• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Automatic Lights Sensitivity

IamRy

Jan 6, 2019
SW UK
I don't believe anyone has asked this question before, but is there a way to adjust the point at which the auto headlights switch on? While driving at dusk it has to get really quite dark before the lights switch on by themselves. Several times now I've waited and waited until every car I see coming the other way has their lights on and still nothing from the i30N. The do come on eventually but it kinda defeats the purpose of the auto function if you always have to do it manually.

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
I don't believe anyone has asked this question before, but is there a way to adjust the point at which the auto headlights switch on? While driving at dusk it has to get really quite dark before the lights switch on by themselves. Several times now I've waited and waited until every car I see coming the other way has their lights on and still nothing from the i30N. The do come on eventually but it kinda defeats the purpose of the auto function if you always have to do it manually.
I think it should be changable if you have the right OBD coding tools but no guarantee on that.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
It is annoying and something I noticed straight away, the helpful response I got on here was basically "Whats your problem? Just switch the stalk up and turn them on yourself". :D

I agree with you that you shouldn't need to do that, I was thinking about putting a small square of headlight tint film over the sensor and see if that helps them come on quicker?!

GazmaN

Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
It is annoying and something I noticed straight away, the helpful response I got on here was basically "Whats your problem? Just switch the stalk up and turn them on yourself". :D

I agree with you that you shouldn't need to do that, I was thinking about putting a small square of headlight tint film over the sensor and see if that helps them come on quicker?!
Like your thinking here, simple and worth a crack.

Reactions: loafer-N77

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
That is the one thing that annoys me about this car, comming from a Skoda Vrs where I could adjust the sensitivity of the sensor.
Looking around at other Kia's and Hyundai's they all seem to have the same problem. All the cars allready have their lights on, except the Hyundai's and Kia's.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Any joy using the film?
It was almost impossibe to apply neatly due to the sensor location (unless you have the windscreen removed, didn't fancy that :p ) and looked obvious/terrible.

Mission aborted!!

Removing the sensor completely to apply the film off the car was also impossible due to its location and windscreen inhibiting my clumpy hands/lack of leverage.

(Weirdly I'm positive the auto lights seem to be more sensitive than they were a few months back......o_O)

Reactions: GazmaN

densil101

Sep 14, 2018
UK
It was almost impossibe to apply neatly due to the sensor location (unless you have the windscreen removed, didn't fancy that :p ) and looked obvious/terrible.

Mission aborted!!

(Weirdly I'm positive the auto lights seem to be more sensitive than they were a few months back......o_O)
Maybe it would be possible to tint the screen just at the sensor, doable?

IamRy

Jan 6, 2019
SW UK

Mission aborted!!

Removing the sensor completely to apply the film off the car was also impossible due to its location and windscreen inhibiting my clumpy hands/lack of leverage.

The sensor is the one in the middle of the dash isn't it ( where the alarm LED is) - that's what the manual seems to suggest?

Weird that you mention about them being more sensitive but I have noticed the same thing. I know objectively that they are because when I drive under an archway by my house they activate whereas before they wouldn't even at dusk. Maybe they applied a software update / reset during the alarm visits.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
The sensor is the one in the middle of the dash isn't it ( where the alarm LED is) - that's what the manual seems to suggest?.
Yes, middle of dash right tight up near the windscreen and it incorporates a "security" LED (nothing to do with alarm, just a dummy flashing light to show car has been locked).

9797311.gif.png

Jan 22, 2019
England
Be nice if they also auto activated during heavy rain so I don’t have to manually switch them over. Every other car I’ve had with auto wipers and lights used to do this.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Be nice if they also auto activated during heavy rain so I don’t have to manually switch them over. Every other car I’ve had with auto wipers and lights used to do this.
Agreed, its a safety feature in my opinion and my Golf had a setting you could toggle lights auto on/off when auto wipers activated.

silverex

Jan 22, 2020
Sydney Australia
I don't have wipers or lights set to 'Auto' at all. I'd prefer to switch them off and on when I think it's required. Having headlights turn on and off every time I drive under a bridge or overpass would be annoying. I see it happen on other cars.

In saying that, at night time I generally just switch the lights to 'Auto' anyway then turn them off once I've arrived at my destination.

One think I have noticed is that there must be 2 separate light level sensors - one for the headlights and a separate one for the dashboard dials and audio/navigation screen, as these seem to dim/turn off independently to each other

Semir333

Aug 18, 2018
Hungary
I think it should be changable if you have the right OBD coding tools but no guarantee on that.
Nope, Hyundai GDS not have any function for this, only reset the module. I think only factory system configurator, or development softwares can change the values of the sensor.