• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Crocoman’s FL Polar White DCT I30N Performance

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
Well, I took the plunge and went for the facelift DCT after many discussions, and way too much time spent online looking at every in and out of the car!

I was hoping for a brand new car but the wait times of circa 28 weeks made up our mind.

So, we have a Polar White Facelift, DCT with the N bucket seats. 3750 miles on her and first registered in June 2021. A pretty significant saving on new so that’s good, plus we’re being offered a good part exchange price on our present car.

We’ll have a 600 mile round trip sometime next week to drop off/collect however that just adds to the excitement.

Will post the obligatory homecoming photos when she arrives……can’t wait!

Now, who’s selling those black Hyundai badges again….:p

_Emma

Nthusiast
Oct 29, 2018
UK
I’ve just ordered another set of the badge covers, give it a couple months and I won’t use them again then they’re yours 😂

Reactions: Crocoman

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
Pick up is Friday 21st and everything all finalised. We aren’t part exchanging our present model - and will sell this privately. So it’s a train journey for my wife and I, from Glasgow down to Birmingham-ish. We didn’t fancy having to bring both cars back up the road.

On a related note, can any insurance experts (or simply people who know what to do!) pass on advice as to what to do next? We have paid our policy in full, on our current model in November. I’m hoping that we’ll have that for less than a month but best to keep it roadworthy/insured in the meantime.

So do we just contact our present insurer to add this new car on? Never had 2 cars before even for a short time so I’m just a bit unsure what to do.

many thanks

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
Hi everyone.

We've had the car now since Friday and I wanted to do an initial review and be as honest as possible. I have had the I30N since March 2018 (and on order for many months before that) and absolutely love the car, so have a nice bar to measure against.

Firstly, the colour. We went with the white and we really HAD to change colour. We had the Performance Blue on the 2018 car and went with the same colour again when I replaced that after the car was written off. I think the white looks better on the FL that it did on the pre-FL, simply because of the more prominent black trim. But that's just a personal opinion of course. Needless to say, it's absolutely filthy already.....

EXTERIOR

I really love the look of the FL and it's as you inspect it and spend time with it that you see that there are some really nice changes. The front headlights are a step up and I do like the revised grill design - I wouldn't say it was better but it's a nice change. The black antenna is welcome and the changes at the rear have grown on me. I initially was a little ambivalent towards the additional black trim on the rear but that, combined with the different placement of the lights, oh and those huge exhaust tips, make a good difference. I have my 2019 car sitting right next to my FL now and the FL does just look more 2022. That's just to be expected.

I'm perhaps in the minority here, but I love the wheels. I like seeing more of the brake disc and caliper (especially on the front) - we are going to face the same issues going forward with so little rubber surrounding the alloy, that there will be scary moments and costly bills if we haven't got our eyes open to all the potholes!! I haven't cleaned the car myself yet but the wheels on the pre FL were a little fiddly to clean but these look more open so should be a touchy easier to get in and about them.

INTERIOR

The infotainment is in a different league from the pre FL and that's just the way it is. I've not properly played about but the responsiveness is spot on, the screen is nice and clear and everything works as it should. Blue Link is a gimmick but it works fine. I've noticed some subtle changes like no chrome on the vent surrounds as opposed to the pre FL. Small things like that. The N bucket seats are lovely. Nice and comfy and felt fine for the 5hr trip back from Birmingham. The light on the head rest is cool but a little disappointed that the side mirrors don't dip in reverse. Not a game changer but the reversing camera sits so low no that we are definitely having to learn how to park a car again..... I believe the dipping of the side mirrors is related to the seats being manual. A little weird, but I'll get over it.

The car perhaps feels a bit better put together in terms of the interior but I wouldn't read too much into that comment, it's maybe that 'new car feel' that I still have.

GEARBOX/DRIVING

Ask me a few years ago about hot hatches and it's all about manual, driver feel etc. and it was sacrilege to suggest an auto in such a car. Now, I'm a complete convert. The gearbox is sensational and essentially makes this FL like a new model of car. It is super smooth, so intuitive and makes driving the car more fun in my opinion, not less fun. It was perfect cruising for much of the time for the long journey back and it never feels like you are in the wrong gear.

I've only had a couple of short drives using the semi auto and the paddle shifters in N mode but this is definitely more for a track I would say. I'm not saying I wouldn't use it on the road, but I would probably just more than likely keep it in full auto and switch to N mode/N Custom if I fancy a blast. Each to their own.

I'm really impressed with the DCT - what I would say to sum it up, is that it just makes the driving experience a lot more comfortable.

The car itself is still an I30N. It's still going to struggle with wheel hop with those Pirellis's and my god, I thought my MPG was bad in my pre FL, this one looks like it's going to sit in the high teens if I'm lucky. I'm slowly making peace with this.:rolleyes:

Finally, the exhaust sound. I am pretty content with this. I've been through the whole 'remove every part of the exhaust until it sounds as loud as you can go' phase! It's still got a nice burble to it, and with the valves open in N mode I would still argue that it sounds as good as anything in the same bracket. And those DCT 'farts' are amusing.

OVERALL

This car still ticks all the boxes for us. It's fast, it looks great, it's now got a ton of safety features that are welcome, and it feels like after 4 years, we have a new car which will satisfy us for another 4 years.

I'll get some pics up but only once she is clean;)

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
I thought I had reverse parked perfectly straight at Aldi last night, and well, when I got out the car was almost at a 45 degree angle!! Having the reverse camera right above the license plate is making it more likely to be filthy as it’s so low.

Need to get in the habit of giving it a wipe every time I get into the car. First world problems eh:p

Reactions: _Emma