• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Car guy appropriate house [UK only]

Hi all,
Please delete this if deemed not for here.
A friend is looking for a house to purchase in the Manchester or Liverpool areas that is appropriate for a car guy (nice driveway, garage for atleast one car). His budget is 150k £. I'm asking here because real estate websites don't really have a "car guy" filter :D

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you :)

I’d be looking at North Manchester, or if he looks further out like Tottington or around Bury he might get something like that. South Manchester is generally more expensive. You’d maybe get a two bed terrace somewhere like Levenshulme, Longsight or Reddish for that money. On street parking though. I paid nearly double that for a three bed with space for two cars.

In a few years I’ll move to a bigger house with a garage so I can finally get a Caterham.

iiNNEX

150k will not even buy a flat where I live, let alone a house! The bloody property prices are an absolute nightmare, here is hoping Brexit changes that.

150k will not even buy a flat where I live, let alone a house! The bloody property prices are an absolute nightmare, here is hoping Brexit changes that.
I don’t see it changing, if anything a weaker pound has seen more foreign investment in the U.K. property market. Laws where you can only buy property if you’re a resident of the country would solve the problem. If only.

R Veloster N

I was going to say, even when we were living in the UK and in these areas, £150K wasn't enough for a house. It will make a sizable down payment but £225K+ will get you a townhouse. Your friend is going to need to be ready to invest £275K upwards for a detached home with garage.

.....so I can finally get a Caterham.
Absolutely, stellar little sports car. We still have our eye on one and maybe someday.:)

I was going to say, even when we were living in the UK and in these areas, £150K wasn't enough for a house. It will make a sizable down payment but £225K+ will get you a townhouse. Your friend is going to need to be ready to invest £275K upwards for a detached home with garage.

Absolutely, stellar little sports car. We still have our eye on one and maybe someday.:)
He tried getting a loan for £250k with £100k down but he got rejected from everywhere. No reason was given as to why. All necessary documentation was provided each time. His real estate agent said it could be because he is not a UK citizen and with Brexit around the corner (the seemingly never ending corner) they don't want to take the risk. Anyways a loan isn't an option apparently. We found a few nice 4 bedroom houses (he plans to rent rooms out) that have decent driveways in the Wigan area. All for around 150k. One even had a pressure washer in the driveway ready for use. Needless to say he started picturing himself washing his car on the weekends.

Thank you all for your input! We'll continue searching until we find one or get a bank to approve a loan for something nicer. Will post pictures when we find his dream house! :)

_Emma

He tried getting a loan for £250k with £100k down but he got rejected from everywhere. No reason was given as to why. All necessary documentation was provided each time. His real estate agent said it could be because he is not a UK citizen and with Brexit around the corner (the seemingly never ending corner) they don't want to take the risk. Anyways a loan isn't an option apparently. We found a few nice 4 bedroom houses (he plans to rent rooms out) that have decent driveways in the Wigan area. All for around 150k. One even had a pressure washer in the driveway ready for use. Needless to say he started picturing himself washing his car on the weekends.

Thank you all for your input! We'll continue searching until we find one or get a bank to approve a loan for something nicer. Will post pictures when we find his dream house! :)
To get round this, a friend recently did shared ownership and he found he had no problems even when on contract work (granted it’s a 3 year contract). It’s a bit restrictive on where you can buy etc, but it worked for him.
ETA his house is just going through now, he gets the keys this week. Also, go through a mortgage broker they’ll find a bank that will give them a mortgage.

Last edited:

Best of good fortune, hope he finds what he's looking for.:)