• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Ticking in N mode

WhiteNwPP

Jul 3, 2020
United States of America
Wondering if anyone else has had this ? It’s most prominent around 950 rpm which makes it more audible in N mode, it doesn’t sound good at all and is very worrysome. Although it does go away once I bring the rpm over 950

Welcome to the forum. Please, give yourself and members the opportunity of an introduction and take the time to read the rules of the forum as well;
Make sure you utilize the search engine often, to locate specific topics of interest and discussions. It will help the forum staff to keep down duplications of discussions, having to move posts and eliminate threads.

Your best course of action is to take it to your dealer and have them look at it. That's what you have a warranty for, it's their problem not yours. :)

The ticking could be anything from the high pressure fuel pump to a possible exhaust leak. Otherwise, it's impossible to determine anything and this is not a prominent issue with any VN or i30N. I can't recall a particular discussion regarding such and issue.

Posting a video or audio might to determine if there's actually an issue or just a normal sound. Additionally, Is worrying going to help fix a possible issue? :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Please, give yourself and members the opportunity of an introduction and take the time to read the rules of the forum as well;
Make sure you utilize the search engine often, to locate specific topics of interest and discussions. It will help the forum staff to keep down duplications of discussions, having to move posts and eliminate threads.

Your best course of action is to take it to your dealer and have them look at it. That's what you have a warranty for, it's their problem not yours. :)

The ticking could be anything from the high pressure fuel pump to a possible exhaust leak. Otherwise, it's impossible to determine anything and this is not a prominent issue with any VN or i30N. I can't recall a particular discussion regarding such and issue.

Posting a video or audio might to determine if there's actually an issue or just a normal sound. Additionally, Is worrying going to help fix a possible issue? :)

I made sure to utilize the search engine on both this forum and the other and even a facebook group, no one has had this issue, I have an appointment set up with the dealer next week, it only happens at idle and I just did my introduction thing and read the rules thank you for informing me to do so, you are right worrying will not fix the issue but here is a video of it happening, when it is not happening the car is in normal mode at the beginning of the video, where it begins happening is when the car is in N mode mid way through the video

First guess would be an exhaust rattle or possibly heatshield. If you walk around the car can you pinpoint roughly where it's coming from? Also, can you hear it in Normal if you lightly step on the gas to bring the revs to 950rpm? Last thing I'd try is a couple Custom changes to see if one causes the sound but the other doesn't. Try Engine in Normal but Exhaust in Sport+ then try Engine in Sport+ but exhaust in Normal (and Sport).

I doubt the Engine setting will affect it (other than raising rpm), might be a loose exhaust valve. This is the stock exhaust?

I was thinking exhaust leak too? Does the ticking go away or not as loud when warmed up? The only sort of ticking I have in my car is from the high pressure fuel pump but it is not like that. Let us know what you find?

Br,

-Mike

@Nomad17 may be correct. There's no valve tapping. Intake noise possibly but definately a rattle. Let your dealer take a gander at it.

What year VN 2019 or 20? Did you have the knock software update done yet? Any modifications or stock engine?:)

First guess would be an exhaust rattle or possibly heatshield. If you walk around the car can you pinpoint roughly where it's coming from? Also, can you hear it in Normal if you lightly step on the gas to bring the revs to 950rpm? Last thing I'd try is a couple Custom changes to see if one causes the sound but the other doesn't. Try Engine in Normal but Exhaust in Sport+ then try Engine in Sport+ but exhaust in Normal (and Sport).

I doubt the Engine setting will affect it (other than raising rpm), might be a loose exhaust valve. This is the stock exhaust?
Yes stock exhaust and I’ll definitely try that, to me it seems more like it is coming from the right of the car then the driver side

Oh, heh... If I remember correctly I had about the same sound when turning off the engine. Flywheel was borked. Get the car warmed up and a person underneath so they can check where the noise is coming from. If it's in the transmission area, chances are the flywheel is done.

Yea I am getting ticking too in my engine after doing a light pull in N mode which is strange. Later after work I drove it home and it was fine as the sound dissapeared. Later I turned on N mode, and I noticed from 1st gear it made it a almost faint droning sound that wasn't there before.