• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Warranty question - track coverage?

BadShadd

Nthusiast
May 12, 2018
K'lautern (Germany) · 99
Howdy all - I'm a i30N driver, but was curious to know if the VN comes with a track warranty like our European cars have. I previously was interested in the VN, but didn't want to pay import / VAT mark-ups of 42%.

I emailed Hyundai USA to ask about this since I saw Hyundai Australia and UK have the 5 year track warranty. Here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers and are sorry to hear of the warranty confusion. However, we are happy to provide an update to you.

The response was that we cannot advise that we have or are planning to get a "track friendly warranty. "That taking it onto a track and running it higher than the recommended MPH would be considered excessive under the warranty as it is now."

Not sure what the recommended MPH is...wouldn't it be the limited 155mph? Regardless, unless you are actually racing, most track days are sold as HPDE events. I called my insurance, Wawanesa, and was told that racing won't be covered if there is an issue, but any driver's education is. In the end, I'd assume this is a gray area and it's best to not go out of your way to say some issue happened at the track. If asked about excessive wear, make sure to mention it was during driver's ED.

I emailed Hyundai USA to ask about this since I saw Hyundai Australia and UK have the 5 year track warranty. Here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers and are sorry to hear of the warranty confusion. However, we are happy to provide an update to you.

The response was that we cannot advise that we have or are planning to get a "track friendly warranty. "That taking it onto a track and running it higher than the recommended MPH would be considered excessive under the warranty as it is now."

Not sure what the recommended MPH is...wouldn't it be the limited 155mph? Regardless, unless you are actually racing, most track days are sold as HPDE events. I called my insurance, Wawanesa, and was told that racing won't be covered if there is an issue, but any driver's education is. In the end, I'd assume this is a gray area and it's best to not go out of your way to say some issue happened at the track. If asked about excessive wear, make sure to mention it was during driver's ED.
Typical Hyundai USA Response! This is Hyundai's stance on the Veloster N. It's a purpose built track car and they won't allow it to be tracked? I give!!:rolleyes:

UPDATE for the US;

Nearly a complete reversal of their previous stance. Print the document and hand it to your dealer or service manager when they start balking about below;

I can't wait to show this to mine!!

View attachment 7410
So let me see if I'm reading this right, Hyundai (USA) are saying you can install (as long as done correctly) a larger intercooler and a better cold air induction kit along with other parts (as they presumably make the car perform better without adding strain on the engine like a remap would do)?

As long as they don't damage the vehicle or other parts that is, i.e if you buy a substandard part and it breaks your engine, don't come crying to us? I don't suppose we have something similar for the UK? :)

This is just not for the US, it's for any Hyundai Veloster N, sold world wide. :) . there was a lot of bitching and moaning about the lack of such a policy in the US. Especially for a car designed to be put on the track or autocross.
So let me see if I'm reading this right, Hyundai (USA) are saying you can install (as long as done correctly) a larger intercooler and a better cold air induction kit along with other parts (as they presumably make the car perform better without adding strain on the engine like a remap would do)?
You might. I'd call or email Hyundai Assurance in your country and ask them to provide you with these printed guidelines.

I know Europe and Australia have such a track warranties. So, it's reasonable to believe, these same requirements are available world wide for the i30N as well.
As long as they don't damage the vehicle or other parts that is, i.e if you buy a substandard part and it breaks your engine, don't come crying to us?
Pretty much, as I read it. It's definately guide lines for over zealous dealers and will keep them in line with Hyundai Assurances decisions.