• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

2019 i30N Fastback - gearbox woes

fatcat

Nthusiast
Oct 4, 2020
Colchester
Ok, first post on here.
Bought new last year I opted for the Fastback, now 12 months old and some 7k miles on and apart from the awful gear change I have enjoyed the car.
I first noticed the lack of synchro from 2nd into 3rd, then a few times at a standstill it would not engage 1st.
5th onto 6th has again always been an issue.
Various posts on here have also highlighted the issue but in varying degrees but a common issue nonetheless.
The car went into the dealership for full inspection of the problem and I had a i30 as a courtesy for the day. My god - it was like chalk and cheese, the i30 was a delight, smooth and a real pleasure.
They reported that there was nothing wrong with the gearbox but noted it 'could' be a 'characteristic element' of the car !!!!!!
I have asked for a 2019 model i30n like for like car to compare it against.
My driving style is positive but not aggressive (I'm 61 ffs)....
The gearbox is really ruining a pretty good car.
If this remains as an issue then I will chop it in for something more enjoyable to drive.
Have I got a lemon ?
I'm always aware of easing in each gear as I go up the gears.
Be interesting on numbers that have this issue ?

Here are two specific threads highlighting various issues. The first is more than likely the issue for you.:)

https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-gear-change-cables-correctly.5184/#post-86338

This will probably help if there's nothing wrong with the gearbox. No, you don't have a lemon. I'd imagine the linkage just needs to be adjusted. You can do it or use the instructions to give to the dealership to correct the issue. Hope this helps you sort it out. :)

Thanks - now we have more time on our hands I will see the dealer again. For me the acid test is comparing another i30n like for like, this way (hopefully) the dealer will have little - if any wriggle room.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Update. We have a like for like replacement car next week for 2 days, hopefully same MY gearbox.
Should be a good test as I will have the car for one day for a commute into London and the wife for her daily route into work. Around 150 miles over the two days so a good comparison.

Reactions: shadowlink_64
Chalk and cheese. The hatch was in another league. Something amiss without a doubt.
Communications now formalised, I have asked for replacement gearbox to be on the table for discussion.
It will be a slow process but its acknowledged there is an issue.
Discussions ongoing.....

Chalk and cheese. The hatch was in another league. Something amiss without a doubt.
Communications now formalised, I have asked for replacement gearbox to be on the table for discussion.
It will be a slow process but its acknowledged there is an issue.
Discussions ongoing.....
The gearbox in the hatch and the fastback are the same. Sounds like yours is not right so it should be repaired or replaced under warranty. Don't let this get the better of you - these are great cars and this can be sorted.
There have been gearbox issues with some cars on this forum, so you are not on your own.

Latest update.
Car went in to the dealers for a gearbox inspection (again) and adjustment (again) and a reset and software check of the ECU.
Well, I've heard it all now.
Gearbox upon driving again has improved the 1st to 2nd to third crunch but the 5th to 6th crunch remains.
ECU - it was reset and by that I was told all the 'driving adaptions' had been removed, the software was also the latest for the i30N.
To my utter amazement i was told that the ECU learns the drivers inputs and adjusts accordingly............
Our car is the only car in the household. its driven 80% of the time 'not by me' and in normal mode.
I normally drive in 'Sport' mode.
So when i jump in and put my foot down the car thinks 'wtf is going on here, I'. normally driven slower than this so I'm gonna restrict its performance'.....
So Hyundai's explanation as to its 'perceived' lack of performance was because I had not driven it 'most of the time'..... it remembers my wifes driving characteristics and applies them to my style of driving.

Surely utter poppycock !!!!

When I jump in I want the full beans immediately not in about 7 months.

Goodbye i30N - all in all you have been a bit of a disappointment.

Latest update.
Car went in to the dealers for a gearbox inspection (again) and adjustment (again) and a reset and software check of the ECU.
Well, I've heard it all now.
Gearbox upon driving again has improved the 1st to 2nd to third crunch but the 5th to 6th crunch remains.
ECU - it was reset and by that I was told all the 'driving adaptions' had been removed, the software was also the latest for the i30N.
To my utter amazement i was told that the ECU learns the drivers inputs and adjusts accordingly............
Our car is the only car in the household. its driven 80% of the time 'not by me' and in normal mode.
I normally drive in 'Sport' mode.
So when i jump in and put my foot down the car thinks 'wtf is going on here, I'. normally driven slower than this so I'm gonna restrict its performance'.....
So Hyundai's explanation as to its 'perceived' lack of performance was because I had not driven it 'most of the time'..... it remembers my wifes driving characteristics and applies them to my style of driving.

Surely utter poppycock !!!!

When I jump in I want the full beans immediately not in about 7 months.

Goodbye i30N - all in all you have been a bit of a disappointment.
I think it worth while you trying another dealer/service department to resolve this issue. Hopefully better techs close by. The car is imho worth persevering with for a little longer.

Reactions: GazmaN and Bu11eT
Did you sell the car yet? Oh and I was in agreement with you and meant that as; " they don't have a clue, not anything negative towards you or about your determination," just to clarify.:)

PX'ing it is pretty pointless, trade puts it around £17k.
Gonna sell it.
My dealer is keen to flog me another but the newer MY 2021 - in all honesty my love affair with the car has run out of steam.

Reactions: R Veloster N
They have been selling for around 20k on we buy any car up to 22k. I'd go to another dealer and if the same raise a complaint to get it sorted. Sadly some dealers are shocking as i found out so went to another which have been great.

Reactions: GazmaN
I have the same issue with my i30n - 2019.
Dealer denies there's a problem. It went to ACE and they didn't find a problem. Trouble is that it is intermittent. Some days it is fine; others it seems to crunch on every gear change.

Its a real pity that Hyundai do not recognise this as a major issue - there is so much evidence. We have been buying new cars for ourselves for over 20 years and this is by far the worst new drivers car I've ever owned.
I thought long and hard about buying this last year and I'm totally deflated with it.
Maybe with the new DCT box next year is a recognition that they have stuffed up with the manual version - who know.
Anyway - now internet window shopping for its replacement.
Popping along to Audi to see their new S3.

Had a similar issue with my old I30N, gearbox was crunching when driven hard. When trying to fit a short shifter to it it popped out of third no matter what I did to set it up, so could not leave it on the car. So took it to the dealer and they said they re adjusted the gearbox apparently but if anything it was getting worse. Sold the car and bought another a year later gearbox totally fine and the same short shift fitted fist time no issue. It seems to be a few iffy gear boxes.