• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N vs Focus ST

For some reason the Focus ST has never managed to be more than the sum of its parts in the way the Fiesta ST or Focus RS have.

Reactions: GazmaN
I still say in N mode not much could keep up with me on twisty B roads:eek:
That is quite a bold statement i know but the N is a hooligan:)

For some reason the Focus ST has never managed to be more than the sum of its parts in the way the Fiesta ST or Focus RS have.
Maybe you're right. Ford Focus ST has always been "It's very good, but....." from what I hear from car journalists. Usually it's about the ride quality. Last generation wasn't very good in the infotainment department.

It's amazing how the i30 N still stacks up to the modern hot hatches of the brands that have done this for decades.

Maybe you're right. Ford Focus ST has always been "It's very good, but....." from what I hear from car journalists.

I think the "but" comes from the fact that if you want an affordable driver's hot hatch, you'll gravitate to the Fiesta ST, i30N, Type R, RS280. If you want luxury with a bit of poke you'll go VW.

The Focus ST feels like it's almost in some lost spot between the two where as the article says it's not the car you'd pick to tackle your favourite bit of blacktop in spite of being objectively better in many key areas. But if you then compare it to a Golf it is the lesser car for interior feel, comfort and daily driving.

I think the "but" comes from the fact that if you want an affordable driver's hot hatch, you'll gravitate to the Fiesta ST, i30N, Type R, RS280. If you want luxury with a bit of poke you'll go VW.

The Focus ST feels like it's almost in some lost spot between the two where as the article says it's not the car you'd pick to tackle your favourite bit of blacktop in spite of being objectively better in many key areas. But if you then compare it to a Golf it is the lesser car for interior feel, comfort and daily driving.

Pretty much sums it up nicely.

Reactions: Shoulders181
Don’t get your hopes up. If anything it will be more civilized than the first version...

The few things that I've seen so far look promising. But like most, I'll reserve judgement till reviews are out and I can actually get a shot in one myself. Until then, it's all speculation:)

Actually preferred my MK3.5 Focus ST to my RS as an everyday car strangely but yeah, they are decent cars but Ford just do smaller Fiesta sized vehicles much better. I never wanted to push the Focus ST much in corners, it understeered pretty quickly. I still can't love the new MK4 ST shape though......(or the price).

My Fiesta MK7 ST was hilariously good and the current one is even better apparently. The i20N needs to pull something major out of its arse to beat it.

My Fiesta MK7 ST was hilariously good and the current one is even better apparently. The i20N needs to pull something major out of its arse to beat it.

Same here. My MK7 Fiesta ST was an absolute hoot that nailed its design brief perfectly. Just a pity it kept chewing through gearboxes under warranty and Ford had no idea why.

A Fiesta ST v i20N comparo will be interesting.

Reactions: pillred
Good find GazmaN :cool:. Since when did you become a Mod not to mention a staff member?? Too much power for you buddy haha.

• Haha