• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Something loose in the hatch

speedking

Nthusiast
Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
Something has come loose in the hatchback. I presume a bolt/screw/nut that is now free. Every time I open/close the hatch it rattles down to the bottom. Sounds quite chunky.

Rather than have the dealer throw it in the bin, I would like to have a look myself.

How to remove the interior trim of the hatch?

Something has come loose in the hatchback. I presume a bolt/screw/nut that is now free. Every time I open/close the hatch it rattles down to the bottom. Sounds quite chunky.

Rather than have the dealer throw it in the bin, I would like to have a look myself.

How to remove the interior trim of the hatch?

Generally, just pull the trim out. Watch out for random bolts in occasional places but mostly its a piece of p to take this car apart.

Have a look at the relevant diagrams here:

Click Me!

It will give you an idea if the relevant trim piece is just clipped in or actual fastened with a bolt.

Reactions: speedking
Maybe my Hatchback fix will also work for you.
Maybe not
Unfortunately it is not a persistent rattle, but quite clearly when you raise the hatch you can hear something rolling down to the bottom (top of the hatch). Reverse when you close it. Something has come loose and fallen out inside.

Last edited:
Same probleme here on a Fastback From 2019 ...
When i open the tailgate i sometimes hear a noise and it disappears when i close it and reopen it.
In my case it looks like something is moving and goes somewhere but get stuck there for a moment.
And then later on it happens again ...

I’ve noticed a bad rattle too, something is loose rattling around behind the plastic, can hear it when opening a closing the boot. Is there a quick guide for safely removing the trim to look?

I’ve got this rattle now 😩 Need to dig around and try and find out what it is.
Think I’ve upset the car gods, two horrendous starts this week, this rattle and squeaky steering.

• Sad
Reactions: loafer-N77
Most likely either a nut holding in the spoiler or one holding in the rear light.

Think it's the light, I've checked the spoiler ones and they're definitely bolted on and feel tight. It's gone quiet again, so I think it's got jammed somewhere, will try and dig it out over Christmas.

I’ve got this rattle now 😩 Need to dig around and try and find out what it is.
Think I’ve upset the car gods, two horrendous starts this week, this rattle and squeaky steering.
I also get the squeaky steering when it's around 0°C or lower :( the "good" thing in this is only when the inside of the car is warm enough it disappears 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

I also get the squeaky steering when it's around 0°C or lower :( the "good" thing in this is only when the inside of the car is warm enough it disappears 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Is it LSD thing? Mine is more a rubbing noise at lower speeds (I think it's hidden this one), it just needs a bit of silicon grease to ease it up. I've asked at least twice for the garage to do it when they service the car, but they've ignored me.

Is it LSD thing? Mine is more a rubbing noise at lower speeds (I think it's hidden this one), it just needs a bit of silicon grease to ease it up. I've asked at least twice for the garage to do it when they service the car, but they've ignored me.
Nope the same issue you have, that it has to be greased up :D

Reactions: _Emma