• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tyres 18 x 8.5 35et

Daveloster

Feb 1, 2019
New Westminster, BC, Canada
Just a heads up. I picked up N today and in order to get my winters on (and save me the money of buying 19 winters) I had my winters mounted onto my old summer rim setup. They fit! Look half decent too. They are wide but at stock height I have had no rubbing issues so far. Can't seem to get images to upload from. My phone but my instagram is DaVeloster if you have any questions or want pics etc

18x8.5 35et 225/40/18

Reactions: S.R.Nation
There is no way that ET35 will be flush with fenders but with oem suspension you can run them. 225 tyre on 8,5” ET35 wheel might work even with Eibach springs.

Yeah it is a bit of a poke but I just wanted to know if they would work. With such a big offset difference I was worried they would not work at all and I would have to but winter (or all seasons) before I even left the dealership.

In fact it looks to me like we could run a staggered setup. They seem to be flush in the back but the front has a tiny bit of poke

Attachments

• P2020877.jpg
    P2020877.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 213
There is no way that ET35 will be flush with fenders but with oem suspension you can run them. 225 tyre on 8,5” ET35 wheel might work even with Eibach springs.

Keep in mind that I believe the Veloster N has a bit more fender clearance than the i30N. From the pictures/wheel specs I've seen from other people at least, it seems as though the VN can handle more aggressive specs before needing suspension/fender work.

In fact it looks to me like we could run a staggered setup. They seem to be flush in the back but the front has a tiny bit of poke

This is because of the stock alignment specs for the N, there's much less camber in the front than in the back (-0.5* in the front vs -1.7* in the back). With a proper race/performance spec alignment the camber will be closer front and back and everything will fit nicely.

Yeah I am in no way an expert and probably would not pick this size, I just had a hard time finding info for the VN and there was a chance they quid not work at all. Using my old tires saved me 1000+ out the door and doesn't look half bad ;)

Reactions: 1FastStagea
It might be okay with 225 winter tire and easy driving, but I wouldn't recommend the 8.5J ET35 rims, if you plan to drive it hard with semi slick tires (which typically are wider than the rated width for about 20mm). This is what I've experienced so far on my local track (which has 20 turns), with stock suspension and stock alignment settings.

• Stock tire (235/35R19) + Stock Rim (8.0J ET55) - No scrub
  • Semi slicks (235/35R19) + Stock Rim (8.0J ET55) - Very short and mild scrub on one particular corner (and only scrub one tire)
  • Semi slicks (235/40R18) + 8.5J ET45 - Mild to moderate scrubbing on 3-5 corners (3 if you avoid the curbs and 5 if you're using the curbs)
  • Semi slicks (235/40R18) + 8.5J ET42 - Harsher scrubbing on the above mentioned 3-5 corners and mild to moderate scrubbing on 2-4 other corners

scrub.jpg

This photo was taken after only 5 laps with 8.5J ET45. While it isn't exactly harmful level of scrubbing for your tires, but it digs into the tires for some millimeters after 5 sessions and you gotta remove some tire deposit on your fenders since some of those scrubbed tire will be sticked to your fenders.

You can resolve the issue by using different camber bolts (and more aggressive camber) with 8.5J ET42-45, but I'm not sure that's enough for ET35.

Last edited:
It might be okay with 225 winter tire and easy driving, but I wouldn't recommend the 8.5J ET35 rims, if you plan to drive it hard with semi slick tires (which typically are wider than the rated width for about 20mm). This is what I've experienced so far on my local track (which has 20 turns), with stock suspension and stock alignment settings.

• Stock tire (235/35R19) + Stock Rim (8.0J ET55) - No scrub
  • Semi slicks (235/35R19) + Stock Rim (8.0J ET55) - Very short and mild scrub on one particular corner (and only scrub one tire)
  • Semi slicks (235/40R18) + 8.5J ET45 - Mild to moderate scrubbing on 3-5 corners (3 if you avoid the curbs and 5 if you're using the curbs)
  • Semi slicks (235/40R18) + 8.5J ET42 - Harsher scrubbing on the above mentioned 3-5 corners and mild to moderate scrubbing on 2-4 other corners

View attachment 5334

This photo was taken after only 5 laps with 8.5J ET45. While it isn't exactly harmful level of scrubbing for your tires, but it digs into the tires for some millimeters after 5 sessions and you gotta remove some tire deposit on your fenders since some of those scrubbed tire will be sticked to your fenders.

You can resolve the issue by using different camber bolts (and more aggressive camber) with 8.5J ET42-45, but I'm not sure that's enough for ET35.

I assume by scrubbing you mean the tire rubbing against the fender lips? Yes, you definitely need to do some suspension (camber bolts or coilovers with front camber plates) or fender (roll and/or pull, but for the specs you mentioned a simple flat roll would probably suffice) work to avoid the above scenario.

I have resolved the issue long ago by using different camber bolts. As far as I can tell, there are multiple rubbing points on each corners of the car, so camber bolts/plates are the only real option if you want to deal with them altogether at once.

I have resolved the issue long ago by using different camber bolts. As far as I can tell, there are multiple rubbing points on each corners of the car, so camber bolts/plates are the only real option if you want to deal with them altogether at once.

Which camber bolts are you running now? I just picked up a set of Whiteline bolts that supposedly offer up to -2.5* up front.

52757 2D000

You can get up to -1.9° with that bolts (but I settled for -1.6°) and it costs only $2 ($1 per each).

52757 2D000

You can get up to -1.9° with that bolts (but I settled for -1.6°) and it costs only $2 ($1 per each).

Wait a minute... those stock strut bolts are actually adjustable cam bolts?? Well damn, wish I knew that before. So they basically act like aftermarket camber bolts where they change the camber depending on the position you turn them to?

That's odd because from the pictures I saw when I googled that part # it seemed as though they were just regular bolts with no cam on them, whereas you can clearly see the cam on the Whiteline bolts I bought.

bolt 1.jpg

bolt 2.jpg

It doesn't have the same kind of adjustability. It's a stock bolt for other car, so it's more like you're getting an additional -1.0° on your front.

I saw a picture somewhere of a winter set of rims that were offered by the dealer yo a veloster N customer. I am trying to find the picture and the rims, but havent been able to trace down that thread. It's a long shot, but does anyone remember seeing a thread where people were debating on the rim manufacturer? I think the rims had a full name ( guys first and last name) and the rims looked great on the car.