• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Bought an I30N NP

Dolbinator

Sep 15, 2019
South-East England
Hey guys, joined the forum today after just purchasing a Hyundai I30N! (Non performance) I was torn between the N and N performance, decided to save a few thousand pounds and enjoy a slightly better ride quality over the 25 extra hp, slip dif and the few other extras.

I know 99% of drivers will have opted for the performance, but just wondered if there's anybody on here who has got the 250PS N lol? So excited to pick it up in a week or so, and would love to hear what some drivers think of their car! Upgrading from a Fiesta EcoBoost with 140hp, so a big upgrade power wise!

Just a friendly hello from a new N driver on the roads, great to be apart of the N division! Hopefully Hyundai go on to do great things with these cars!

Reactions: R Veloster N
Unless I'm mistaken the non performance has the same suspension as the performance. Difference in ride should only come from having 18's instead of 19's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
So you could achieve the same result by buying 18's for a performance i30N.
Either way congrats on the purchase! Definitely a big power upgrade!

Sorry, no the i30N Performance Package has several options the base models doesn't. First off it has a better tune and active exhaust. It also has a electronically adjustable suspension and eLSD.

Sorry, no the i30N Performance Package has several options the base models doesn't. First off it has a better tune and active exhaust. It also has a electronically adjustable suspension and eLSD.
I know. I meant that you can make a performance pack N ride like a non performance by switching out the 19's for 18's :)

Reactions: R Veloster N
The ride quality is supposed to be a little bit better from what I've seen, made it a little easy to get it round the mrs than the performance lol! I wont be taking it on track so the slip dif and extra horse power didn't bother me too much, electric charis would have been nice though lol I'll be sure to report back on everything once I've broken it in! My dealership offered me such a good price I couldn't resist in the end on getting one!

Last edited:
Reactions: s.arhangelov
Welcome to the fold.

As you say, you are definitely in the minority with the non-performance version, but that does not mean it is a much lesser car. If your primary use is commuting, cruising and having occasional A/B road blast then it will live up to the standard you expect for sure.

That said, the Performance version is barely much more money and will hold value much better. Unless you are paying for it outright, a PCP's monthly difference on both cars would probably be around £50pm.

Cheers iiNEX! You're spot on with what I'll be using it for! Oh yeah the performcae for pre-sale value will be far better than the normal I30N. It was about £25,000 for the performance version, which is a steal in my opinion for the kit you're getting but a little over my budget. A local dealer offered a I30n in performance blue brand new for £21,300 and I couldn't say no, Fiesta ST3 costs about that lol! Looking forward to picking it up!

Reactions: iiNNEX
i30 N, i30 N Performance - no matter, we all appreciate what Hyundai has achieved by producing a brilliant drivers' car. The vast majority of posts on here refer to the N Performance models I reckon, so it would be interesting to hear of your experience of the N model going forward.

I'm from the era of enthusiasts who have lived with the likes of TVR, Alfa Romeo and MG idiosyncrasies - we called faults in those days 'characteristics' and just got on with enjoying the driving experience.

So my steering creaks, do I care? Not one jot!

Reactions: Dolbinator
Thanks Gazman, just had an interesting read then! Completely agree with you HYMLF, from everybody's comments they all clearly state that this is a superb drivers car! Cannot wait to get behind the wheel, sharing my thoughts with all of the other N division drivers along the way ( ;

Reactions: GazmaN
@Mr.Gobsy has one, and his own thread:

https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/gobsys-250n.2412/

If you use the search function, you can search for comments he's made about the 250 in other threads as well (plenty of good info there). Welcome, and happy reading.

The short version is that the 250N has 90% of the stuff that the Performance has, makes for a great fun daily drive and you only notice the stuff that you're missing IF you've spent time driving the Performance.

The long version is that the 250N has a slightly better ride due to the 18" wheels, the seats don't crease as quickly as the suede/Leather seats on the PP, the exhaust is always at maximum volume (with pops & bangs), The UK version comes with the rear stiffening bar whereas some EU versions do not, the insurance is comparible to the PP and the MPG is fractionally better. The 250N is also around 30KG lighter than the PP.

Where the PP tends to beat the 250N is the predicted resale value, the electric seats and the track performance which for many is a deal breaker thanks to the extra power & ELSD.

TL: DR - Drive the 250N to the Nürburgring, drive the Performance around the Nürburgring

Reactions: iiNNEX and GazmaN
Cheers for the info Mr.Gobsy!

That's exactly why I opted for the 250PS along with the fact it was around £3000 cheaper in my area. The extra power and ELSD didn't bother me to much as I'll be using it as a daily and never take it to the track. Just wanted some good old fashion fun on a B road and something practical!

The insurance on the Hyundai I30N is cheaper than my 17 plate Fiesta ST- Line!! This did make me chuckle when the quote came though. Will probably add some alloy protectors when I first get the car while I'm getting used to the size of it, alot bigger than my little two door fiesta lol!

Reactions: SS1981 and Mr.Gobsy
Cheers for the info Mr.Gobsy!

That's exactly why I opted for the 250PS along with the fact it was around £3000 cheaper in my area. The extra power and ELSD didn't bother me to much as I'll be using it as a daily and never take it to the track. Just wanted some good old fashion fun on a B road and something practical!

The insurance on the Hyundai I30N is cheaper than my 17 plate Fiesta ST- Line!! This did make me chuckle when the quote came though. Will probably add some alloy protectors when I first get the car while I'm getting used to the size of it, alot bigger than my little two door fiesta lol!
You’ll be fine with the size it ain’t a big car, and the i30 is such an easy car to get used to literally in 30 mins it will feel like you’ve had one for years in terms of familiarity that is

Quote Mr. Gobsy
I have the 250N like him and I bought it because of the price. (3500€ less than PP in Italy)
Another reason is the car tax, here in Italy after 184kW (250HP) you pay 20€ each extra kW o_O . Such a s**t
In terms of performance I don't see a lot of difference even if it has 25HP less.
You can reach the same power of PP with some dyno runs with 50kg less.
Interiors are just essential with no electric seats, heated seats or steering wheel ecc.
I don't need all of these things
On the road with 18'' rims it's more quite and it's very fun to drive in the corners.

I see mention of the I30 250n not having the electronically adjustable suspension, is that true? I know the base veloster N does have it so was curious. I've driven both versions extensively, the 25hp, bigger rotors, exhaust flap, lower profile tires I do not miss in daily use (or notice). The lsd is the thing that's noticeable and is a requirement for track use.

Last edited:
I see mention of the I30 250n not having the electronically adjustable suspension, is that true? I know the base veloster N does have it so was curious. I've driven both versions extensively, the 25hp, bigger rotors, exhaust flap, lower profile tires I do not miss in daily use (or notice). The lsd is the thing that's noticeable and is a requirement for track use.
Nope, the only things that are missing on 250N are LSD and exhaust flap.
I think the 275N is louder in N mode probably due to the exhaust flap and a different construction of the rear silencer

Nope, the only things that are missing on 250N are LSD and exhaust flap.
I think the 275N is louder in N mode probably due to the exhaust flap and a different construction of the rear silencer

The lack of exhaust flap on the 250N actually means that the exhaust is always on the "loud" setting.

The suspension setup in the UK is identical to the Performance, really the only difference between these cars are the seats, wheels, 10% more power from the engine tune and the E-LSD.

On the matter of brakes, I've had my 250N next to a Performance and the Brake rotors look identical.