• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Bad experience with DTUK Box

I am probably an old fart here and coming very late to the party. But here are my «two cents».

If you are tuning the car and it breaks, blame yourself. Be a man/woman and take the hurt or cry into a pillow. Your choice.

I think it is totally wrong to hide modifications and claim warranty.

I would honestly love to tune my car, but don’t have the money to dish out if the car breaks.

My last car broke the transmission during warranty. It cost 8000 euros with parts and work. Luckily my car was all stock and it was covered by the manufacturer. I would love to see what would have happened if the car was modified....

Either be a serious and responsible tuner or just enjoy the car stock. It is plenty fast on the road and track for most of us.

I can’t see how some are willing to risk a new car for ~15-30ish hp more with a tuning box. But if you have the money for repairs, I respect it.

Don’t get me even started with insurance risk if it is not reported in and they discover after a serious accident that your car is modified...The car may be last of your worries...

Last edited:
@Mightymoo Can I ask, if your car had a remap (so properly tuned over the course of a day or 2) and your transmission broke, would you be concerned?

What I mean is, say you get the I30N remapped from a reputable tuner, declare with insurance and you’re not hiding anything etc

Then at some point over the next couple of years, the head gasket fails for example. Would you be concerned that the remap would make the dealer look unfavourably at the situation?

I’m just asking and it’s really open to anyone to be honest. I’ve never had a car remapped and certainly not one still covered by a manufacturers warranty ....

Hi Crocoman

Any modification to the drivetrain can get you in trouble with the manufacturer.

E.g if your suspension breaks, they can blame the remap. More strain and force on your cars parts with more hp. Basically ANY part of the car that is related to car road handling may be denied, if you are unlucky.

Unrelated things like a broken seat or defect door lock would of course get warranty.

I don’t have anything against people modifying cars, but understand that you are taking a big risk regarding the warranty.

Happy driving!

Agree 100%!

All the owner has to do is take responsibility/financial responsibility for the modifications and not blame it on Hyundai or a tuner. No tuner, is going to give you any kind of guarantee either!

However, a really excellent tune in and itself can be a plus, if they don't mess around with the built in safety parameters. It's like doctors and pro football players; tuners are a dime a dozen but a really good one is hard to find and trust.

However, I've already been down this road with Hyundai and a Hyundai Service Manager, who just came from Mercedes Benz. To directly quote, "It's a big no go and they will axe your warranty all together." Didn't argue the point, as the Magnuson-Moss Act, will assist in issue like this. There's a big caveat along with this Act though; Proof is easier on Hyundai's side of the issue, than yours.

Yes, you'll have to hire an attorney, to deal with Hyundai and fight it in a court of law. So, you'll have a burden of proof to refute their expert testimony, along with the all the cost. Hyundai will have to prove without a shadow of doubt, the tune caused the damage or was part of the problem to begin with. In the mean time your car isn't going to get fixed by Hyundai or the dealer, it will just be setting during this time. It could be months or a year/s, depending upon the courts.

In such a case, it can be very expensive, especially if you lose. Most certainly as expensive or a great deal more, then just taking financial responsibility to replace the engine on your own. If you got the money, go for it. However, I wager there isn't many here, who have that kind of free cash laying around for such an issue.;)

Nothing is guaranteed, when you start down this road and certainly not the car! It's best to take responsibility up front and deal with it direct.

Last edited:
I always fettled and modded older cars I've owned in the past when I was a younger man, cars costing 3-5k, no risk really was it.

As an older, wiser and slightly richer man, it would be very unwise of me to start modding my brand new fastback Np that I just recently bought with hard earned cash, not leased, pcp or hire purchase.

I like to keep a clear conscience and keep my 5 year warranty intact for what it's worth, (I hope Hyundai honour any claim I may make) maybe I'll be lucky and not put myself through any stress with the dealership . . .

Yes mod away, but have some integrity.

"Integrity means following your moral or ethical convictions and doing the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is watching you. Having integrity means you are true to yourself and would do nothing that demeans or dishonors you".

Tuning boxes in my opinion are bad news more BHP at the risk of the engine fatigue Hyundai have turned this car to what they consider acceptable tolerances and if they could have eked more BHP out of the car they would have, forgive my ignorance here but does the Tune Box not give more BHP thus making the engine run on settings it was never designed to do safely. I’m not bashing the OP as I was thinking of doing the same with my car so considered installing a tune box hoping to gain 30 more horses but with little or no mechanical knowledge my brother in law is a mechanic and his advice was to stay away from Tune Boxes.

Can the OP state if Hyundai would still warrant the car in the event they found out that a Tune Box was fitted as I am sure somewhere in the settings when Hyundai would run diagnostics would they not see the engine was over performing in a way in which it should not does the brain not keep such detailed telemetry.

If I want more BHP then I would buy a Ford Focus RS with + Mountune Tuning to 380 BHP now that would run rings round the Hyundai I 30 N Performance and leave it in the dust no competition on a straight road or any road for that matter the RS it would eat it up and spit it out.

