• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out out the i30 N Bible Here!

Clutch and Hill assist

_Emma

Bit of an odd one, but has anyone else noticed their clutch pedal makes a ‘spring’ noise when you’re releasing it whilst the hill assist is on? You can hear the noise and feel a vibration through the pedal - but the noise is in the cabin and it doesn’t feel like a clutch vibration. It doesn’t happen unless the hill assist is engaged and isn’t mode dependent. As I said it’s more like a spring squeaking or something. I mentioned it on service a couple of weeks ago and they dutifully did and said nothing. I’ll probably have to take it back again but thought I’d ask in case I can just sort it myself.

Thanks!

J BOB

Yes I think I had that on the two occasions I used hill assist, I'm old school and prefer just to use the hand brake, but am I right in thinking this hill assist system lets go after a period of time?

_Emma

Yes I think I had that on the two occasions I used hill assist, I'm old school and prefer just to use the hand brake, but am I right in thinking this hill assist system lets go after a period of time?
After a couple of seconds I think. We live on a big hill and so it activates several times a day, and I’ve really noticed it. It doesn’t feel ‘bad’ just annoying. But it’s definitely the clutch pedal making the noise and not the clutch of that makes sense?

J BOB

After a couple of seconds I think. We live on a big hill and so it activates several times a day, and I’ve really noticed it. It doesn’t feel ‘bad’ just annoying. But it’s definitely the clutch pedal making the noise and not the clutch of that makes sense?
Wouldn't worry! As I said I prefer using the handbrake and luckily We have a proper one, Nothing better for hand braking outside Mc'Donalds and impressing the girls.....I am 50 years of age...:oops:

_Emma

@J BOB Mine just engages straight away, even just pulling out of our driveway, pause for two seconds to check it’s clear and it’s bloody well on! I can’t work round it, tried disabling it when we bought it but I can’t see where.

Well you gotta impress those girls it’d be rude not to? Nobody is impressed with mine anymore, boring people!

J BOB

@J BOB Mine just engages straight away, even just pulling out of our driveway, pause for two seconds to check it’s clear and it’s bloody well on! I can’t work round it, tried disabling it when we bought it but I can’t see where.

Well you gotta impress those girls it’d be rude not to? Nobody is impressed with mine anymore, boring people!
No Emma, that does sound wrong, My understanding is that the driver engages the system via the brake pedal, when clutch is let go it should come off, unless it needs throttle as well, not sure, always thought these systems were for up hill starts but maybe for downhill too? If so then You wouldn't be using the gas surely?:confused:

_Emma

No Emma, that does sound wrong, My understanding is that the driver engages the system via the brake pedal, when clutch is let go it should come off, unless it needs throttle as well, not sure, always thought these systems were for up hill starts but maybe for downhill too? If so then You wouldn't be using the gas surely?:confused:

Sorry that’s my fault how I’ve worded it. I use the brake not the handbrake, probably just tap it and there it is (our driveway is fairly steep). It doesn’t work downhill as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

It’s just the noise it makes. I’ll see if I can wedge myself down by the pedals and take a look at the weekend.

SAP14

I did not experience any vibrations, but yes it is odd, especially there is no signal lamp that hill assist is engaged. Sometimes engages after few seconds and sometimes not. Down heel is not working. I have Audi A4 which is having hill assist and is working up and down the hill with signal lamp showing that system is active. Normally should disengage when torque is applied on the wheels.

_Emma

@SAP14 mine works ok, but it’s start making a squeaky noise and a slight vibration in the pedal. That’s what I’m wondering if anyone has experienced :)

SAP14

hi Emma, good to know what to expect in near future. I had similar on Honda type R, but there was no hill assist, reason was o-ring on clutch cylinder, from time to time a little bit of silicon spray and all troubles have been gone. I can not say if there is similar issue with N as I did not experience it.

_Emma

If I work it out I’ll let you know! As I said I mentioned it along with other issues and they didn’t look at them. They did manage to drive it like nutters for a few miles after being told not to take it out under any circumstance though :rolleyes:

J BOB

@SAP14 mine works ok, but it’s start making a squeaky noise and a slight vibration in the pedal. That’s what I’m wondering if anyone has experienced :)
Yes that sounds like what I had, as I say I don't use it, My previous car had hill assist but on that I could never work out how it worked! :eek:

Corsa59

Is there any way in the ECU to permanently disable the hill start assist?

Mine works perfectly, but I have been driving manual cars for 40 years, never had one before, and don't need or want it.

_Emma

No, there's not as far as I can tell. I don't have any interest in using it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

My hill assist works fine. It's just the clutch pedal that squeaks when you release the clutch to disengage. Doesn't happen any other time.

_Emma

@Corsa59 No I haven't, that's what I was wondering about doing. It's worth a try. I really don't want to give to the garage for another day for it not to be looked at!!