• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Brakes Brake upgrades

epialthes

Both Winmax and Dixcel are Japanese brands. It is true that they certainly don't have the same level of global recognition, compare to Pagid (which is kinda one of global leading companies of track/racing pads industry), or some other relatively famous Japanese companies in this block, like Project Mu or Endless. Also they're not large companies, compare to Pagid or Ferodo (both are part of global automotive suppliers, Hella Pagid and Federal Mogul respectively). But their track/racing pads are okay.

The other two are Korean companies. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for them. The company behind the first brand is mainly an OE pads supplier, so it is not an extremely small company (it is bigger than EBC brakes or StopTech revenue-wise). But they don't know what they're doing when it comes to track/racing pads, since they don't have enough history in this area (unlike the Japanese brands). The latter one is relatively more focused on track/racing pads but not much better since they're very small company.

Also, has anyone else figured out exactly what vehicle the N's brakes are based off of/taken from? I can't find a definitive answer, and that might help with parts availability if we can figure out a more common vehicle that uses the same pads/rotors.
I believe that 250N uses exactly the same caliper/rotors with Kia K5(JF) GT (which is Optima 2.0T). Although I haven't seen any 250N, thus I couldn't compare them myself, but they look identical on the spec sheets(330mm/30T front rotors, ⌀60.6 piston, factory red color, etc). I think 275N uses slightly modified version of that and the pads are interchangeable to each other.

epialthes

I don't see there is much advantage using a bigger disc if you don't also use a bigger pad o_O
A bigger rotor have two advantages over a small rotor, regardless of the size of pad, which are higher braking torque (due to its increased effective radius, however effective braking torque won't be improved that much since inertia torque will be increased as well) and better heat dissipation/capacity of rotors (due to its bigger surface area).

On the contrary, a bigger pad have only one advantage over a smaller pad, which is better heat resistance on the pad side. The contact area of the pad doesn't affect the frictional force directly, since frictional force is determined by pad-rotor coefficient of kinetic friction and force applied to it (and the force is determined by your pedal input, diameter of master cylinder piston, diameter of caliper piston and the brake booster).

Also, you can't have much bigger contact area on the same sized back-plate. OE pads for Optima 2.0T may have smaller contact area, because Hyundai would have emphasized on NVH with that pad (at least compare to N pad) and adopting a tapered brake pad (thus smaller contact area) is the easiest way to achieve better NVH performance. However, it's meaningless since performance aftermarket pads built for Optima 2.0T caliper/rotor wouldn't do such thing and no one will use OE Optima pads to increase the performance.

I think you may have forgotten the fact that if the outer diameter of rotor increases, the inner diameter of rotor usually increases as well. I measured my 275N stock rotor laying around in my house, and outer radius - inner radius was measured at 61mm. I believe 250N rotors would be more or less same in this regard.

Last edited:

Mingy

Forza are releasing the 2 piece rotor along with pads very soon. They have measured up rotors and pads so its in the works.

TarmoT

I would like to keep front rotors same size they are now and reason is pretty simple - wheels and tyres for track. If I need to use 19" set after installing bigger brakes, my cost will rise to the sky. Size of oem rotors is optimal and they are good even for track usage. The only things I am missing are racing brake pads. And for street usage, I can´t see any reason for going bigger brakes - our cars does not need them.

Mingy

I would like to keep front rotors same size they are now and reason is pretty simple - wheels and tyres for track. If I need to use 19" set after installing bigger brakes, my cost will rise to the sky. Size of oem rotors is optimal and they are good even for track usage. The only things I am missing are racing brake pads. And for street usage, I can´t see any reason for going bigger brakes - our cars does not need them.
Mine need replacing already which is why i know about the development. Completed 7-8track days with the stock set up. I might do oem rotor and just upgraded pads but lets see what pricing they will do for me. The 2 piece rotor is not cheap!

jeroenvde

Ferodo replied:

Dear Jeroen,

Thanks for following up on this.

We are completing our fitment tests of the first FCP5099 samples and we would hope that we can have the first DS2500 production parts available before June this year.

Best Regards,

epialthes

I hope DS2500 works for N. I've tried the DS2500 twice on other cars but failed big time on both occasions. No problem on the street (but so does the stock pads of both cars in this respect). However, on the tracks, both longevity and performance of the pads fell way behind my expectations. On the first car, performance was about the same with stock pads and longevity was worse than stock pads. On the second car, both performance and longevity were way worse than stock pads. N is 300-350kg lighter than both car and makes 150-300 less hp, so it might be okay with DS2500. I wouldn't worry about it if it was 1.11 or Uno.