• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

“Issues” I’ve noticed

I’ve noticed some things since I got the car a couple months ago and I’m not sure if they are normal or if I should mention it to Hyundai the next time I get maintenance done.

-Sometimes it’s hard to get the car into first gear and reverse. It happens randomly and I just put the car back into neutral, then back into gear and it’s fine, not really a big deal but I’m not sure if it’s normal.

-if I let the car sit overnight after it rains, the brakes stick and I have to engage the clutch a little, give it some gas and the stuck wheels make a loud pop. I’m assuming it’s because the brake pads might be semi-metallic and are sticking to the rotor because of rust?

When I’m at low speed (about to park in a parking spot for example) and I press the clutch in, it makes a chatter/rattling sound about 50% of the time. I’m not sure if it’s the LSD making noise or if there’s something wrong with my clutch.

-I’ve only had this happen once but when I started the car there was a loud grinding noise. I had the car in neutral and the clutch was pushed all the way in.

Cygnus X-1

-Sometimes it’s hard to get the car into first gear and reverse. It happens randomly and I just put the car back into neutral, then back into gear and it’s fine, not really a big deal but I’m not sure if it’s normal.
Somewhat common with Hyundai gearboxes but I upgraded the fluid and haven’t had this happen.

-if I let the car sit overnight after it rains, the brakes stick and I have to engage the clutch a little, give it some gas and the stuck wheels make a loud pop. I’m assuming it’s because the brake pads might be semi-metallic and are sticking to the rotor because of rust?
Yes, rust. Normal.

-When I’m at low speed (about to park in a parking spot for example) and I press the clutch in, it makes a chatter/rattling sound about 50% of the time. I’m not sure if it’s the LSD making noise or if there’s something wrong with my clutch.
Same here and it’s annoying. It’s worse after “spirited” driving. Guessing it’s the throwout bearing making the racket, but haven’t had it looked at.

-I’ve only had this happen once but when I started the car there was a loud grinding noise. I had the car in neutral and the clutch was pushed all the way in.
Need more info. If it can’t be easily reproduced, no way to tell what it is.

I would definitely mention the chatter/rattling issue the next time you’re at the dealer, since that issue can be easily reproduced.

I’ve noticed some things since I got the car a couple months ago and I’m not sure if they are normal or if I should mention it to Hyundai the next time I get maintenance done.

When I’m at low speed (about to park in a parking spot for example) and I press the clutch in, it makes a chatter/rattling sound about 50% of the time. I’m not sure if it’s the LSD making noise or if there’s something wrong with my clutch.

Regarding the 4th bullet point, I've had the same thing happen 2-3 times and it's been absent for the better part of a month now. my best guess was either the starter running too long after the engine turned over.

Anecdotal but I stopped holding the button during start up and just give it a full and quick push. Also makes me feel better to prime the fuel pump before starting which is 2 button presses with the clutch not depressed and then go for it. Also when it was grinding it wasn't reproducible, other than only happening on cold start after sitting overnight.

Nomad17

I've never tried holding the start button down but probably functions the same as just a quick press. I think you may be right about the startup grind, in cold weather the bendix may not be retracting the gear fast enough and it grinds against the flywheel.

It probably does, and it does sound very much like that, especially because the engine seems to have to fight through it like the flywheel is dragging. I believe it's a fairly common problem with push button cars.

R Veloster N

I've never tried holding the start button down but probably functions the same as just a quick press. I think you may be right about the startup grind, in cold weather the bendix may not be retracting the gear fast enough and it grinds against the flywheel.
It does, there's no difference in a short push or long one.

Last edited:

dowa1

It does, there's no difference in a short push or long one.
i dont know. im still not sure about this one.

on very cold days only giving a short push sometimes was not enough to turn on the engine, it just stopped after a half second.. after holding it, the engine started normal

Update: Another thing I've noticed is when the car is in neutral and I'm not pressing the clutch in, there is a quiet hum, when I press the clutch in it goes away. It has to be silent around for me to hear it. Maybe it has something to do with the random chattering I'm experiencing?

Davo01

With all due respect, please think about how a manual drive train works ;-)

Even in neutral, when the clutch is not depressed things inside the gearbox are spinning: it’s just that they are not attempting to turn the wheels. Hence some noises can be heard from the gearbox.

When the clutch is depressed the engine is disconnected from the gearbox so nothing in the gearbox turns. Hence the “hum” you hear when the clutch is not depressed is absent.

This is the case for all manual drivetrains not just the N. It can be louder or softer, but always there. On your N as you said it is very subtle. On my Honda motorcycle it’s very very apparent to a somewhat trained ear, as it has been on many other (non N) vehicles I have owned over the last 30 years.

So unless it is quite loud, it’s (expectedly) normal :)

Last edited: