• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Crack on Steering Wheel

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
This isn't a knock here but I think we need to clarify as you mention this all the time.

Hyundai Assurance is just a US only thing and not relevant to everyone else outside the US (generally speaking).

Our process in Europe:
We have a Warranty.
The Dealership decides if its a Warranty claim. Some accept everything, some wriggle out of it.
If the dealership says its not a Warranty claim then the owner has to contact Hyundai head office in their country and bitch and moan to them to try and get things done. This takes time and is a massive ball-ache. Some countries head offices are better than others.
Or go to another dealership and try again.

I wish we did have something like Hyundai Assurance but we don't (unless I've been living under a rock and not realised we do) :(
Basically we have to do all the "Donkey Work" ourselves if dealers are being awkward.
This is the same process here. A dealership will assess if it's a warranty issue, then elevate it to Hyundai Assurance. Sometimes you have to go to Hyundai direct to file a complaint against the dealership when they make a wrong assessment.

This is why I use the same terminology time and again. :)

Last edited:

LITTLE-n-LENA

Feb 1, 2020
Doncaster East, Melbourne.
I noticed awhile ago whilst cleaning the car what looked like a ridge on the black plastic above the volume controls lhs of wheel, i assumed it was a fault in the moulding but thought nothing else of it.
I have since discovered that it has now cracked all across the plastic, not very happy ☹
I was speaking to the dealers the other day about a warranty claim that i am still waiting a response on, in regards to the headlight condensation, i mentioned the wheel crack, they said that they had never heard of it before but i should raise the issue when i take the car back.
I was wondering if anybody has seen or heard of this happening before?
I HAD THIS EXACT CRACK and my volume controls weren’t working. I bought the car as a demo and when I went back to my dealer he fixed the wiring but basically says ‘you bought the car as it is - it’s your issue not ours’. So ive still got the crack but the controls work 👍🏻

Monty

Sep 19, 2018
lancashire
Go to a Hyundai dealer and ask for it to be repaired under warranty, if they refuse raise the issue with Hyundai directly, see post by
R Veloster N
It is definitely a warranty fix, you shouldn't have to put up with damage to the steering wheel that's not your fault !

Reactions: R Veloster N

sgfastback

Sep 18, 2019
Sydney
Had my car serviced recently and mentioned the crack on the steering wheel. It took them a while to get back to me, but said Hyundai has agreed to fix it under warranty. They will let me know when the part arrives, so I can bring the car in. The dealer said they may be replacing the whole steering wheel o_O. Talk about overkill. Heck, they may as well replace the whole car with a new one.

red dutch

May 12, 2019
@home
I HAD THIS EXACT CRACK and my volume controls weren’t working. I bought the car as a demo and when I went back to my dealer he fixed the wiring but basically says ‘you bought the car as it is - it’s your issue not ours’. So ive still got the crack but the controls work 👍🏻

You have a 5 year warranty, no issue of being second hand.!

At least, these are my thoughts and it is the rule for EU, today i'm going to the dealer he has to let Hyundai know that my car is in The Netherlands now so i can make use of the warranty.

Reactions: Damir

red dutch

May 12, 2019
@home
No need to, warrenty is transferable to another owner.
As stated on the dutch Hyundai website.

My car is going in this moday to check out the e-diff, hopefully the claim will be accept.

Reactions: R Veloster N