• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Per:
I only see ~18kg weight difference but manuals rule anyway!
Welcome to the forum. Please take the time to both read the forum rules and introduce yourself to the forum here;
There is a literally a plethora of information available, so utilize the search engine at the top left hand center of the page. It will quickly assist in finding on going topics and discussions you're interested in. Helps out the forum staff in keeping down on duplications and organization as well.

Have fun and enjoy the forum. :)

Reactions: DA6bandit
In the words of "Norah Jones".... "Here we go again".... Ha, ha, ha....:D:D

Best regards,

-Mike

I believe the benefit is that it allows you to select when the overboost is utilized, but it seems to have even more boost perhaps?

I believe the benefit is that it allows you to select when the overboost is utilized, but it seems to have even more boost perhaps?

It will be interesting to get more info. I suspect gimick.

Today the overboost is activated automatically by the accelerator...
If N-Grin and overboost is the same, this is much to be prefered.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Today the overboost is activated automatically by the accelerator...
If N-Grin and overboost is the same, this is much to be prefered.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow a setting toggle to use the automatic triggering as an option. These buyers can't be bothered to select their own gear, you expect them to ask for overboost every time?!?

The only time I can see the manually activated NGS button being an advantage is on a shorter track where you wouldn't want to trigger overboost coming out of the first turn and end up with 250HP on the long straight. I'm not sure how overboost cooldown works in the current cars though. If you only need to cool down for 50% longer duration than the overboost was used for the automatic triggering makes much more sense. (Why overboost for 20s and rest for 30s when you could overboost for 6s and rest for 9s? You would essentially always have the overboost available in the latter scenario.)

Porsche uses a very similar button and countdown, I'm betting there is some clever transmission and boost programming going on behind the scenes.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow a setting toggle to use the automatic triggering as an option. These buyers can't be bothered to select their own gear, you expect them to ask for overboost every time?!?

The only time I can see the manually activated NGS button being an advantage is on a shorter track where you wouldn't want to trigger overboost coming out of the first turn and end up with 250HP on the long straight. I'm not sure how overboost cooldown works in the current cars though. If you only need to cool down for 50% longer duration than the overboost was used for the automatic triggering makes much more sense. (Why overboost for 20s and rest for 30s when you could overboost for 6s and rest for 9s? You would essentially always have the overboost available in the latter scenario.)

Porsche uses a very similar button and countdown, I'm betting there is some clever transmission and boost programming going on behind the scenes.
Bingo, it isn't just overboost, it is also transmission shift speed and an optimization of the torque transfer between the two clutches. NGS is 20 seconds with a 2-3 minute cool down. The current Veloster N doesn't even have overboost enabled in the factory tune, so that is nice. Boost does like slightly higher, and looks like it holds boost out longer, probably a function of the reportedly larger turbo (3mm larger on the compressor side)

Reactions: Ando-N
The very reason for the button NGS button. Most won't even select gears with the paddles. They have 20 seconds of NGS use and no more for 5 minutes.

No need for something clever, especially with the DCT. Iit will simply allow the additional length of time to hold boost over 5225 rpm. Most will only utilize it, when accelerating hard from first thru the first 5 gears. Beyond this for most, it's an afterthought. :)

Porsche utilizes a Sport Responds. Sport Response sends 20 seconds of overboost to the turbos. It's electronically generated thru the ECU and not manually activated. It also immediately shifts the gearbox into the ideal gear and the accelerator becomes more sensitive. A countdown then appears in front of the driver, who then has 20 seconds to pass.

The VN DCT is not designed to do this, in any way or fashion.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ando-N
Forgive me if this has already been covered, skimmed through and didn't see - is there a date released for the DCT cars hitting the US dealers? I'm interested in one.

...should be available and in US dealers hands by the end of June, first part of July as I understand. ;)

Wow! much sooner than I expected. Wonder if it's going to be like the 2019 VN US launch with crazy limited availability. I bet Hyundai isn't too keen on overproducing anything let alone a low volume car after their last miscalculation.

I think I'm going to pick up the DCT one and put them both on Turo so when one is rented out I'll just drive the other one. Charlotte traffic is rough enough that the DCT will be welcome and if I fancy a mountain drive I'll just hop in the manual one.