• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

The I30N depreciation worse than others ‘statement’

Not sure how anyone can predict the depreciation at the moment.

People forget a few basic facts when they sell a car they’ve had for a few months and then cry ‘bad depreciation”.

In the UK ....

Pre-Reg, ultra low mile demo or just discounted i30N’s are sold for around £25,000 to the customer.
The customer has actually paid £20,883 for the car (to Hyundai) and the rest in Vat to the government as a tax.

Unless you are Vat registered, come the time you sell or part exchange that Vat amount won’t be added to the sale price of the car.
Your car lost £4200 of its invoice value as soon as you drove it away with NO depreciation as it was a tax.

Hyundai dealers are full of year old i30N’s for around the £22k mark which I don’t think is too bad at all.

Reactions: Davo01
I paid 25k for my pre reg in Feb 2018. I recently got part exchange values as I thought I might have to swap it due to new baby but not necessary now and I was quoted on several occasions at 19k for the car that had done 10k mileage.

The original point stands that people complaining or using depreciation as an arguement (which has yet to be proved correct or otherwise) are mostly the same people that purchase a car using a finance model like PCP. Where there is low risk and the car just gets swapped after the 3/4 years.

With all due respect, if people want to put down deposits of £5k and £10k (or pay £28k cash) on a first model of a new car then good luck to you, but it wouldn’t be me.

My Kia Pro Ceed GT didn’t have a mark on her, was an ultra rare car (seen less on the roads than the I30N imo.) and I got the lowest of the low price back.

Big deal. Maybe if I had a Lamborghini or classic car, then I’d me more worried or interested in ‘depreciation’ or a car ‘holding value’ but this I30N will just go south like most cars out there....

Reactions: GazmaN
I agree.

i30N is a COOL car to own, but it still «just» a car...

I decided to just enjoy my car untill warranty runs out. If it solid without big repairs, I may even keep it longer.

You get really spoiled driving the i30N. I rented a normal Golf for a week during a vacation trip a few days ago. Review can be summed up like this: MPG is awesome, car is totally Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz.

Picked up my i30N at the airport when we came back, and it felt like it had race car setup :p

The original point stands that people complaining or using depreciation as an arguement (which has yet to be proved correct or otherwise) are mostly the same people that purchase a car using a finance model like PCP. Where there is low risk and the car just gets swapped after the 3/4 years.

With all due respect, if people want to put down deposits of £5k and £10k (or pay £28k cash) on a first model of a new car then good luck to you, but it wouldn’t be me.

My Kia Pro Ceed GT didn’t have a mark on her, was an ultra rare car (seen less on the roads than the I30N imo.) and I got the lowest of the low price back.

Big deal. Maybe if I had a Lamborghini or classic car, then I’d me more worried or interested in ‘depreciation’ or a car ‘holding value’ but this I30N will just go south like most cars out there....
I would care if I bought this thing based on anything finance or depreciation related, but for me it was a purely emotional (yet affordable) transaction. And one I will never regret.

I would care if I bought this thing based on anything finance or depreciation related, but for me it was a purely emotional (yet affordable) transaction. And one I will never regret.

You always loose money on ‘normal’ cars ..... you could be driving something utterly dull like a Toyota or Vauxhall and loose money.
At least we are enjoying every mile we drive while we loose money!

A large part of depreciation starts with the strategy of the company and dealers. It was easy to achieve a discount on the i30N when I brought my car but more difficult on the type R. The Honda dealers said that Honda UK put a lot of pressure on not to discount the type R, that's likely to support used values. I suspect this is the case as Honda dealers still have type R dmonstrators for sale that they had for sale when I was looking 12 months ago. If Hyundai held new values the used would probably hold up better but for some not be affordable.

A large part of depreciation starts with the strategy of the company and dealers. It was easy to achieve a discount on the i30N when I brought my car but more difficult on the type R. The Honda dealers said that Honda UK put a lot of pressure on not to discount the type R, that's likely to support used values. I suspect this is the case as Honda dealers still have type R dmonstrators for sale that they had for sale when I was looking 12 months ago. If Hyundai held new values the used would probably hold up better but for some not be affordable.

That’s a great point.

When did you buy your I30N may I ask?

I actually struggled to get any discount on mine back at launch as that was the approach Hyundai were taking (I.e limited or no discount) so the dealer had to take the hit.

A large part of depreciation starts with the strategy of the company and dealers. It was easy to achieve a discount on the i30N when I brought my car but more difficult on the type R. The Honda dealers said that Honda UK put a lot of pressure on not to discount the type R, that's likely to support used values. I suspect this is the case as Honda dealers still have type R demonstrators for sale that they had for sale when I was looking 12 months ago. If Hyundai held new values the used would probably hold up better but for some not be affordable.
Honda and Acura a sister company, do not like to discount their automobiles. In fact Acura, will not discount their products here in the US. The price is the price. Honda does not like to even provide you their invoice prices.

Dealing is the essence of an Auto Dealership. Call it what you please; stroking the ego, a feeling of accomplishment or satisfaction etc. If you're not prepared to deal on the price of the auto, then rename it, a car sales company.

I watched a manager argue with his salesman at a local Honda dealership, when we asked for the invoice price. The argument was so loud, we heard it 35 yards away, on the other side of the showroom. We got up and walked out. As we walked out, I looked at the manager and told him his argument with the salesman, was totally out of line and unacceptable. He attempted to call us back several times and apologize. We simply ignored the calls and won't ever be back.

Hyundai, has never treated us this way. They're always, ready to supply their invoice price and discuss other discounts, even dealership hold back money. We've had 3 Hyundais and 1 Genesis G80 so far and have not been disappointed.

There is a stigma with Hyundai's. The media doesn't receive them well but this is slowly changing. Higher priced auto buyers are hesitant in trusting the brand. They are used to a more laid back sales style and getting their ego's stroked in plush showrooms, reception and service areas. This I believe, has the most impact on resale. Some owners are just too snobbish to rub noses, with lower prices buyers. All you have to do is look at Hyundais volume of sales, in comparison to BMW, Mini, Audi etc.

I've owned many different brands and prices of cars. From Porsches, Audi, Mercedes etc. Yes, they have a wonderful aura about them and their sales staffs are trained to stroke your ego. Their price range, segregates buyers but in the end, it's all the same.

Hyundai has always done an excellent job attracting the lower priced, economical shoppers. They're finally moving into a different market share, with the N products. Will they be like BMW no, even with the Genesis Branding. They will continue to evolve around the prior. They're looked upon as an excellent alternative, not as a first choice by many.

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
That’s a great point.

When did you buy your I30N may I ask?

I actually struggled to get any discount on mine back at launch as that was the approach Hyundai were taking (I.e limited or no discount) so the dealer had to take the hit.
I purchased in March 2018, I suspect the dealer was Chasing his end of year bonus. The discount was decent, but I was buying outright.

What are you replacing her with?

Just got her home, ill still answer any detailing questions that pop up

9He8V36l.jpg

Hi everyone, so I'm currently looking at buying an i30n or the fastback and there seem to be a lot of well priced ones (1 year old around £22k), what worries me is cars with 10k miles on the clock having 2-4 owners! Is it people not appreciating the running costs?

Reactions: Gavin