• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

After the P Zeros have gone..

Stash-N

Nthusiast
May 24, 2018
Adelaide Australia
After 3 and a bit months and 4000kms on the Pirelli PZeros.
Fronts are only down to 5.1 - 5.5mm across the tyres. Rears are 6.1 - 6.5mm across the tyres. Checked at three points across the tyre face and at two locations on the circumference. Pressures are kept at (F) 260kpa and (R) 240kpa. Car has not seen a track and is my daily driver and weekend pleasure. Several 200 - 300 km Sunday drives with plenty of 80-100km sections.
I am not unhappy with this wear at this early stage. Given I have not really beaten the tyres up by any stretch of the imagination.
I decided to do a tyre rotation also to spread out the wear rates. :cool::)

1549773432549.jpeg

GazmaN

Staff member
Nthusiast
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
After 3 and a bit months and 4000kms on the Pirelli PZeros.
Fronts are only down to 5.1 - 5.5mm across the tyres. Rears are 6.1 - 6.5mm across the tyres. Checked at three points across the tyre face and at two locations on the circumference. Pressures are kept at (F) 260kpa and (R) 240kpa. Car has not seen a track and is my daily driver and weekend pleasure. Several 200 - 300 km Sunday drives with plenty of 80-100km sections.
I am not unhappy with this wear at this early stage. Given I have not really beaten the tyres up by any stretch of the imagination.
I decided to do a tyre rotation also to spread out the wear rates. :cool::)

View attachment 5434
Thanks for this. Do you think you'll replace with the same when they're done? She looks mint too btw ;).

Stash-N

Nthusiast
May 24, 2018
Adelaide Australia
Thanks for this. Do you think you'll replace with the same when they're done? She looks mint too btw ;).
Replacing the tyres with PZeros again will depend on how they eventually end up in terms of wear rates. I am just doing what I can to get the most kilometres from the tyres currently. I will be watching the forum to see what our members choose and use with regard to tyres. I have no complaints with the Pirellis at this point.
I am lucky I have a garage for the car and enjoy keeping the car clean too. :cool::)

Reactions: GazmaN

kobrien

Apr 1, 2020
Perth
Interested if anybody has tried cheaper alternatives to the P Zero they are happy with. My thinking is that they may probably last as long and wont hurt as much if I have to replace yearly.

Reactions: GazmaN

GazmaN

Staff member
Nthusiast
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
Interested if anybody has tried cheaper alternatives to the P Zero they are happy with. My thinking is that they may probably last as long and wont hurt as much if I have to replace yearly.
Only other N owner up here that I know personally put on Falken FK 510 245/35/19s and I have had a steer of his car in both wet and dry conditions. Definitely a better wet weather tyre and still more than capable in the dry. And soooo much quieter than the Pirellis. Given my track days are over this is what I shall be fitting before the end of the year as my Zeros are nearing the end of their service life. And it rains here for 6 months of the year so it makes sense. He had all four fitted and balanced for just under $1K.

kobrien

Apr 1, 2020
Perth
Only other N owner up here that I know personally put on Falken FK 510 245/35/19s and I have had a steer of his car in both wet and dry conditions. Definitely a better wet weather tyre and still more than capable in the dry. And soooo much quieter than the Pirellis. Given my track days are over this is what I shall be fitting before the end of the year as my Zeros are nearing the end of their service life. And it rains here for 6 months of the year so it makes sense. He had all four fitted and balanced for just under $1K.
I was having a look at the Wheels 2020 tyre tests and the Hifly tyres beat some of the continental and Toyo in the wet performance tests. The only thing they performed badly in was the slalom. Seeing as we drive these things hard and tyres dont last long, could this be an alternative at $125 fitted and balanced???

GazmaN

Staff member
Nthusiast
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
I was having a look at the Wheels 2020 tyre tests and the Hifly tyres beat some of the continental and Toyo in the wet performance tests. The only thing they performed badly in was the slalom. Seeing as we drive these things hard and tyres dont last long, could this be an alternative at $125 fitted and balanced???
Honestly mate, I would not touch them with a barge pole. The Wheels tyre test was all about non-performance tyres on a SUV. Lets look at their performance tyres on a performance vehicle:

The Hifly is that cheap for a reason.

Reactions: Type122

Type122

May 23, 2021
Australia
Sound advice IMO! Will never cheap out on tyres. Not on anything, and certainly never on a performance car.

A bit like the old “if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel” line to me… 98 octane and PS4S / CSC6 / P-Zeros or else what’s the point of a hot hatch?

BraT81

Nthusiast
Jun 14, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I moved to an 18" wheel first i tried the what is regarded as the BEST tyre to get, that being Michelin PS4.

While i enjoyed the grip that that PS4's offered, they just felt dull and kinda boring at turn in, never really knew what the tyres were doing until you started understeering.

I have now replaced the PS4'swith GoodYear Eagle F1 AS5, it's a world of difference just street driving, turn-in response is night and day difference.

Wet grip isn't quite as good as what the PS4's offered, but feel it's a fair trade off.
Yet to take these tyres for a spirited drive through the mountains to compare, but so far i'm liking them.

Reactions: Hugh_85 and GazmaN