• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Bad factory paint

The paint on these cars is garbage (at least the blue). I've got 5k miles on mine and the front is absolutely destroyed. I have nicks and chips all over the front from the bumper lip to the hood. Any little piece of debris that even touches my car leaves a lasting mark. It's infuriating as I wash and wax my car at least once a week. I can't stop the damage and it really makes me mad. I had a 2016 Veloster before my VN that was practically flawless after I turned it in but this car looks like I've had it for 10 years already except it's only 4 months old.
Mine is exactly the same but with the difference that my car is phantom black ......even for swirl marks! is so difficult to clean it without making some marks even using specialized tools.
The paint is very soft

I have a black performance package. I noticed about a week in with the car that there were a few "swirl" marks all over the car. I mentioned it in my feedback surgery with Hyundai. But now it has been brought to my attention there is a bit of "orange peel" paint on my passenger doors. Now that I seen it I can't unsee it and it's a bit fustrating.

Anyone notice this finish on their car? Of so what color?

Anyone experienced this before? What are the changes the dealership will take care of something like that?

When I get out of work later I'll try to get a pic of it if it's light out.
It's not bad paint. This is typical of black painted cars that have not been clay barred properly or regularly. Debris and particulates bond to the paint and when you wipe them off dry or with a car duster they come loose and make scratches and swirl marks on the clear coat surface.

Don't take your N thru carwashes with brushes or mops. Only utilize brushless carwashes. Do use waterless cleaners between washes. Make sure you clay bar the clear coat finish well. You can tell directly if particulates have bonded with the clear coat finish by; running the back or palm of your hand across the clean surface of the paint.

If it's really swirl marked badly, you'll need to take it to a good detailer who can remove them properly. It's worth the expense to get it done right. Watch and learn how it's done also. It will save your clear coat finish in the long run.

What some people call orange peel, isn't. It's simply defects in the clear coat surface. Take it to a professional detailer, not your dealer. They can do nothing for you. Yes, it will cost you some change but well worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: N Faded oD
The paint on these cars is garbage (at least the blue). I've got 5k miles on mine and the front is absolutely destroyed. I have nicks and chips all over the front from the bumper lip to the hood. Any little piece of debris that even touches my car leaves a lasting mark. It's infuriating as I wash and wax my car at least once a week. I can't stop the damage and it really makes me mad. I had a 2016 Veloster before my VN that was practically flawless after I turned it in but this car looks like I've had it for 10 years already except it's only 4 months old.

I have a Chalk White VN and mine is the exact same. My entire front end is littered with stone chips, both minor and major after only 12k km. The paint on these cars is utter garbage, but I can't say the paint on my previous car was much better (a much more expensive E90 M3 nonetheless) sadly. It seems they don't make, or at least paint them like they used to. My 1998 Stagea had much more resilient paint on it.

We've had stone chips on numerous cars and the only way to minimize it, is to use PPF by 3M or another reputable company.

We had it done the very day of pickup. We have no chips at all. It looks great and does a great job of repelling stones and it's self healing.

My car (clean slate) is too new for me to comment on stone chips but I have to say the actual paint finish seems immaculate, and I’ve gone over it very carefully since Collection.
My previous car was a Porsche Boxster in atlas grey metallic. Talk about stone chips - the front bonnet and bumper and front wings used to get shot blasted by chips. I think it was a combination of soft paint, aluminium panels and the fact that the bonnet was so low.

Paint protection Film (PPF)is the answer. I've looked at countless numbers of high dollar Porsche's ie GT2's, GT Turbos, Audi R8's etc., with chipped up front ends and all could have been avoided with the addition of PPF. It pays off also when trading in or selling outright.

I have a Chalk White VN and mine is the exact same. My entire front end is littered with stone chips, both minor and major after only 12k km. The paint on these cars is utter garbage, but I can't say the paint on my previous car was much better (a much more expensive E90 M3 nonetheless) sadly.

I just gave my car its first wash today and found at least 10 chips on the front bumper already with only 650 miles on the car. I am going to become an expert with touch up paint it looks like.

I've never been a fan of clear bras on cars but... this car has me reconsidering

Reactions: 1FastStagea
Yeah I bought a pen from the dealership. It was $20 came with a sanding stick, paint, and clearcoat. It matches pretty well just clean the tip after you're done. Also get a good light rubbing compound and some polish to clean it up.

I just gave my car its first wash today and found at least 10 chips on the front bumper already with only 650 miles on the car. I am going to become an expert with touch up paint it looks like.

I've never been a fan of clear bras on cars but... this car has me reconsidering
It will be one of the only ways to keep it from happening. You being is Las Vegas and as where I live in the Southwest, some people live on dirt roads. They pick up stones in treads and throw them as well. I'm grateful, we don't have the rust problems people have back east have.

We're on the second windshield now in 6 months with my wife's car.:rolleyes: Goes in Monday, for another replacement.:(

PPF film went on both cars as soon as they were bought. I learned my lesson a few years ago and it's done a admirable job as well. Be thankful, at least you don't live in Nye County, :p

Does anyone know the paint code for the Veloster N's black painted sideskirts? I already got my touch up paint for Performance blue but im having a hard time finding the color for the black trim.

Does anyone know the paint code for the Veloster N's black painted sideskirts? I already got my touch up paint for Performance blue but im having a hard time finding the color for the black trim.

I couldn't find any of the other color codes. When I got my blue paint I asked the dealership if they knew what red was on the bumper because it's all chipped to hell and they didn't know. So I emailed Hyundai Corporate and they said they didn't know and to ask the dealer.

That was a while ago so maybe the dealerships know now. If you find out please post it here because it's scarce info.

I couldn't find any of the other color codes. When I got my blue paint I asked the dealership if they knew what red was on the bumper because it's all chipped to hell and they didn't know. So I emailed Hyundai Corporate and they said they didn't know and to ask the dealer.

That was a while ago so maybe the dealerships know
now. If you find out please post it here because it's scarce info.

RNN I believe.

Edit: that’s the i30N.

Last edited:

That was a while ago so maybe the dealerships know now. If you find out please post it here because it's scarce info.
The red is Tsukuba I believe. It’s the same as the red used on the gen coupes a few years ago. At this time the dealers have no separate paint codes for the trim pieces.

Reactions: Mr. N
Yessir I can’t confirm this but I’ll bet money on it. Hyundai has a history of recycling colors
I wouldnt doubt it. Many manufacturers including Hyundai have been recycle their colors. Especially Toyota and their Super White II paint color. When I get the chance I’ll check with my local dealer for the red trim color and the black.

I wouldnt doubt it. Many manufacturers including Hyundai have been recycle their colors. Especially Toyota and their Super White II paint color. When I get the chance I’ll check with my local dealer for the red trim color and the black.
As a matter of fact I’m pretty sure racing red on the VN is just Tsukuba red. I think they just changed the name because nobody knew how to pronounce it lol