• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Car Throttle Top 10 Hot Hatches

Interesting read - thanks for sharing!
New 1 series BMW being not in the list is so well deserved - what an extremely ugly car. But sadly new Golf and A3 look shitty either. Last decade was a good one for the hot hatch models but I'm really afraid about what the next one will bring.

The I30N and Veloster might well be more remembered in years to come because they are, unfortunately, part of a dying breed.

It makes me genuinely sad to think that new cars are going to be so much for sanitised. And I tip my hat to Hyundai for actually developing and releasing these cars in the climate.

And for them to be held in such high regard in the car scene.

What I will say though is this. You can put the I30N at 10 that list and put another car number 1 and nobody would question it. It’s pure subjective and for the Focus RS not to feature but the other 2 ‘hyper’ hatches to be in there is odd for me.

Awesome read though!!

Reactions: GazmaN
Decent write up. Though quite easy to swap a few of these cars around in the listing. As already comment, these sorts of things are so subjective.

Some of the comments re current Focus ST mirror what I thought when test driving one (had three Focus ST's prior to this). Especially regarding the fixed driving modes (limp is also how I would describe the "normal" setting as well). Decided on the I30 N as it seemed to me to stick closer to what "my" definition of what a hot-hatch should be.

Focus RS not in the list I suspect as it's no longer in production.

Reactions: GazmaN
Big call putting the N above the Type R, yeh it looks mental, but it’s an absolute animal, I’ll take 1st though..

Decent write up. Though quite easy to swap a few of these cars around in the listing. As already comment, these sorts of things are so subjective.

Some of the comments re current Focus ST mirror what I thought when test driving one (had three Focus ST's prior to this). Especially regarding the fixed driving modes (limp is also how I would describe the "normal" setting as well). Decided on the I30 N as it seemed to me to stick closer to what "my" definition of what a hot-hatch should be.

Focus RS not in the list I suspect as it's no longer in production.
It's not at the moment. However, it will possess over 400+ horsepower as Ford has stated.

Big call, I don't believe so. Priced far less than the quirky racerboy looking Honda Type R, similar performance with more room for a family and availability.

Reactions: Crocoman
It's not at the moment. However, it will possess over 400+ horsepower as Ford has stated.

Big call, I don't believe so. Priced far less than the quirky racerboy looking Honda Type R, similar performance with more room for a family and availability.

MK4 Focus RS cancelled as far as I'm aware.
https://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/572831-mk4-rs-cancelled/

+ many other O/L articles.

Though I suppose Ford might change it's mind (once again). But in my opinion, don't hold your breath.
Quite happy to be proved wrong :)

• Sad
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
This fleet emission is just plain bullshit. A stupidly heavy "Hybrid" - SUV with 2,5 t uses 1,5 l per 100 km (only on the paper) and is so called "green" and small and medium sized cars die out because they go into statistics with real values... .

We'll see, won't we.:)

Considering the Office Furniture CEO can't make up his mind about anything but shareholder profits. I'm betting he won't be around much longer, after nearly putting Ford into bankruptcy during this pandemic. Along with the shareholder profits tanking.;)

Profits came to Ford, when they took chances, expanded and developed worthy cars under the Ford Performance banner. They haven't, every since this CEO came into being and chopped their ability to expand and offer cars that have appealed to a wide spectrum of buyers. Now, they make very few cars, many trucks and SUV's. Wow, they such a wide variety of cars now. :rolleyes:

Ford can blame it on euro 6 standards or anything they desire. However, it comes down to what this nimrod CEO thinks and does to help Ford to stay alive and profitable, until they axes him as CEO.

Off again, on again, off again. It's the way of the world. Either way, we'll just have to wait and see.

They're out of WRC, GP Racing, Off Road Racing, SCCA, Trans Am, and most GT2 and GT3 venues. Every time Ford has done this in the past, It's cost them financially. It's the same pattern happening once again. When they finally get rid of this CEO and start back with the performance program, they'll start being profitable once again.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mightymoo
This fleet emission is just plain bullshit. A stupidly heavy "Hybrid" - SUV with 2,5 t uses 1,5 l per 100 km (only on the paper) and is so called "green" and small and medium sized cars die out because they go into statistics with real values... .

Could not agree more....

So many people (and especially BIG companies) are doing nothing more (in my opinion) than paying lip service to being "green".

Stay safe.

They want to sell SUVs to soccer moms. :rolleyes:

Screw the "green," bull. Until they stop them big 5/10 Ton lorries and tractor trailers, from puffing out black diesel smoke, aircraft from flying, giant sea going vessels from sailing and the like, it's all horse shite!!:)

It's all lip services, including the so called "green movement." Maybe better described as; " bowel movement." ;)🤣

Last edited:
Red,

Hate to say it but you nailed it in your last post! I couldn't agree more! Just nothing more than a money power grab. Business as usual, right?

Br,

-Mike

Even before I looked at the list I would only buy the I30n or the Fiesta ST, they're the only hot hatches that have the perfect mix of performance, fun and price!

As for the M135i, I love BMWs but god that thing is ugly, slower than what it replaced and nowhere near as much fun, every time I see one I just want to crash into it!:oops:

Then there is the new Golf GTI, which is just as slow as the old one...:D

Even before I looked at the list I would only buy the I30n or the Fiesta ST, they're the only hot hatches that have the perfect mix of performance, fun and price!

As for the M135i, I love BMWs but god that thing is ugly, slower than what it replaced and nowhere near as much fun, every time I see one I just want to crash into it!:oops:

Then there is the new Golf GTI, which is just as slow as the old one...:D
I agree about the i30N and FiST being great hot hatches, but would you really take those over the A45-S if price wasn’t an issue? The Mercedes has an insane amount of power for a car of that size, it’s ridiculous.. all I’m saying is if I could afford it I’d be going for the A45 or RS3, no doubt about it.

I agree about the i30N and FiST being great hot hatches, but would you really take those over the A45-S if price wasn’t an issue? The Mercedes has an insane amount of power for a car of that size, it’s ridiculous.. all I’m saying is if I could afford it I’d be going for the A45 or RS3, no doubt about it.

Well, the RS3 and A45 might be a heck quicker, they certainly are not more fun to drive. I think the i30n with the Type R and ST are one of the most fun hatchbacks to drive.

But if money is not an issue I would certainly took the A45S. Shame it's around 120.000 euro.....

Well, the RS3 and A45 might be a heck quicker, they certainly are not more fun to drive. I think the i30n with the Type R and ST are one of the most fun hatchbacks to drive.

But if money is not an issue I would certainly took the A45S. Shame it's around 120.000 euro.....
I think the ST is going to have its hands full soon with the i20N, I have a feeling that’ll be cracking car, I know it’ll look better, not a fan of the new look ST, last model looked better, more aggressive, also the GR Yaris will have a hell of a lot to say soon me thinks..