• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Turbo overload / turbo cut-off

Sure, the OEM parameters and safety setting checked out fine, because they never adjusted them. Checking boost and torque is simply putting it on the dyno for a run or three and making sure they're within their allowed specifications. The ECU needs to come out of the car and specific adjustments made. Then reinstalled and run on the dyno to insure there are not problems.

Obviously, the OEM factory safety setting aren't or haven't been adjusted correctly to suit the tune and power output. This is why it's going into limp mode.

Just remember @kamyk155, I'm not the bad guy here. I'm just being honest with you and explaining the obvious. I know it's frustrating but this is part of the game of tuning and modifying and engine. There are pitfalls with every change, some greater than others. Keeping in mind this is a newer format to work with. So there's a bit of a learning curve involved as well.

ECU tuning is not an exact science, never has been. It's more trial and error then anything else.:)

Last edited:
I will give them my car for all next friday and told them about problem.
I think cutting some torque will be good.
There wasn't any problems after tuning - problems started after whole exhaust system change when the power and torque raised.

Very possibly but don't guess, it won't solve anything. Torque limiting is not that big of a deal and can be compensated for. They just have to know how to do so correctly. :) đź‘Ť

It maybe how quickly the engine is responding to throttle input and increasing torque per the amount of throttle load and boost increases.

Reactions: kamyk155
Do you have an early build? Mine is first Australian batch 2018.

TarmoT and Veloster N have already covered this well, it is a torque limit.

I just want to add that my tuned ECU suffered similar boost cut under load, 20PSI max. It was a slight hesitation during acceleration and it doesn't happen all the time.

Another car by the same tuner experiences the same as you and it hits the limp mode. They diagnosed that as a faulty O² sensor.

You are not alone and I hope this helps.

I just want to add that my tuned ECU suffered similar boost cut under load, 20PSI max. It was a slight hesitation during acceleration and it doesn't happen all the time.

Another car by the same tuner experiences the same as you and it hits the limp mode. They diagnosed that as a faulty O² sensor.

I have late 2018 but MY19 version of the car with gpf.
I read some about turbo cut-off problems and saw too problems with o2 sensors.
We will see everything on friday.

Generally, the o2 sensors will throw a CEL but it's possible for them to take the car into limp mode.

How did they lengthen the lambda cables? Did they use a new longer cable or splice them? :)

Last edited:
Generally, the o2 sensors will throw a CEL but it's possible for them to take the car into limp mode.

How did they lengthen the lambda cables? Did they use new longer wires or splice them? :)
They told me that they found another cable and makes one from two.
I read that solder is bad for those sensors and better to special use clamps and told them about it.
We talked before how they do it - solder or use clamps - but I forgot to ask after so I don't know.

Finding the right length lambda cable is essential. Cutting and splicing them, is not something to do. It causes resistance in the cable and in the signal , which can cause problems. Frankly, they need to find a longer compatible lambda cable. Find out the length required and the number of wires utilized. The needed to be utilizing high temp wire for any extension. Additional length of the lambda can add resistance also.

Not saying this is the problem but it might be.:) Bosch o2 sensors, are the best available.

A weak o2 sensor will cause; limited acceleration or none at all, rough idling or erratic idling, poor fuel economy as it will be running to rich.

Last edited:

There are a significant number of maps that will lead to this issue, but the most likely issue is that the tuner did not adjust any of the turbo charger modeling. There shouldn't be any issues with pressure cuts until 22.5 PSI, at which point the sensor limit has to be tuned around.

There are also a million things this could be. If torque demand, airflow, and load limits are not adjusted properly you can get a cut, but generally this will result in a CEL.

After yesterday car checking weird thing - no problems on other dyno even to speed of 200km/h.
Another weird thing - on the computer - zero emergency events...
Conclusion - car will go for ecu calibration.
They will cut some power/torque because on their dyno torque was even higher than 477nm on previous dyno.

After yesterday car checking weird thing - no problems on other dyno even to speed of 200km/h.
Another weird thing - on the computer - zero emergency events...
Conclusion - car will go for ecu calibration.
They will cut some power/torque because on their dyno torque was even higher than 477nm on previous dyno.

did you try a log-drive with them aswell? having the car driving on the road and having someone sitting on the passenger seat to have a look at the logs may help you to figure out what was going on. A car behaves different during real road testing than on a dyno.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Datalogging would really help here. I will make a post about how to datalog, what to log, and how to interpret the data you are viewing at some point in the near future.

If you continue to have problems I can walk you through and we can identify the problem for your tuner.

Datalogging would really help here. I will make a post about how to datalog, what to log, and how to interpret the data you are viewing at some point in the near future.

If you continue to have problems I can walk you through and we can identify the problem for your tuner.

As you seem to have some experience with data logging, did you by chance find a way to log oil temps through obd?

Reactions: MPSFunjet
Yes. I setup my own PID for oil temperature.
mind sharing that one? tried to get them via the Torque Pro App, without much success unfotunately :(
Can you post them in this thread? Would help many people out I reckon :)

Reactions: r_anderson96
I don't know what and how they test it. Only thing I know - dyno, driving and computer in the service.
No errors in car log - car drives good but torque was even higher than on previous dyno - closer to 500nm.
I know one thing for sure - they burned half of the fuel tank with 100 octans...

I don't know what and how they test it. Only thing I know - dyno, driving and computer in the service.
No errors in car log - car drives good but torque was even higher than on previous dyno - closer to 500nm.
I know one thing for sure - they burned half of the fuel tank with 100 octans...

Maybe it's worth asking them how they tested. I'd reckon they were just not able to replicate the issue you described because the car was tested only on the dyno.
It's all trying to replicate the same circumstances you had when driving the car on the road.