• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Interior Adjustable seat belt retractor plastic cover rattle / noise from B-pillar

NB4L1

Jul 12, 2019
Hungary
Mea culpa if this has been mentioned already, but I couldn't find it.

So my problem is that when I'm on just a slightly bumpy road - which matches many streets around already - even in Normal mode, I can hear a rattle coming from my B-pillar from the seat belt retractor (see attached image).

If I try to move it without releasing the lock I can feel some wiggle. IMO that is what I'm hearing moving around on bumpier roads.

Is this normal/the same for everybody, or do I have a specific issue?

bpillar.jpg

Reactions: Bu11eT

NB4L1

Jul 12, 2019
Hungary
I would say rather plastic, but I might be wrong. Hard to be exact because when this happens, everything that produces any noise also does :) ... but the manual wiggle seems close to it.

NB4L1

Jul 12, 2019
Hungary
One more thing. When I try to pull/slacken the seat belt itself I can't produce any sound. So that is why I'm inclined to believe it doesn't come from the actual mechanical part of it, just the plastic cover.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Have you set it to the highest position?
Mine does make a noise if not set as high as it goes. Which doesn't bother me as I like it at the highest setting anyway.

Reactions: R Veloster N

NB4L1

Jul 12, 2019
Hungary
Have you set it to the highest position?
Mine does make a noise if not set as high as it goes. Which doesn't bother me as I like it at the highest setting anyway.
I tried highest, lowest and somewhere in the middle. No real difference :/

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
To fix such rattles between plastic, sometimes all it takes is a bit of warmth from a heat gun and gentle movement with some interior plastic tools to disengage the plastic panels which are causing the rattles.

If it's metal, then it's possibly be the belt guide anchor bolt is slightly loose and needs securing.

Reactions: NB4L1

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
This is a common thing with Hyundai’s. My Elantra sport, Veloster Turbo and VN all had this same noise. It was always on my to do list but never got around to actually tracking it down

NB4L1

Jul 12, 2019
Hungary
This is a common thing with Hyundai’s. My Elantra sport, Veloster Turbo and VN all had this same noise. It was always on my to do list but never got around to actually tracking it down
I'm glad I'm not alone, but this also means there might be no easy/official solution. Anyway if I don't get to it on my own as suggested above I will add this to my TODO list for the next service appointment.

ps.: So many modells affected. Here comes the build quality difference represented in prices compared to "premium" brands?

stratos78

Aug 28, 2019
Athens
I’am hearing the same noise! I think it’s the lock that is moving, because if you touch it with the finger repeatedly, without pressing it hard to release the seat belt retractor, you can hear the noise.. because I want to be sure before going to hyundai I’am thinking to block it with a small piece of paper to see if the rattle is instisting..

NB4L1

Jul 12, 2019
Hungary
I’am hearing the same noise! I think it’s the lock that is moving, because if you touch it with the finger repeatedly, without pressing it hard to release the seat belt retractor, you can hear the noise.. because I want to be sure before going to hyundai I’am thinking to block it with a small piece of paper to see if the rattle is instisting..
The cover of the lock, or the lock itself?

stratos78

Aug 28, 2019
Athens
The cover of the lock I think.. that’s why I want to block the cover of the lock with a small piece of paper to see if the rattle is from there..

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Just keep in mind, there are going to be rattles and noises you may never get rid of. The more interior plastic parts and changes in climate will bring them about. Don't let them drive you nuts attempting to find solutions.:D

So many models affected.
Not really this just happens to be a place where they accumulate and are noted. Keep in mind there are nearly 4000 members here. So the problems per capita are quite small. Look at it this way; at least you have some solutions and suggestions that may solve most of the very small issues.;)

Enjoy the i30N for what it is, not what you expect it to be. There's more than enough conscientious owners here, who will locate and solve most of the issues.:)

Last edited:

Jajodu

Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Mea culpa if this has been mentioned already, but I couldn't find it.

So my problem is that when I'm on just a slightly bumpy road - which matches many streets around already - even in Normal mode, I can hear a rattle coming from my B-pillar from the seat belt retractor (see attached image).

If I try to move it without releasing the lock I can feel some wiggle. IMO that is what I'm hearing moving around on bumpier roads.

Is this normal/the same for everybody, or do I have a specific issue?

View attachment 11221
Try placing some insulating tape on the suspect area, does this stop or change the noise?

stratos78

Aug 28, 2019
Athens
Other possible source could be the door striker, check it out, all the rubber seals that goes around the door too.. check this video
the part #2.. it maybe the solution

Last edited: