• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Audio Quality

VeloStarN

Apr 28, 2019
Canada
I am very content with most of the audio quality from the N. The lows from the subs are thic and beautiful. Mids are decent. However I have noticed almost like a clipping in the highs. Quality sounds good 90% of the time except the tweeter intermitintly clip... or something. Happens most noticably around 25-35 volume. Anyone else?

I am very content with most of the audio quality from the N. The lows from the subs are thic and beautiful. Mids are decent. However I have noticed almost like a clipping in the highs. Quality sounds good 90% of the time except the tweeter intermitintly clip... or something. Happens most noticably around 25-35 volume. Anyone else?
100% agree with everything you said and yes ! I was under the assumption that I had blown them but you may be on to something here

I've not noticed that but maybe dependent on settings? I run mid/treb at 0 and bass between -2 and +1 so there may be some tweeter protection circuit if you're running them too hot.

Reactions: VeloStarN
100% agree with everything you said and yes ! I was under the assumption that I had blown them but you may be on to something here

Okay sweet, Im glad Im not the only one! I hope more people chime in too!

I've not noticed that but maybe dependent on settings? I run mid/treb at 0 and bass between -2 and +1 so there may be some tweeter protection circuit if you're running them too hot.

And I Did try everything as far as EQ. And generally I keep it flat at 0 for everything. Im going to try upgrading my USB cord but it does it over bluetooth aswell. I almost think it is the way the head unit converts the data and amplifies. But Ive used tons of Infinity equipment in the past and it solid stuff?

Reactions: wisdotVN
I noticed something sounded 'off' too the first time I streamed something via Bluetooth. Like the DAC wasn't handling the high frequencies well. Though I listen to a lot of electronic music and my theory is that some synthesized notes just don't jive with the unit well. Plugging in with Aux cable yields a noticeable improvement.

BT = compression *will* be involved. Hence poorer sound quality compared to cable.

Maybe I should have been clearer, I think this BT receiver/DAC in the VN is worse than normal BT. I have a standalone external BT receiver in my home setup, no noticeable difference between that and other audio sources. Heck my double din Pioneer in the wrx is better than the HV. Source files are either Tidal or personal FLAC files ripped from CDs using EAC.

You bring up a valid point that it *may compress it, but it doesn't have to. I think the HV struggles more than it should for BT, then again audio quality is often in the eye of the beholder and hottly debated. In any case analog cables for the win!

https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-about-bluetooth-3134591

Reactions: Davo01
Maybe I should have been clearer, I think this BT receiver/DAC in the VN is worse than normal BT. I have a standalone external BT receiver in my home setup, no noticeable difference between that and other audio sources. Heck my double din Pioneer in the wrx is better than the HV. Source files are either Tidal or personal FLAC files ripped from CDs using EAC.

You bring up a valid point that it *may compress it, but it doesn't have to. I think the HV struggles more than it should for BT, then again audio quality is often in the eye of the beholder and hottly debated. In any case analog cables for the win!

https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-about-bluetooth-3134591

I agree - virtually no difference in sound on my 2 Honda’s between cable and BT. Those cars also support “Siri” control of the phone, but the N doesn’t - telling: low bandwidth is my guess.

Though I listen to a lot of electronic music and my theory is that some synthesized notes just don't jive with the unit well.

I listen to a lot of music from mixcloud via Android Auto and do not have any sound quality issues

Same here regarding the high notes. Could be much more “powerful” in the base end though.

Hang on: this is the Veloster and BeNNN have i30Ns. Could be different then.

Reactions: VeloStarN
Could be different then.

Probably not. The high notes are a bit shit but I adjusted my eq as per a suggestion on here somewhere and love it. House, DnB, Techno all sound great,

Probably not. The high notes are a bit shit but I adjusted my eq as per a suggestion on here somewhere and love it. House, DnB, Techno all sound great,

Same here: bass +9, highs -4 or so?

Still lacks the base punch in the chest of my mates new Mazda 3 with the Bose system. Then again the N has so many other punches it’s just no comparison ;-)

Same here regarding the high notes. Could be much more “powerful” in the base end though.

Hang on: this is the Veloster and BeNNN have i30Ns. Could be different then.
Correct, we have a little bit different setup in the VN and It's quite good. (Eight-speaker Infinity audio system w/ Subwoofer) Maybe not ideal for an Audiophile but nevertheless quite good.

We also have Siri control on the VN, just no navigation. This can be accomplished thru Carplay, Google Maps, or other similar apps etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo01