• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Broken Door Handle

PC7449

Aug 3, 2020
Reading
Afternoon everyone, everywhere. I know this has come up a few times but I just wanted to check recent visits to the stealers and Warranty Cover etc.. If anyone has had the same.

So, whilst opening the front nearside door with very little effort as well they don't need it. The handle comes off and out and the plastic section drops to the floor! Clearly no damage to the outer and I would imagine either over torque on the bolt or flawed injection moulding (I presume this is how they are made) which is not great either way. Are these still being covered by Warranty, car is just over 6 months old and brand new when I got it.
Mucho thankings. 20210314_141722.jpg20210314_141758.jpg20210314_141902.jpg

Attachments

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Warranty!
They'll replace the whole handle (they have to paint it).

Personally if there is no other damage I'd just try and Araldite that sucker back together. Will probably end up stronger than a replacement handle. There is a thread somewhere explaining how to remove the door piece where somebody did exactly that.

Reactions: PC7449

PC7449

Aug 3, 2020
Reading
Warranty!
They'll replace the whole handle (they have to paint it).

Personally if there is no other damage I'd just try and Araldite that sucker back together. Will probably end up stronger than a replacement handle. There is a thread somewhere explaining how to remove the door piece where somebody did exactly that.
I did think of some exoxy and stick it back. However, I also have foggy lights and rusty tips (car related) on mine so figured they can have the whole lot to fix/sort.

Reactions: loafer-N77

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US

Dzhedaj

Nthusiast
Sep 1, 2019
Lithuania
Had the same happen to me.
The dealer agreed to order the broken piece, but would have had to go through the hassle of leaving thr car for color marthing for painting such a small piece. Didn't feel like doing that during the quarantine.

The piece that is still inside the door is easy to remove, there's a plug on the inside of the door that allows access to the bolt.

Glued it together with some epoxy glue and haven't had issues for a year so far.

Kev_G

Nthusiast
Mar 27, 2019
Chester
Yep Warranty yet some dealers will try to say its not. Did mine and the match / paint was terrible. They fitted it when wet so had finger prints etc in it. Had to wait another week for them to fix it

Dzhedaj

Nthusiast
Sep 1, 2019
Lithuania
Well it costs ~30Eur + paint, hence why the dealers may be unwilling to do this under warranty. They'd have to fund this themselves rather than claiming the amount back from Hyundai.

CrazyCraig

May 24, 2019
Oxfordshire, UK
Warranty should cover it. My front passenger side handle did the same thing, interestingly the day after I'd had the car into the dealers for a service.
Took them a couple of weeks to get the part and paint it (Performance Blue) but fitting was quick and not had a problem since.
Could clearly see that the bolt had been over tightened and caused a crack.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
For the people this hasn't happened to:

I wonder if its worth popping the protection caps of the door sides and checking/backing off the screw if its really tight. 🤔
Might give mine a look later.....

Reactions: GazmaN

GazmaN

Staff member
Nthusiast
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
For the people this hasn't happened to:

I wonder if its worth popping the protection caps of the door sides and checking/backing off the screw if its really tight. 🤔
Might give mine a look later.....
Great idea so, as one of the lucky ones, I just did. It appears that Schwarzenegger has a factory job in the Czech Republic. I can't even back 'em off. Cordless drill on charge...

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Great idea so, as one of the lucky ones, I just did. It appears that Schwarzenegger has a factory job in the Czech Republic. I can't even back 'em off. Cordless drill on charge...
Well Arnie must have had the day off when they built mine thankfully.

All four broke undone pretty easy with a 10mm ratchet/socket extension.
Just nipped them up again nicely but worth checking as obviously some are far tighter than others on these cars đź‘Ť

Reactions: GazmaN