I instead purchased the Hyundai I30 N Performance for three very real reasons (1) Price & (2) Ride & handling and (3) The Wife as I sat in an RS and it definitely was not a comfy ride putting all that aside if you want more than what the I30 N Performance 275 will give you I would definitely change to another car as you seem to be not happy with the standard 275HP instead of trying to make his current car do something which it was never designed to do and compete with the Type R’s and the RS’s of this world which the Hyundai I30 N Performance will never be able to compete and that is very evident watching You Tube videos.

Reading your post I do feel for you and I will definitely not be installing any tuning box into my car after reading this post I am glad I held off buying a Tune Box. I did read somewhere that some Tune Boxes give 8000 miles warranty but then that would null and void Hyundai’s warranty.

Clarkey1996 do post back on how you get on hope you get her sorted all the best.

I used to own a Focus RS (and yes I tuned it with Mountune M380 pack) and I can assure you that on general UK crappy roads/traffic the difference is not as big as people might think, even with 100bhp more than the N (on paper, the RS never felt 380ps quick at all)!
In fact it was a better car standard. But a little extra 'shove' never hurt anyone ;) so people jumping in waving their fingers about people modding their cars is a bit rich imho.

There is only so much power you can use though......

.......anyway back on topic.

Reactions: simmo777
"the Tune Box not give more BHP thus making the engine run on settings it was never designed to do safely. "
"If I want more BHP then I would buy a Ford Focus RS with + Mountune Tuning to 380 BHP now that would run rings round the Hyundai I 30 N Performance and leave it in the dust no competition on a straight road or any road for that matter the RS it would eat it up and spit it out. "
I don´t understand you - first you are writing that tuning is not good for engine because it was not designed for having more power and next you are writing that if... you would buy Focus RS with Mountune TUNING ???
Why do you think that Ford produced his Ecoboost engine with tuning potential and Hyundai didn´t?
Another argument you wrote about 380bhp Mountune (tuned) Focus RS will run rings around i30n during any speeds is not true at all.
I am a person who has both of those cars and stock i30n PP is petty much equal with stock RS after 50km/h during any acceleration runs. Do not forget that Focus RS is aronund 200kg-s more heavy than Hyundai and it has more transmission loss than FWD Hyundai.

"the Tune Box not give more BHP thus making the engine run on settings it was never designed to do safely. "
"If I want more BHP then I would buy a Ford Focus RS with + Mountune Tuning to 380 BHP now that would run rings round the Hyundai I 30 N Performance and leave it in the dust no competition on a straight road or any road for that matter the RS it would eat it up and spit it out. "
I don´t understand you - first you are writing that tuning is not good for engine because it was not designed for having more power and next you are writing that if... you would buy Focus RS with Mountune TUNING ???
Why do you think that Ford produced his Ecoboost engine with tuning potential and Hyundai didn´t?
Another argument you wrote about 380bhp Mountune (tuned) Focus RS will run rings around i30n during any speeds is not true at all.
I am a person who has both of those cars and stock i30n PP is petty much equal with stock RS after 50km/h during any acceleration runs. Do not forget that Focus RS is aronund 200kg-s more heavy than Hyundai and it has more transmission loss than FWD Hyundai.
Take a chill pill buddynot worth the hassle i'm not interested.

My DTUK box is long gone now and I feel better for doing it. The car is plenty quick without it and I think has ‘loosened’ up over the past 10000 miles or so.

I think my experience with tuning boxes (3 boxes over the course of 2 turbo petrol cars) is generally good, however perhaps not best suited to new cars where warranty could be compromised.

I’m glad I have some experience behind me as knowledge is power as they say.

My DTUK box is long gone now and I feel better for doing it. The car is plenty quick without it and I think has ‘loosened’ up over the past 10000 miles or so.

I think my experience with tuning boxes (3 boxes over the course of 2 turbo petrol cars) is generally good, however perhaps not best suited to new cars where warranty could be compromised.

I am glad to hear you have thought differently regarding the Tuning box. Enjoy your car the way the manufacturer has designed the car and cherish those 5 years warranty my car needed a new ECU costly to replace if paying for it but all free under Hyundai warranty. I think you have made the best decision of your life.

I’m glad I have some experience behind me as knowledge is power as they say.

Follow the link below this guy explains it beautifully in a way I never could so maybe a remap of the ECU would be a better proposition. I have already e mailed them to ask what are the benefits how much and can it be done to our cars and at what cost.

Reactions: Crocoman
Follow the link below this guy explains it beautifully in a way I never could so maybe a remap of the ECU would be a better proposition. I have already e mailed them to ask what are the benefits how much and can it be done to our cars and at what cost.

They have nothing for the i30N or Veloster N. In fact, they have nothing for most late model autos. Keeping in mind, tampering with the ECU will put your factory OEM warranty in jeopardy as well. If you can afford it, go for it. If you can't, think twice as there is a flash counter installed in the ECU.

Last edited:
I have a DTUK tuning box fitted and then I got a puncture and cracked windscreen in the same week!

I removed the tuning box after getting both repaired and it hasn’t happened since. Based on the OP’s comments I feel I’m so justified in saying it was the fault of the tuning box or I’m talking utter b*ll*x like him.