic brain-fart / overload.

Is there a handbrake or braking thing you have to do otherwise it won’t let you use cruise control?

It’s in a thread somewhere (or someone will save me and my rambling before I find it!).

ETA the thread, but I'm guessing you must have tapped the brake at some point?

Is there a handbrake or braking thing you have to do otherwise it won’t let you use cruise control?

It’s in a thread somewhere (or someone will save me and my rambling before I find it!).

Only thing I did even vaguely different to normal Emma was cycle drive modes as I activated the cruise control... then went to set speed and... zilch!

Was only switching the car off that cured it. Had a quick word search on here but couldn't find a relevant thread.

Must have been having a funny half hour! Hopefully it’s just a one off glitch.

Mine did this earlier going through a 20…would have got in trouble for that DA9123FB-2D97-4936-8626-D9E1D6966817.jpeg

Reactions: Rotorhead500
My dealer won't let me have that. Not even a 20!!!

they’re such miserable gits, I just don’t get why they’re so bad at customer service. It costs them nothing to activate it?
Saying that we drove 120 mile round trip to look at a Cupra (OH wants one). Got there and the sales manager took the one OH wanted to look at home. Think they’re all awful 😂

• Wow
Reactions: loafer-N77

Spot on thanks.

Reactions: _Emma
I had exactly the same problem several time. My car is going to the dealer soon for this problem, a new ( refurbished, delivery time 2 months) GPS unit due to Apple carplay problems and a second repair of the gearbox ( 5th and 6th gear). The dealer tries hard to solve problems but Hyundai Belgium is very rigid. Not the best car I ever had, I must say.

I did a 2 x 1000 km round trip a few weeks ago and experienced the same issue with cruise control (2019 Fastback).

It manifests as follows: you can activate the cruise control system with the button with the tacho icon, and green "Cruise" comes up on dash. But pressing "set" doesn't set the speed, and "Set" doesn't light up on the dash.

There was no pattern I could discern. In my drive I did about 6 refuelling stops, and inbetween drove with and without cruise control. In the first leg there were no issues. In the second leg I had issues.

When Set would not come on, I tried holding Set, holding Cruise On/Off for 10 secs, pressing all of the buttons related to cruise control.

It's not caused by speed as at same speeds (between 100 kmh - 150 kmh) the cruise was working.

Oddly enough, I didn't have to restart the car to get it to work. At least on two instances, I just continued driving, and tried it a few times later. After about an hour of driving it started working flawlessly again. After another refuelling stop it again stopped working, and I was trying it every few minutes, and again it took a half hour or more to get it to work.

So no clue what causes it to refuse cooperation, but seems leaving it off for some time gets it to reset and start working again.

Next time it happens try a dab on the brake pedal. Cruise won't engage until it sees a valid brake signal.

Hmm, I highly doubt that from starting the engine at a rest stop, to getting to the autobahn, and driving for an hour, that I would have never pressed the brake pedal, before trying to activate cruise control. I'd dare to say I'm 100% certain of braking at some point.

It's a theory worth exploring though. Will try it on my next drive.