• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Clutch slip at high rpm

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
Has anyone with their cars remapped or running higher torque experienced this, 3/4th gear?

I had this the other evening, perfect driving conditions so I probably managed to put down the most power/torque the car has ever had, timed perfectly with the turbo coming on boost.

Slipped at 70mph in 3/4th. I take it the torque limiters have been removed with the remap, so just need to be cautious for now.

I’m going to try and recreate it to be sure, but pretty certain that’s what it is.

Might it have been, tire slip instead or the tires chirping?
Was it quick, for about a second or so?
Did it feel similar to, losing traction for a second or so, then catching with a grabbing feel?
Did it only do so once?

I ask because, sometimes chirping can feel like this as well. You might also hit some oily road and the tires simply slipped.

Reactions: Crocoman
Thanks for the feedback.

I don’t think so. The revs were like bouncing (all the shift lights lit) and even when I shifted into 4th, there was no change. No power, no change in revs.

This is all over the course of a few seconds. Eased off the throttle and it was completely fine after that. Burning smell quite potent afterwards but nothing now.

As I say, I don’t think I have ever asked the car to give me so much as I did at that particular point, for that split second.....

Reactions: R Veloster N
Thanks for the feedback.

I don’t think so. The revs were like bouncing (all the shift lights lit) and even when I shifted into 4th, there was no change. No power, no change in revs.

This is all over the course of a few seconds. Eased off the throttle and it was completely fine after that. Burning smell quite potent afterwards but nothing now.

As I say, I don’t think I have ever asked the car to give me so much as I did at that particular point, for that split second.....

That definitely sounds like clutch slip, have you had your car dyno'd after the remap/mods to get a torque figure? I find it curious that mine's holding 370ft lbs @the wheels but yours is slipping...

By your description, definately sounds like a bit of clutch slippage, especially with the burning smell. Minor engagement problem but I'm just guessing. I can't believe the OEM clutch can't take the extra torque produced from just a tune.

I don't think you went that radical on a tune either, by the sounds of it. Do you have an; intake, downpipe, IC or any other modifications?

Thanks again folks for the feedback.

Peak torque is now 345/350 ft lbs and the graph is very linear. Not radical by any stretch of the imagination. No other mods.

Running for a month and no issue whatsoever - went from 279bhp/298ft lbs to 307 and 345 respectively. I called my mechanic who is a good friend and he wouldn’t worry unless it happens regularly. The OEM clutch should be more than ok. 13500 miles. He did say to try and recreate it.

It all makes perfect sense to me, but I know people are running higher torque than that, so just curious.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Sorry, meant to say that maybe the tuner DIDN’T remove torque limits? So, the clutch is ok for that torque but the ECU kicked in first. If that makes sense....

Reactions: bradders
Hopefully just a one off, though it only makes me think about just leaving mine standard.

Reeeaaallly dumb question (and please don’t be insulted): you didn’t leave your foot resting on the clutch pedal did you? Even a little bit?

I only ask coz my mate has done it (fingers not foot) on his moto lol...

There seems to be a lot of clutch related issues popping up. On the Facebook I30N page someone had to get their N towed last week because of a wrecked clutch.