• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Condensation in the headlight

Gave the car a very good clean today, detailed, tar removed and waxed.

I did notice that I have condensation at the bottom of one of the headlights, drivers side.

I guess this will need to go back to the dealership.

View attachment 101
This is a very common issue. I work for Hyundai in the states and we see it a few times a month. It is not a serious problem and when you park the car in sunlight it tends to go away rapidly. However if it really bothers you there is a simple method to get rid of it. All you do is drill a small hole through the bottom of the housing so you get a little better ventilation throughout the light. And problem solved

Reactions: Cygnus X-1
However if it really bothers you there is a simple method to get rid of it. All you do is drill a small hole through the bottom of the housing so you get a little better ventilation throughout the light. And problem solved
Before everyone goes off to do this, can you explain how easy it is to remove the dirt that will inevitably make its way into the light unit through the small hole when you are driving in winter salty spray. Ta.

Before everyone goes off to do this, can you explain how easy it is to remove the dirt that will inevitably make its way into the light unit through the small hole when you are driving in winter salty spray. Ta.
I live in a Region of the US that has really harsh winters with tons of salt and snow dissolving chemicals being used. And during the summer time it is very dry and my area in general is rather dusty. And I have yet to see someone come back and complain of dirt getting inside the lens. Obviously prior planning is key and the hole needs to be done in a strategic location so the problem you mentioned doesn’t happen. Typically when we do the hole it is through the bottom of the light and as far back and possible so there is little chance of anything getting kicked up and into it. Also if you do end up getting stuff inside i would just use a bit of pressurized air to blow any contaminates out.

Reactions: Stash-N
wouldn't this be more like a drain?
It functions as a drain and also a breather hole. The problem with the LED lights is they don’t get hot like the traditional halogen bulbs do. So any residual moisture that builds up from temp variations doesn’t get cooked off right away . Now use this information anyway you like. It’s always worked for us and we haven’t had a person come back and complain yet but depending on where you live and your driving habits this may not work for you. But I’m just sharing what we’ve had good luck with in the past.

Don't do that yourself, let Hyundai do that to your car. I can bet my car on the fact if you do this and then your light packs up or your crack it or you manage to set fire to your car in the process, they're not going to do anything except send you a big old bill for it.

Don't do that yourself, let Hyundai do that to your car. I can bet my car on the fact if you do this and then your light packs up or your crack it or you manage to set fire to your car in the process, they're not going to do anything except send you a big old bill for it.
I absolutely agree like I’ve stated above. This is my opinion based on prior experience. Will this work for everybody, no. But for dozens of our clients it has. If you’re confident in your abilities it is not a hard task to complete. But if you do this the wrong way you risk clipping an internal wire or drilling through the power components. And it could lead to further issues down the road. However if you do catch your car on fire it’s going to be really hard to blame it on the headlights when they turn into a solidified plastic mess with parts of your bumper thrown in there lol

Totally agree Emma, The whole point of buying a new car is all of the hassle with things like this is a warranty issue!

Reactions: Stash-N and _Emma
You miss the point. Hyundai says this condensation is perfectly normal and not a warranty issue. Therefore if you want something done about it then you have to do it yourself :(

You miss the point. Hyundai says this condensation is perfectly normal and not a warranty issue. Therefore if you want something done about it then you have to do it yourself :(
A bit of 'mist' that disappears after a short drive is one thing, had that on other cars, but as Emma has just said, as I was writing! water? NO,NO,NO! I would and will be straight back for a new headlamp unit if that happens to ME :)

Having trouble with dealership sorting out condensation and water obviously getting into light cluster, had t ring hyundia UK,to speak to dealership to resolve this once and for all, not happy at mo

First of all I don't know what timeline this is but G'day @James simpson I'm James Simpson from Australia (had to do a double take when I saw your account...)

I hope your dealer sorts out your fog issues, that is an insane amount o_O

@speedking some fogging up which clears is normal and not warranty - this is clearly abnormal and pooling so warranty?
I tend to agree with @_Emma in that @Geoff Fear stated some condensation is "normal" and should dissipate after 30 minutes or so. If water is pooling then take back to the dealer. Apologies if I have this a little wrong. I can accept that as I think most owners would. The large amount of water in the photos posted earlier seems excessive and I am doubting if this would do a disappearing trick after several hours if at all. This then is a warranty issue with the vehicle clearly within the warranty period. If Hyundai then decide to drill an additional drain / vent / breather hole then this is there decision to address the problem. If this has other ramifications then they can change the headlight unit at their cost. If you or I drill a hole then they have cause to deny warranty in my opinion. Don't forget to pull out the "safety card" if you believe the amount of water / dirt / rust compromises the headlight operation. So many people will change their point of view if safety is thrown into the mix. :)

I have to take it back for a hopefully final test when it is raining. A lot of faffing about at mo,its going back to dealership monday