• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Any Hyundai GDI development to prevent carbon and sludge deposits on inlet valves?

Paolo5

Nthusiast
Dec 28, 2020
Australia
I have read that Toyoya has developed a combination of port injection and GDI to avoid deposits of carbon and sludge on some of their engines.
I have tried to find out if modern Hyundai engines still suffer from this malady.

Has Hyundai made any developments in this area?

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
Since the current N platform (current i30N, VN as well as the Facelifts) is not using a modern engine platform (Theta II) so to say, carbon build up is still an issue. If you are talking about future developments, e.g. Theta III, I have not heard of any news from this platform tbh.

Reactions: Paolo5 and GazmaN

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
BG GDI Service at regular intervals will remove the deposits. The next smart stream engine, is suppose to deal with the GDI issue with both GDI and port injection, as I understand.

Paolo5

Nthusiast
Dec 28, 2020
Australia
BG GDI Service at regular intervals will remove the deposits. The next smart stream engine, is suppose to deal with the GDI issue with both GDI and port injection, as I understand.

I hope to be getting an i20N when they are released.
It has been reported to have the TGDI Gamma II engine. I seem to recall reading that in this engine, the location of the injector in each cylinder has been positioned to spray a fuel mist slightly over the inlet valve, which will end up covering the entire surface of the valve as it rotates under use..... and so sidestep the sludge/carbon build-up fiasco....but I don't know if this article was factual. Hope so!

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
You're welcome. Keep in mind the BG GDI service guidelines. Their participating service centers and dealerships all over the world and have participating shop and dealerships most likely near you.

Reactions: Paolo5

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Yes! I'll use it with the VN and have utilized in other GDI's. Approximate cost will be $225 -$250 but worth every penny. They recommend 15,000 miles (25,000 km). However if you're utilizing top tier fuel, aren't running the car in stop and go traffic regularly, making a lot of short trips and changing your oil frequently, it can be extended to 20-25K miles between services.

It works just as advertised. It removes all the carbon deposits off the intake valves, back of the TB, Intake Tube, fuel rail and injectors. Regular use of their fuel treatment, will help keep exhaust valves, and complete fuel system clean. :)

There are also fuel and oil treatments like Cerma, which will help to stop carbon from sticking on the intake valves. They have a full range of excellent products to include synthetic oil.

Happy New Year

Paolo5

Nthusiast
Dec 28, 2020
Australia
Yes! I'll use it with the VN and have utilized in other GDI's. Approximate cost will be $225 -$250 but worth every penny. They recommend 15,000 miles (25,000 km). However if you're utilizing top tier fuel, aren't running the car in stop and go traffic regularly, making a lot of short trips and changing your oil frequently, it can be extended to 20-25K miles between services.

It works just as advertised. It removes all the carbon deposits off the intake valves, back of the TB, Intake Tube, fuel rail and injectors. Regular use of their fuel treatment, will help keep exhaust valves, and complete fuel system clean. :)

There are also fuel and oil treatments like Cerma, which will help to stop carbon from sticking on the intake valves. They have a full range of excellent products to include synthetic oil.

Happy New Year
Many thanks!
And a Happy New Year to you too!

P.S. Did you get that Forge CC/Coolant reservoir fitted?

Reactions: R Veloster N

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Oh absolutely, look here;
Anything that you believe I've missed or question I haven't answered, please inquire directly in the thread or by PM.

Took a little development R & D but is an outstanding and kit!!:)👍

Finishing up the VN
oil cooler also. Shipping it off shortly to them for the finish work and production.

literally_nobody

Dec 23, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
The i20N has the updated 1.6T Gamma II engine. The Gamma II is a GDI engine a full GDI engine.

The smartstream engine isn't slated to be release model wide until 2021 or possible 2022.
A detail i noticed from a promo video for the i20N (
) at 7:30 there's a shot of the engine cover which has 'Smartstream G' on it. Not sure if this means anything....

Reactions: Paolo5 and Bu11eT

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
It's a smartstream valve cover for sure.
The Smartstream G1.6 T-GDI[13] is a newer iteration of the 1.6 Gamma T-GDI (G4FJ) engine. It is a 1,598 cc (97.5 cu in) turbocharged inline 4-cylinder engine with GDi that carries a bore and stroke of 75.6 mm and 89 mm respectively and a 10.5:1 compression ratio. This is the world's first production engine to use Continuously Variable Valve Duration (CVVD) technology, allowing it to adjust how long its intake valves remain open independently of timing and lift. Hyundai claims a 4% increase in performance, 5% increase in efficiency, and a 12% decrease in tailpipe emissions due to this technology.[14]