• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Anyone Like Mountain Biking?

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Got a new Specialized Mountain Bike. It's been wearing me out! Averaging 16+ miles a day so far. Spend roughly, + or - two hours per day on it. Racketed up over 200 miles since I got it last week.

IMG_1244.jpeg
My arse was so sore with the original seat, (like setting on a hard banana to the left on the table) I had to go for an upgraded wider Gel Seat and a gel cushion, you see in the photo. Seat height is adjustable pneumatically s a great!

I like walking mountain trails and pathways up to 8 miles per day but my feet were killing me the rest of the day. High altitude walking on really narrow paths can take it out of you quickly, especially in our heat and lack of humidity. Have to carry 2 liters of water each trip.

Anyway share if you decide too. Just another off-topic discussion.

Last edited:
Have the pizza and bike also!

I'm too old to be racing anymore. I do it, just to keep in shape, along with the walking.

We've got such great mountain trails, I can literally bike for days and not see anyone. Anywhere from 5000 ft elevation to over 11K around us. If I go further north 12-14K elevations.

I do a bit of cycling to keep fit, but I have got into jogging recently, I feel it give me a good cardio workout.

I'm 58 years young and have coronary artery disease, ct scan diagnosis last Christmas so I have had to start looking after myself, no booze, healthy eating the whole works.

Ironically my brother 59, died from a heart attack back in January, it's a ticking time bomb ischemic heart disease ie. furring up of the arteries from eating cholesterol butties as a kid.

I used to lift weights at lot when younger and built like a brick shit-house but over the years it kinda turned to fat, I let myself go as the years past, but now feeling good, lost 4 stone, the fitness regime as become my routine again now and feel bad if I don't go for a run.

By the way your house/crib looks nice

Good on you Mark!

Thank you! It's a nice little house. I've got "zero "use for a big one. I like real wood accents. So....

We decided three years ago, to down size into a 1700 sq. ft. home but everything in the house is solid wood trim and doors, double glazed windows and insulated very well. It's a new house, so I won't have to spend a great deal of money over the next two decades hopefully.

Blood Pressure 118/69, Pulse 54 bps. Wrestled and swam competitively, among other physical service related requirements. Really got back into walking, swimming and riding over the past 6 years or so. I hope I can keep it up. I'm very grateful as well.

The altitude helps quite a bit. I haven't been below 5.5K in 10 years. Kind of curious to see how I'll feel, when I do.:)

We like the mountains a lot and here I hope we'll live, until we move on.:)

Nice house, nice cars but as you know mean nothing if you haven't got your health.

Your house style is right up my street, your blood pressure looks very good.

Reactions: R Veloster N
This is truth. I wish you well! None of it means anything, we can't take it with us, Mark. We are all just sojourners, realistically speaking.:)

Last edited:
I too have a Specialized MTB after killing my entry level model on 4WD tracks. I've recently been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis however and the doc says no bike so it's back to running only - gutted :(.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Did another 18 miles on trails and dirt roads today. Tired but feel pretty good. The 81 year old man I ride with sometimes, puts it on me with his road bike but I got him on the trails today.

I thought it was because, I wasn't in good enough shape when we were on the road.:eek: Ends up being his road bike tyres @ 95 psi have way less rolling mass. :p His fat-bike tyres, produce way more rolling mass to overcome. For me, the plus tires are a good compromise for both the road and trails.

Got into some sand in the arroyos and it did way better, then I thought it would. Even better than the Fat Bike he rode. Got out ahead and kept there. I'd stop and wait for him, if I got too far ahead. :)Don't what to leave him, if he needs help. This is why we ride together in the first place.

It's a blast though, he's got way more stamina than most 60+ men I know. Nice to have another rider along side as well. We can go as much as 100+ miles without seeing anyone. We're between two Native American Reservations.

I told him no more by himself, when he wanted to ride the trails. Last time he fell into a Cholla Cactus and got tore up pretty bad 12 miles from home. So, no more by himself on the trails.:)
1280px-Opuntia_fulgida_1_-_Desert_Botanical_Garden.jpg
I'll have to take some photos to share with you all. Being in the high desert over 6K feet, is a sight to see.

Lungs are starting to open up and I've got way more stamina. Like I did when I wrestled and swam competitively.

Picked up a "goat head ' in the tyre, had to change tubes. We are inundated with them.:mad: Soon as theses tyres are gone, it's tubeless with stop leak goop!;) That will take care of these little bastards! Generally, you can bust over them but every once in a while you'll get one that will penetrate the tyre carcass and get the tube.:mad: Don't fall in them either, they penetrate and stick to you like thorns. Hell to get off clothing or hair.
800px-Acanthospermum_hispidum_seeds.jpgNext up will be some 10K + altitude trails. Looking forwards to these. Real test of grit, cause everything is up hill.:eek::p

Last edited:
you might just go ahead and change the subject to something health related ;)
rediscovering cycling for myself now. swapped train commute for a bicycle one almost two months ago. what a difference since the start, especially going up the hills. before muscles would be burning like crazy after a climb, now, only a little afterburn and off I go to the destination.

the views must be awesome, so enjoy those whilst mixing it with a nice bit of exercising ;)

About 2 yrs ago i tried to do some MBKing in a local national park called the Cannock Chase in the UK , as I only live a few miles away.

However, i saw a documentary about a murder case in the 70s where kids were killed and buried in the woods, and after researching it a bit ( i am here because of my job, so i am not local), local people said these 2 girls' spirit often appear. Witnesses said they have no eyes, just a souless, dark gaps in the faces.

Therefore, i have not been there ever since.

Reactions: SS1981
Well, I'm well past 400+ miles now. My arse is feeling a whole lot better with the new gel seat and I'm using mid-gearing now, for almost every hill if not lower. Lungs and legs are no longer burning as much, except when I use the lowest gear on long hills. Off the seat and up I go!:)

It's way better than foot logging 8 miles a day and takes a lot less time as well. Two hours of riding is near 25 miles on tough long uphills and fast downhills. I don't have very many flats to ride on, unless I take the roads, which is a bit dangerous with people just not paying attention. Even they're not that flat either.

I didn't think I'd like it everyday but it grows on you. The cardio is great!:D