• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Brakes Brake air ducts

RuizArtigues

Jan 23, 2019
Spain
Hey there!
I was just wondering, has anyone purchased the brake air ducts listed on the tuning parts list?
It seems like a good idea to keep the brakes cooler during track or aggresive driving.

Has anyone tried them?

Peace!

Reactions: Darryl1802
Just in case someone has not seen the brake duct outlet and the air curtain outlet in the front wheel arch. Since I had the wheel off anyway. I guess they keep the brake cooling duct small to keep the air velocity high. I am certainly no expert on either of these features but I like we have them and hope they have some impact on the car. Why would they fit them if it didn't? Hardly a styling feature like all the fake vents you see on cars.
Also noted not a flocked type inner guard on the front whereas the rear wheels do have this.
:cool::)
1549773853699.jpeg

Just in case someone has not seen the brake duct outlet and the air curtain outlet in the front wheel arch. Since I had the wheel off anyway. I guess they keep the brake cooling duct small to keep the air velocity high. I am certainly no expert on either of these features but I like we have them and hope they have some impact on the car. Why would they fit them if it didn't? Hardly a styling feature like all the fake vents you see on cars.
Also noted not a flocked type inner guard on the front whereas the rear wheels do have this.
:cool::)
View attachment 5435
Nice, thanks - good to see this.

Now, get an old toothbrush and get stuck into cleaning that caliper!

Yeah. There is a stock brake cooling air guide attached to the lower arms, but they're weak for many reasons.

First off, they're tiny as you can see in this picture (51790L/51790R).
51790.jpg
This sort of air guides usually need to be much larger (especially in downward direction) in order to be effective, since the most airflow are blocked off by a bumper & inner fenders. I'm not sure about the PDEN but the grills (marked below) is not actually a grill. It's a wall with a grill pattern.
grill.jpg
So, you have to either modify your bumper or expand downward to get some airflow with this sort of air guides. However, the downward expansion greatly reduce the ground clearance (You have to buy another air guides pretty much every time you enter the tunnel car wash with one-sided conveyor, because it will be broken). This self-destructing feature is of course a big nono for car manufacturers and I believe this is the reason why they are so tiny. However, there are some aftermarket/custom options in this design.

Secondly, the brake dust covers(51755/51756) which are located between the air guides and rotors kinda block the airflow. I would guess this reduces the effectiveness of tiny air guides even further.
51755.jpg
I tried one aftermarket air guide (which is originally built for other cars, so I had to modify some bits) and it seems it works somewhat better than the stock. I didn't do any experiment in a controlled environment, but according to my cheappo IR thermometer, both rotor and caliper temp were dropped for about 5-10% compare to the stock, after the same-paced 20 minutes session on the same track (measured at different days but a similar ambient temp). Not really a great improvement.

If you want something more effective, you need to work your way up from the front bumper, like this one (991.1 GT3).
991.1GT3.jpg
However, it's kinda hard to get those kind of structures/fitment with aftermarket/custom options. So you're probably better off with silicone hose based duct. This is the type that works best anyway and applicable to any cars. Cons are, a) they're a bit fragile (often get punctures), and b) you have to modify your bumper in most cases.
hosekit.jpg