• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Engine startup issues

This is a problem with an electrical connection. Something is loose in the ignition system. Possibly a bad ground or a loose one. Start at the battery, onto the starter motor and solenoid. Make sure all the grounds are clean and tight. Very likely corrosion on one of the terminals.

You can also remove the steering column panels just behind the steering wheel and check the ignition leads making sure there is nothing loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex2504
To not open a new thread, i'm leaving a question here since it is kinda a related with the topic, what is your method to fire up the engine? I mean, do you press the clutch and start button right away while the dashboard is black or you press the start button first (or twice) and then press the clutch and start? Personally, i fire up the engine as soon as i get into the car, foot on the clutch, dashboard with no lights and start. Is it bad? Would like to hear your thoughts on this matter.
I get in the car put the clutch fully down and press the start button, the car starts no problem!

I get in the car put the clutch fully down and press the start button, the car starts no problem!
I've been doing that since a year ago and no issues, but you never know. Sometimes we are doing something wrong for so long that it seams right.

Reactions: J BOB
Update after 15000km's.. Have not had this issue again after following the start up procedure I put in place to see if it would fix the issue.

I turn the key to accessories for around 5 seconds to prime the fuel pump then fire up. After doing this I have not had the issue in 15000km's.. Not sure if it's blind luck or whether it actually did something but has not happened since.

Update after 15000km's.. Have not had this issue again after following the start up procedure I put in place to see if it would fix the issue.

I turn the key to accessories for around 5 seconds to prime the fuel pump then fire up. After doing this I have not had the issue in 15000km's.. Not sure if it's blind luck or whether it actually did something but has not happened since.
You may have the same issue I had with the injectors leaking down. That’s why you have to cycle to key which is most likely priming the fuel pump And building that lost pressure back up.

Reactions: R Veloster N

On my car you need to go past the accessory position and onto ignition before the in tank pump will prime, I always do that before pushing the clutch in to start, mine is a keyless start model, I'd much prefer an ignition key.

On my car you need to go past the accessory position and onto ignition before the in tank pump will prime, I always do that before pushing the clutch in to start, mine is a keyless start model, I'd much prefer an ignition key.

Ah yes, my last car was keyless (push start).. it was an LS3 V8 and did the exact same thing when brand new. It honestly sounded like each piston was coming to life one after another instead of just firing to life. Very strange.

You may have the same issue I had with the injectors leaking down. That’s why you have to cycle to key which is most likely priming the fuel pump And building that lost pressure back up.

My problem was so intermittent that I'd never be able to replicate it for the dealer so I never bothered even booking it in. Now I just cycle the fuel pump and it hasn't happened since. Figured it was better than some apprentice technician turning my car off and on for hours trying to replicate it :rolleyes:

My problem was so intermittent that I'd never be able to replicate it for the dealer so I never bothered even booking it in. Now I just cycle the fuel pump and it hasn't happened since. Figured it was better than some apprentice technician turning my car off and on for hours trying to replicate it :rolleyes:
You can Record every startup like I did till you capture it on video.Doesn’t take much effort and you can just delete the videos where it starts okay.

You can Record every startup like I did till you capture it on video.Doesn’t take much effort and you can just delete the videos where it starts okay.

I did that for a while but after 50 videos I just couldn't be bothered :D even if I showed it to my dealer they would honestly only say "we could not replicate it". I didn't think they'd be giving out sets of injectors to everyone coming in with a video of themselves starting the car so I just stopped even trying.

I have an appointment at the third workshop next week and after 2 months, I got my salesperson and Hyundai customer service to send my videos to Hyundai's technical department. Otherwise, the workshops only say that the error must be reproducible. The videos don't help they said. I say Bullshit! If the third workshop does not want to help me and the technical department does not respond satisfactorily, I will inform my lawyer!

A video where it's not that bad. Still not normal! Or am I too sensitive?

Last edited:
Have your fuelinjectors changed. My car suddenly started behaving very badly: nearly didn't want to start, drove extremely jerky, lots of noise, ... The dealer changed the injectors (known fix, in Beligium at least). After that everything has been fine.
Costly fix, but should be done under warrenty.

I have an appointment at the third workshop next week and after 2 months, I got my salesperson and Hyundai customer service to send my videos to Hyundai's technical department. Otherwise, the workshops only say that the error must be reproducible. The videos don't help they said. I say Bullshit! If the third workshop does not want to help me and the technical department does not respond satisfactorily, I will inform my lawyer!

A video where it's not that bad. Still not normal! Or am I too sensitive?

It just sucks that Hyundai are replacing some peoples injectors no hassle but then some people are being completely denied the service. I wish Hyundai would throw out a service bulletin then we'd all be entitled.

Reactions: KaPutty
Yesterday went to start my N did as usual depressed clutch pressed start button and it turned over for 3 or 4 seconds before starting, after that the rest of the time it was fine starting straight away has anybody else ever had this happen?

Yesterday went to start my N did as usual depressed clutch pressed start button and it turned over for 3 or 4 seconds before starting, after that the rest of the time it was fine starting straight away has anybody else ever had this happen?
Mine took a couple of seconds to start after not being driven for two weeks. Before and since then it's been fine.

Reactions: pillred
Hesitant to start again this morning, and that was after I drove 50 miles in it yesterday in daylight so can't imagine it's the battery, funny thing is every time I started it after that it was fine, very odd.

When I had the N saw this hard start 4 or 5 times in 18 month the whole car shuck.Last time I had it went under the bonnet and discovered the Header tank had an inch worth of oil in it!